The Sword and Laser discussion

Local Group Meetups > WNY meetup?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kyle (new)

Kyle | 12 comments Is there any interest among fellow New Yorkers for a meetup? I didn't see any other posts about a meeting upstate. I'm in Rochester but possibly we could choose a midway point depending on location!

message 2: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6782 comments Mod
There was actually an attempt a few years ago: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

It just never seemed to take off from what I could tell.

Depending on where/when you meet, I'm in Buffalo a few times/year.

I'll be there the end of this month (10/27-30), but I'm not sure if I'd have time to meetup since I'm only there a few days.

Possibly in December too if you meet over Christmas weekend (12/22-26).

message 3: by Kyle (new)

Kyle | 12 comments Good to know, Rob! Thanks!

Let's see if there's anyone left from that 2 year old thread who's still interested...

message 4: by Todd (new)

Todd Carrozzi | 60 comments Yeah I feel bad we never really got anything off the ground, especially as two of us even live within probably a 15 minute drive of each other. I'd definitely be up for giving this another shot.
Of course the other somewhat ironic thing, Rob, is that I sometimes remember to check the MD/DC/VA meetup schedule as I am down in MD for work once a month...but I am generally in the Columbia/Annapolis Junction area and only for a couple days at a time, so that'd be unlikely to work out for me.

message 5: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6782 comments Mod
Todd wrote: ".but I am generally in the Columbia/Annapolis Junction area and only for a couple days at a time"

Yeah, that's close to where I work, but it's probably about 30-45 minutes from where we meet for S&L. We picked a location a bit more central between Maryland, DC and Northern Virginia.

And of course we always meet on Saturdays and if you're here for work, it's probably only during the week.

My hope is to drop in on the various meetups around the country if possible. I have a buddy in Seattle and if I can time it right I'm going to try to meet up with those guys.

It was really fun going to the San Francisco one awhile back, especially since I got to meet Veronica. There were a lot of cool people to meet in general, plus I got to checkout Borderlands.

We meet in an Irish pub here. :)

message 6: by Mariely (new)

Mariely | 6 comments Hi, I've only just started listening to the podcast, but I'm in Hamburg.

message 7: by Kyle (new)

Kyle | 12 comments Good to make your acquaintance, Knightmiss! That makes three of us now. Maybe we could end up meeting in Batavia although I'm not sure where Todd I'd located. If we find another WNYer, perhaps we can get a consensus.

Hopefully we can get some more folks if we just keep bumping this thread so people see it!

message 8: by Scott (new)

Scott | 86 comments I am in Syracuse so WNY is probably the closest for me

message 9: by Todd (new)

Todd Carrozzi | 60 comments Oh, I must have missed the notification about more posts on this. I am in Rochester, but pretty far west(close to the North Chili exit on 490). If we are trying to go middle ground from Syracuse to Hamburg, maybe even something around LeRoy (so quick in and out from the thruway) might not be a bad idea.

message 10: by Kyle (new)

Kyle | 12 comments I know exactly where that is, Todd! Great idea about the location, do you know of any suitable places in LeRoy that would be good for a meetup?

Is that too far to consider driving in, Knightmiss and Scott?

message 11: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (j-boo) | 322 comments I'm in CNY, so I could potentially join in with any shenanigans that get planned

message 12: by Todd (new)

Todd Carrozzi | 60 comments Kyle wrote: "I know exactly where that is, Todd! Great idea about the location, do you know of any suitable places in LeRoy that would be good for a meetup?

Is that too far to consider driving in, Knightmiss a..."

Sorry for not getting on here sooner. We are trying to get my parents moved out of their house and into a smaller place, which has been eating up a lot of my spare time lately. Anyway, no, although LeRoy is pretty close to me, I rarely go over there. Red Osier is out that way, but it wouldn't be a good place to hangout I think. There is a Mooney's Sports bar location there(I've never been to any of their locations, but allegedly great Mac and cheese). That might work.

message 13: by Kyle (new)

Kyle | 12 comments No need to apologize, Todd. This has been quite low on my priority list as well as my wife has been having some health issues. I don't think that I am up to organizing anything in the near future. I'll chime in if a motivated person steps up but for now I'm going to have to step aside from planning anything.

message 14: by Mariely (new)

Mariely | 6 comments hey all,
I have to be in Brockport on December 10th, probably til early afternoon, so I could go to Le Roy after.