What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Mystery, Detective(?) Fiction book that has psychological tricks...

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Deniz (last edited Oct 04, 2017 03:35PM) (new)

Deniz | 4 comments Hi there.

I don't remember when I read this book, it was probably in the past 5 years. I remember something happening to one of the minor (?) characters in the book.

This minor character (Let's call him A) was in the verge of commiting suicide, because he had a hard life. His girlfriend left him, he quit his job, and he was kind of an outcast in society.

I remember that he was going to jump from somewhere high, probably indoors, but a person was already waiting for him there (?) or had left a note (Let's call him B). B convinced A that there was no point in committing suicide, and he told A that A was going to live for B from now on, by listening to what B tells him to do.

Some time passed, and B helped A get on his feet by helping him quit smoking, by using a specific technique.
B would call A at different times, and would force A to smoke a certain number of cigarettes. B called A at 2 AM, and told him to smoke another one... He called A to make him smoke without his will, and after a while, A begged B to let him "not smoke".

B also helped A get over his anxiety, by making him go to a bakery and wait in a line to buy bread. At the checkout part, B made A change his decision of bread 5 times, resulting in A getting VERY embarassed and people behind him in line, getting angry.

I remember one last thing. B made A go to a luxurious shop filled with expensive watches, that A would never be able to buy. A went there and looked around, with the help of the shop assistant for an hour, and B told him to quit the shop without buying anything.

This is all I remember. Thanks for your help!

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37757 comments Mod
Where and when is it set? (Country, region, decade) Author female or male? Remember the cover?

message 3: by Deniz (new)

Deniz | 4 comments Hey!
Unforfunately I don't remember the country :/ But the author is male. I probably am biased, but I think the book cover was only black and white.

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37757 comments Mod
Deniz, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 5: by Deniz (new)

Deniz | 4 comments Hi there! I haven't found the book yet..

message 6: by Deniz (new)

Deniz | 4 comments I have a tip now though, I was reading a childrens book series called "Skullduggery pleasant" by derek landy. Maybe it was in one of his books. I'm thinking of rereading the series ;)

message 7: by Kris (last edited Mar 06, 2020 06:37AM) (new)

Kris | 33324 comments Mod
Deniz, can we eliminate Quitters, Inc by Stephen King?

Can you tell us about the main character (e.g., gender, age, police or PI, personality)? Is "B" the main character, a psychiatrist or a friend of "A"?

What type of mystery novel (e.g., murder, psychological thriller, gritty crime)?

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Quitters, Inc (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Stephen King (other topics)