Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Archive [General] > Books You Wish Everyone Would Read...

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7426 comments Mod
I don't know about you, but I constantly find myself thinking about some of the amazing obscure books I've read and lamenting that few others have read them. What awesome books do you wish people would read just so you'd have someone to talk about them with?

message 2: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

Margret | 3170 comments Mod
I’m sure everyone knows mine as I’ve beat this one to death but the Troy series beginning with The Lord of the Silver Bow by David Gemmell is just fabulous.

message 3: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2150 comments Margret wrote: "I’m sure everyone knows mine as I’ve beat this one to death but the Troy series beginning with The Lord of the Silver Bow by David Gemmell is just fabulous."

I’ll read them when they come out in audio next year.

My biggest would probably be Inda by Sherwood Smith which I’ve apparently been vocal enough about since a few of you are buddy reading it.

message 4: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Is Troy considered a fantasy or more of a historical fiction? I think my biggest holdup is my perception of genre.

Also I totally expedited Inda because of your praise.

message 5: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

I don't know if anyone else would even like them, but the two I finished and had no one to talk about with were Dragon Weather by Lawrence Watt-Evans and Heart of Muriel by Maggie Furey. Loved them!

Fool's Fate by Hobb is still the one I always want to talk about, but would never want to give spoilers and ruin it for someone. Everybody needs to indulge me and read it.

message 6: by Simi (new)

Simi Sunny | 73 comments I wanted one of friends to read a book that took place in WWII. I know he loves it. Ever heard of Wolf by Wolf series, by Ryan Graudin? I loved it!!

He said he would read it, but he forgets. :( Plus, he's not an avid reader like me.

Saul the Heir of Isauldur (krinnok) | 209 comments Anything by Michael Moorcock. Strangely enough, his books are surprisingly inconvenient to find in the US.

Also, Anathem, which, despite being written by a fairly famous author, few people I know have read it.

message 8: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

@Niki... hard to describe, kind of both? Historical Fiction but with some mysticism, and written by a Fantasy author so it has that feel to it. Most importantly the complex characters, so well written.

@Bill- there’s audio coming out?? That’s exciting!! They haven’t released any of his books on audio (in English anyways) much to my chagrin

message 9: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

Oh wow, I hadn’t realized they just released Drenai on audio. I gave up last year when I looked, thinking because he’s passed away now that they won’t be pursuing it

message 10: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2150 comments That’s probably why they are releasing it. Might switch to audio for Drenai as well.

message 11: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 16606 comments Looking at my 5 star ratings with the lowest # of other ratings, Marla Mason comes to mind in UF: Bone Shop (Marla Mason, Prequel #1) by T.A. Pratt Blood Engines (Marla Mason, #1) by T.A. Pratt ... I think this series is better if you start with the Bone Shop prequel for some backstory...

Agatha H/Girl Genius novelizations in Steampunk: Agatha H and the Airship City (Girl Genius Novels, #1) by Phil Foglio Agatha H and the Clockwork Princess (Girl Genius Novels, #2) by Phil Foglio Agatha H. and the Voice of the Castle (Girl Genius Novels, #3) by Phil Foglio -- an ongoing webcomic about Steampunk Mad Scientists that are being turned into non-picture books... I really enjoyed them on audio over the summer...

Slightly more popular, but for SF/Historical it's The Chronicles of St. Mary's: Just One Damned Thing After Another (The Chronicles of St Mary's, #1) by Jodi Taylor An Argumentation of Historians (The Chronicles of St Mary's, #9) by Jodi Taylor -- it's about time-traveling historians... much fun...

I don't think I've read enough fantasy yet to be recommending much...

message 13: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2918 comments You are doing this again to my TBR....

message 14: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
I feel like I generally advocate for most of my most beloved series and most of them are pretty well know. Series like Manifest Delusions which was a hidden gem when I started advocating for it 18 months ago has been widely read in the group.

Neither one of these are hidden gems but their probably the two I've advocated for that I don't think anybody has picked up on.

An Ember in the Ashes is the name of the first book and the series. It's YA which is dystopian and has some real grit to it. I gave both of the first two books 5* which I cannot think of another YA series I've ever done that for which I've read in the past 20 years. Book #3 comes out in 18 and #4 in 19 which I believe will conclude the series.

