Powell's Indiespensable Book Club discussion

Book Talk > New to Powell’s

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (mskimandtwins) | 5 comments Hi! I’m new to this group and to getting books from Powell’s. I live on California’s central coast and have 2 kids and 2 troublemaking dachshunds. Looking forward to discussing Sing, Unburied, Sing!

message 2: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Martin | 24 comments Mod
Hi Kimberly! I'm Sam--Welcome to the group and to the Powell's subscription service! I've been receiving books for a few years now and its been so nice to have a place to come to and dump my thoughts about these books, and get interesting back and forth from others. I'm from California, too (southern, not as beautiful as the central coast!!) but moved to NC a few years ago and wanted to take a sense of home with me (Powell's & OR feels like home, so close to California.) I'm so glad you're here and I'm excited to read Sing, Unburied, Sing with you!

message 3: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (mskimandtwins) | 5 comments I’ve finished the book!

So, I feel like the author didn’t give the mom enough redeeming qualities. She came through as a villain to me,

message 4: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Martin | 24 comments Mod
I definitely agree—Ward really stressed that she was a child with a child. I liked this book for the revealing aspects of life lived as a interracial couple, but the appearance of ghosts and apparitions haunting Jojo and his mother dragged for me. The writing had vibrancy but I just lost interest—it was like Ward reaching for Toni Morrison for inspiration and coming up just a little short. Anybody agree?

message 5: by K. (new)

K. Olson | 5 comments I really liked this book and although the mother came across as a villain at times, I also felt sorry for her. I think the ghosts and flashbacks did a decent job of creating that empathy. I found myself really hoping she would straighten herself out and the kids would be okay despite it all.