DiverseCity discussion

There's Someone Inside Your House
This topic is about There's Someone Inside Your House
TSIYH Discussion > Chapters 1-5

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Arianna Lekhraj | 136 comments Mod
Yay for all the spooky reads! Post your spoilery thoughts about Chapters 1-5 of TSIYH!

Maria Lopez | 85 comments Mod
This is obviously sooo different from Perkins usual stuff. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet.. There aren't any characters that stand out to me or that I particularly like.. but it's still the beginning.. There are a lot of mysteries going on & with it being a shortish book, I'm interested in seeing how this'll play out.

Nicole (a_loverofbooks) (a_loverofbooks) | 170 comments Mod
I am so happy to be reading something scary! I think is the first time I have read something seasonal in October! So YAY! That first chapter scared me! And it was funny because I was reading it on the train and as it got to the end of the chapter with Haley waking up to the ticking, the train made a bang noise and I jumped out of my skin! It was very embarrassing but funny! There are already so many diverse characters! Darby is transgender, our protagonist is from Hawaii, Alex is borderline goth and Ollie is very mysterious with his pink hair...

Although I agree that this book is very different from Stephanie Perkins' other work, the romance is still present and has already given me the same feels as her other books did. I am happy she kept this romantic element because her incredible ability to write love stories is what made me love her to begin with! I just hope the romance is constant to make the book slightly less intense on the horror side.

Although the fact that I know this book is a horror is making me feel the same paranoia as the characters. Makani hears something outside her window and thinks it's the neighbour's cat. All the cupboards are left open and doors are unlocked at Makani's house... I'm just waiting for the scariness to pop out at me. I'm as paranoid as they are which again is Stephanie Perkins' incredible writing ability.

Also I am so curious to know what it is Makani did in Hawaii. Something so bad she had to change her name. Something so bad it was all over social media. Something so bad, none of her old friends want to know her.

Also her Grandma is very funny. I laughed out loud when Makani gets a phone call from Ollie at the dinner table. But again the paranoia. I thought - all the way up until they spoke on the phone in her room - that the text was from the killer and they were just pretending to be Ollie. I was wrong but I am really feeling the suspense.

Nicole (a_loverofbooks) (a_loverofbooks) | 170 comments Mod
Excuse the full on review of the first five chapters of the book! Haha

Maria Lopez | 85 comments Mod
Ok I was wondering about Darby! I'm glad you cleared that up! I'm glad you're liking it! I'm having a difficult time getting into the story, I'm not scared or spooked at all 🙈

Arianna Lekhraj | 136 comments Mod
Sorry I'm so late!! Psats don't allow much reading time :/ But i agree with Nicole, Haley's murder did catch my attention quite a bit!! Just started reading chapter 6 and I just feel like it's dragging a bit. I want there to be action and I keep waiting for it so I keep reading!! I am kind of curious about Makani's secret as well, but I'm not too invested in it. I feel like the conversations between Makani and Ollie aren't really advancing the plot and seem pretty pointless to me. But I really do enjoy the diversity in terms of race and sexuality and appearance! Right now I'm kind of just hoping for some action to even something to advance the plot...