Empire of Storms Hope and Red is a three book series with book #3 coming out Nov-21st. The first two books were 5* and if book three is as good as the first two this will earn a spot in my top ten series. I think to enjoy this series you have to like an urban gritty feel. It's not correct to call this grim dark but it does have a wrong side of the tracks urban side to it and the language and slang might put some people off. I think Tammie for one didn't like that element in book one. There's also a turn of the 20th century Steampunk feel and an aristocracy with entitlement, art and a prim culture of the elite. The evil biomancers, pirates, crime bosses, spies......there's a lot going on and yet the author balances it with some great characters and I like that in book two he introduced more to the world.

message 15: by Frank (new)

Frank | 695 comments Read the first two book of Ember of the Ashes, they were wonderful for YA, and a bit dark which I enjoyed.
Looking forward also to the third book next year.

message 16: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Angela | 3555 comments Mod
Margret wrote: "I’m sure everyone knows mine as I’ve beat this one to death but the Troy series beginning with The Lord of the Silver Bow by David Gemmell is just fabulous."

That's been on my TBR for ages. So you're saying I should read it? ;-).

message 17: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

YES!! Now I’m scared I’ve overhyped it though

message 18: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Okay, I'm going to put it on my to read in 2018 shelf.

message 19: by Seán (new)

Seán | 602 comments Saul wrote: "Anything by Michael Moorcock. Strangely enough, his books are surprisingly inconvenient to find in the US.

Also, Anathem, which, despite being written by a fairly famous author, few..."

Anathem is such an incredible book, but I can understand a lot if people not getting into it straight away. It's a book I actually stopped reading at a cetain point, because I didn't want answers to some of the questions in the plot - I was enjoying the mystery too much! I did eventually finish it and wasn't disappointed.

For me, it's got to be Gene Wolfe. He is by my estimation the best SFF writer ever by a clear margin, and very few people seem to read much by him. I consider myself to have pretty good taste so can't understand how more folk haven't agreed with me on this point already ;)

message 20: by Martin (new)

Martin Apergis | 86 comments Hi guys
Probably not the best place to ask this but as good as any i guess since i've gained sime friends on this group. I recently read " The time machine" always been fascinated with time travel but if i could do it i would prefer to travel in the past and witness great events ive read about not just the future.
Having said that my question is can anyone reccomend any good time travel books for me or even a series that has time travel?

message 21: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 16606 comments Chronicles of St Mary's... exactly what you're looking for... and an awesome series

message 22: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3611 comments Margret wrote: "I’m sure everyone knows mine as I’ve beat this one to death but the Troy series beginning with The Lord of the Silver Bow by David Gemmell is just fabulous."

I've had the first book on my TBR list for awhile now but I may have to try to move it up. I love a good historical fiction story...which reminds me, I need to get back the Saxon Tales.

message 23: by Martin (last edited Oct 19, 2017 11:09AM) (new)

Martin Apergis | 86 comments Iain wrote: "Chronicles of St Mary's... exactly what you're looking for... and an awesome series"
Thank you
Are there any other books i should try as far as time travel?

message 24: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Martin wrote: "Hi guys
Probably not the best place to ask this but as good as any i guess since i've gained sime friends on this group. I recently read " The time machine" always been fascinated with time travel..."

There aren't many I've read where time travel is the main focus (or at least, not with the same atmosphere it sounds like you're searching for). My only recommend is a YA All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill - it was one of the few I thought handled time travel well enough to pass casual scrutiny and I really enjoyed it. :)

message 25: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

message 26: by Martin (new)

Martin Apergis | 86 comments Niki Hawkes wrote: "Martin wrote: "Hi guys
Probably not the best place to ask this but as good as any i guess since i've gained sime friends on this group. I recently read " The time machine" always been fascinated w..."

Thank you I'll check that out

message 27: by Martin (new)

Martin Apergis | 86 comments Scott wrote: "https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/4...

11/22/63 was excellent."

Great list there I'll check all those. I was wondering about that King novel though I've seen it around and i like King so maybe ill pick it up soon!

message 28: by Mike (last edited Oct 20, 2017 06:59AM) (new)

Mike  (mcrowd) | 2 comments Licanius Trilogy. Only the first two books have been published. The second in the series was actually published this past August. Theyre phenomenal, but unfortunately not very well known. I think it's a shame because they should be read far and wide. I felt the same about Blood Song when I read it. At the time Mr. Ryan was an indie author. I told everyone I could about Blood Song and eventually it started receiving the attention it deserved. Hopefully the same happens with Mr. Islington's Licanius Trilogy. Ironically I picked up the first book kn the series "The Shadow of What Was Lost" when the author was also an indie author. He has since been picked up by a major publisher.

message 29: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (last edited Oct 20, 2017 08:06AM) (new)

Kaladin Gwynbleidd Al Sorna wrote: "Licanius Trilogy. Only the first two books have been published. The second in the series was actually published this past August. Theyre phenomenal, but unfortunately not very well known. I think i..."

