Historical Fictionistas discussion

Recommendations? > Books set during French Revolution

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Tim The Enchanter | -4 comments I'm looking for some books set during the French revolution. The only I do not want is a historical romance. Outside of that, I am open to suggestions.

message 2: by Chris (last edited Oct 04, 2017 05:19PM) (new)

Chris (cdavies1951) | 22 comments I liked The Officer's Prey by Armand Cabasson by Armand Cabasson and another of his books Wolf Hunt The Napoleonic Murders by Armand Cabasson .

The Richard Sharpe books by Bernard Cornwell are good. Iain Gale has some others.

Simon Scarrow has a good series of books about Napoleon and Wellington.

message 3: by Ashley Marie (last edited Oct 04, 2017 05:20PM) (new)

message 4: by Megan (new)

Megan Revolution, by Jennifer Donnelly has a dual timeline of past and present, with the past set in the Revolution.

I also just recently read Charles Dickens' A Tale of Two Cities for my literature class.

message 5: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 609 comments I haven’t read it, but many have praised Hilary Mantel’s French Revolution novel, A Place of Greater Safety.

message 6: by Alice (last edited Oct 04, 2017 10:00PM) (new)

Alice Poon (alice_poon) Tim, I read and liked A Place of Greater Safety a lot.

I also absolutely loved Victor Hugo's Ninety-Three.

For non-fiction, Marie Antoinette: The Journey is my favorite.

message 7: by Liz (new)

Liz Gibson | 41 comments If you can find a copy, Mary Medawar's Under the Tricolor is fantastic. Also agree with Madame Tussaud by Michelle Moran. The Hidden Diary of Marie Antoinette by Carolly Erickson is great and if you want to go a bit later, the Josephine Bonaparte trilogy by Sandra Gulland is one of my absolute favorites. Also, The Scarlet Pimpernel is always a classic, though from the English perspective.

But I'm interested to read more as well so I want to keep up with this thread!

Tim The Enchanter | -4 comments Some good suggestions. I have always avoided Philippa Gregory. I always got the impression they were heavy on romance. Am I mistaken? A Place of Greater Safety looks good. There doesn't seem to be a lot set during this period or at least not from the French perspective.

message 9: by Liz (new)

Liz Gibson | 41 comments Tim The Enchanter wrote: "Some good suggestions. I have always avoided Philippa Gregory. I always got the impression they were heavy on romance. Am I mistaken? A Place of Greater Safety looks good. There doesn't seem to be ..."

Nope; there's not. I try to find everything I possible can regarding the French Revolution but there isn't a ton of historical fiction out there, sadly.

message 10: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 609 comments There was an earlier thread about books with Lafayette as a major character; you might find some options there, though some of the books will be about his time in the Americas.

And what about The Scarlet Pimpernel?

message 11: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) | 2249 comments Tim The Enchanter wrote: "Some good suggestions. I have always avoided Philippa Gregory. I always got the impression they were heavy on romance. Am I mistaken? A Place of Greater Safety looks good. There doesn't seem to be ..."

I've only read one from the collection suggested, but yes Gregory does tend to focus on the romance aspect. You'll also want to avoid her if you are looking for more historical accurate books. She tends to change things quite a bit for the sake of the story and focuses more on the characters than on the actual history. Some people are okay with this, but you'll be disappointed if you go in looking for accuracy. For me her books have been hit or miss.

message 12: by Alice (new)

Alice Poon (alice_poon) Tim The Enchanter wrote: "Some good suggestions. I have always avoided Philippa Gregory. I always got the impression they were heavy on romance. Am I mistaken? A Place of Greater Safety looks good. There doesn't seem to be ..."

Tim, I've just stumbled upon a nice review of a recently published historical novel Where the Light Falls, and I've added it to my to-read list.

message 13: by Bkwmlee (last edited Oct 06, 2017 11:36AM) (new)

Bkwmlee | 13 comments Alice wrote: "Tim The Enchanter wrote: "Some good suggestions. I have always avoided Philippa Gregory. I always got the impression they were heavy on romance. Am I mistaken? A Place of Greater Safety looks good...."

I was actually going to suggest Where the Light Falls as well. I have the book but haven't had a chance to read it yet. The summary sounds good though and a few of my Goodreads friends recommended it, so probably going to give it a try closer to the end of the year.

message 14: by Anne (new)

Anne (gloucester) | 23 comments I know of the trilogy about Marie Antoinette by Juliet Grey (pen name for my friend Leslie Carroll), but I haven't read them so I can't tell you if there's too much romance in them or not!

message 16: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Lesley (cplesley) | 684 comments Second The Scarlet Pimpernel. Not all the sequels are equally good, but the last one, The Triumph of the Scarlet Pimpernel, is. See also my dual-time commentary on the original, The Not Exactly Scarlet Pimpernel.

Others include Spirit of Lost Angels. The other suggestions here are also good.

message 17: by Elissa (new)

Elissa Matthews | 38 comments It’s a touch romantic, but how about Désirée by Annemarie Selinko? It’s the story of the revolution as seen through the eyes of napoleon’s first fiancé, who went on to become the first Bernadotte queen of Sweden.