What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

A Place to Call Home
This topic is about A Place to Call Home
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA/teen fiction homeless girl raises baby brother. [s]

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 4 comments Hello! I just joined Goodreads in the hope that you good people may help me find this book.

It's a YA book I read sometime in the mid/late 90s, though it could have been written earlier than that.

It deals with a teen girl who is very poor, she often had to look after her baby brother (and maybe younger sister?). Her mother dies and I think there may be alcohol involved but I can't be sure, and the girl is left to take care of her siblings alone. She has to buy diapers and formula for the brother and has a bunch of arguments with the old man curmudgeonly store owner. I think she may have a romance with a boy classmate?
I also remember the heat in the house going out.

SPOLER

The end is what I remember most. The brother and sister are adopted by a young cute couple and the girl is upset because she's afraid of never being adopted. But she ends up getting adopted by the curmudgeonly store owner!

I think it probably wasn't the most well written book. It just suddenly struck me a few days ago and I couldn't think of the title to save my life and googling was no help.
Anyway, thank you for your time/help!!!!

message 2: by Miranda (new)

Miranda | 13 comments This sounds like a book I read in junior high. Homecoming by Cynthia Voigt. It is the first book in the series. Maybe that is the book you are looking for?

message 3: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 4 comments Thank you Miranda! Not it, though I remember reading Homecoming too.

message 4: by Miranda (new)

Miranda | 13 comments Do you remember anything else about the book? The name of the main character or her siblings? Or what state this story was set in?

message 5: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 4 comments Hi Miranda, sorry for the delay! I can't remember any names or states. I'm not even sure it specified a place, though they did discuss seasons and a cold winter. I know that's probably unhelpful.

message 6: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4873 comments Maybe, A Place to Call Home A Place to Call Home by Jackie French Koller ?

Time period/location story takes place?
Part of a series?
Anything about the cover?

message 7: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 4 comments YES!! That's it! Thank you so much.
I thought the cover was green but got it confused with My Brother, My Sister, And I by Yoko Kawashima Watkins :X