Great pick! Shadow of What was Lost was actually our book club pick here for September, so many of us have read it (and a few before that) so there are lots of people on here to geek out with. It was definitely one of my favorites of the year. :D

Anthony Ryan is in my top 3 - have you done Waking Fire yet??

message 30: by Miche (new)

Miche | 3092 comments Scott, An Ember in the Ashes will be a 4 books series. I concur that so far it has been a great series.

Interesting point is that a lot of people that normally raves most YA gave this one lower ratings. Too dark for them, maybe? However people that normally find most YA bland actually gave this one higher ratings.

message 31: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

That's another selling point for it lol. I've been stingy with YA lately.

message 32: by Mike (new)

Mike  (mcrowd) | 2 comments Niki Hawkes wrote: "Kaladin Gwynbleidd Al Sorna wrote: "Licanius Trilogy. Only the first two books have been published. The second in the series was actually published this past August. Theyre phenomenal, but unfortun..."

Im very new to the group and havent had the time to explore yet. So I didnt realize that about The Shadow of What Was Lost. Im happy it was chosen.

I have read Waking Fire but not the sequel. I understand it has been released recently or is shortly to be released. I enjoyed Waking Fire. To be blunt, I was a bit turned off by Ryan with Tower Lord so I didnt even read Queen of Fire. I loved Blood Song so much and I felt he destroyed something that could have been magnificent. With that, I had no plans to prioritize any of his future works.

I read a lot of the reviews for Waking Fire and decided Id give it a go. I read it a couple months ago I guess. Glad I did too. I really enjoyed it. Ill be reading the next in the series. Just not sure how soon.

message 33: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

I'd heard that when Ryan got picked up by a publisher they forced him to go a different direction with the story. I would have loved to have seen what he would have done on his own. I personally think Legion of Flame was just as good, if not better than Waking Fire so I don't think you'll be disappointed. :)

I'm also happy SoWWL was chosen for book club because I don't believe I would have read it soon otherwise. It's going to be a brutal wait for the last one.

message 34: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

I think I’m one of the only people who liked Tower Lord better than Blood Song. Especially loved the Frentis/“the woman” storyline

message 35: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Other than a small pacing issue I liked tower lord. Maybe not better than blood song though. I'm a sucker for a school setting.

message 36: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Scott wrote: "https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/4...

11/22/63 was excellent."

That was such a great book. It's the only Stephen King I've read and I was surprised how much I enjoyed it.

message 37: by Ahdam (new)

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2423 comments I've had blood song on my shelf for a year and I read halfway through it before I stopped I think there was something I didn't like the story going back then but I was looking for something different I need to get back into it and I think I remember most of it myself plus the extremely negative reviews in the last book didn't help

As for ember in the ashes I read that book and got halfway and was really digging it but I stopped I need to pick it up again unless it gets made into a film before then 😂😂😂

message 38: by Beste (new)

Beste | 1163 comments Young Elites has a special place for me. You know she would be what we call villain if the story was told from someone elses narrative but even I know she is wicked I feel she has right to do what she does. :D

message 39: by Loralie (new)

Loralie | 48 comments I think the Ketty Jay series by Chris Wooding is one of the most underhyped/underappreciated series that I know of. It's such a fun romp.

message 40: by Sinjid (new)

Sinjid | 27 comments The Fairy of Ku-She by M. Lucie Chin
This is a pretty unknown, as far as I'm aware, and underrated little book I picked up and I feel like it needs more love.
If you're in to older style fiction, especially Eastern, this could be for you.
Alright, so it's not THAT old, but it felt like I was reading an interesting ancient Chinese tale similar to Journey To The West and the like.
Don't mind that I gave it three stars myself, that's just because I can be on the harsh side when I'm rating.

message 41: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 4107 comments Pendra wrote: "I think the Ketty Jay series by Chris Wooding is one of the most underhyped/underappreciated series that I know of. It's such a fun romp."

That is a good series. We just finished a buddy read of it last month.