Play Book Tag discussion

Footnotes 2017-2018 > Book Club Recs Needed

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Doughgirl5562 (new)

Doughgirl5562 | 727 comments Hi PBTers!

I've been mostly lurking but am coming out of the shadows to ask for your help.

My library book club is deciding on our 2018 books tomorrow (Thursday) night, and I need to bring 2-3 book recommendations. But since most of my reading has been Outlander-centric - or books the book club has already read - or fluff books like cozy mysteries, I have only come up with one book so far (Furiously Happy by Jenny Lawson).

So throw your best recommendations at me please! Since this is a library book club, current best sellers won't work because the wait list would be too long. But don't be afraid to recommend them. I'll just keep them on the list for next year smile emoticon:-). Nothing toooo long (under 450 pages) - the shorter the better. Both fiction and non-fiction. Non-Fiction of all kinds, Literary Fiction, Historical Fiction, Women's Fiction are all good. I think we've even read what was technically a YA book in the past, but it was a literary YA book. We like books that generate a good discussion.

Ready ... Set .... Recommend!

message 2: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments I just read Without You, There Is No Us: My Time with the Sons of North Korea's Elite for my book club and we had a great discussion. Really interesting book and highly relevant given current North Korea tensions

message 3: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments Two that I've read of late that would generate a good discussion are The Power by Naomi Alderman (a great audio too) and Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie.

message 4: by Doughgirl5562 (new)

Doughgirl5562 | 727 comments Jen wrote: "I just read Without You, There Is No Us: My Time with the Sons of North Korea's Elite for my book club and we had a great discussion. Really interesting book and highly relevant giv..."

Oooh - sounds interesting!

message 5: by Doughgirl5562 (new)

Doughgirl5562 | 727 comments Susie wrote: "Two that I've read of late that would generate a good discussion are The Power by Naomi Alderman (a great audio too) and Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie."

I know that this book club read Americanah last year. I missed the discussion because I was too busy to read the book, but it sounds like I should add it back to my TBR list! And I'll check out The Power.

Thanks for the Recs!

message 6: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8312 comments I think one of my best book club discussions was for The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks

We could have kept going and going and going way past the time we were supposed to be wrapping up!

message 7: by LibraryCin (last edited Oct 04, 2017 07:20PM) (new)

LibraryCin | 8312 comments Others that were good discussions, from what I remember:

The Dinner / Herman Koch (though not everyone liked it!)
The Light Between Oceans / M.L. Stedman
The Book of Negroes / Lawrence Hill
We Need to Talk About Kevin / Lionel Shriver

And some I just really liked. Can't remember how the discussion went:
The Nightingale / Kristin Hannah
The Pearl That Broke Its Shell / Nadia Hashimi
I think both of those will make my favourites list this year!
Also:
Me & Emma / Elizabeth Flock
The Forgotten Garden / Kate Morton

Sorry, got carried away looking back at all my previous book club books! :-)

message 8: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5790 comments Here are a few that haven't been mentioned yet:

The Signature of All Things by Elizabeth Gilbert (Though, at 501 pg, it may be too long for you)

Our Souls at Night by Kent Haruf

Under This Unbroken Sky by Shandi Mitchell

And for nonfiction:
The Gatekeeper: Missy LeHand, FDR, and the Untold Story of the Partnership That Defined a Presidency by Kathryn Smith

message 9: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I agree that Our Souls at Night would make for a great discussion. I am so in love with him!

message 10: by annapi (new)

annapi | 4965 comments Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End by Atul Gawande. A subject that sorely needs to be discussed more!

message 11: by Jenni Elyse (last edited Oct 05, 2017 02:04PM) (new)

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1302 comments Out of all the books my book club has read, the following have had the best/most discussions:

What Alice Forgot
Landline
Still Alice
I am Malala
Me Before You
Animal Farm
Unbroken
Maus
Unwind
The Handmaid's Tale

message 12: by Doughgirl5562 (new)

Doughgirl5562 | 727 comments LibraryCin wrote: "I think one of my best book club discussions was for The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks

We could have kept going and going and going way past the time we were supposed to be wrapp..."

Another one that my book club has already read - but I missed the discussion. But I agree!

message 13: by Doughgirl5562 (new)

Doughgirl5562 | 727 comments LibraryCin wrote: "Others that were good discussions, from what I remember:

The Dinner / Herman Koch (though not everyone liked it!)

We've already done several of these. I especially remember The Dinner. Not a single likeable character in it, but such a thought provoking book! We had a great discussion about it.

I'll check out the others that we haven't discussed in the past. Thanks!

message 14: by Doughgirl5562 (new)

Doughgirl5562 | 727 comments Thanks everyone! I got so many good recommendations. If I haven't responded directly to your post, be assured that I did read it.

Interestingly, I asked this same question on another on-line book group I belong to on FB. Two of the same books came up as recommendations both there and here:

- Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End by Atul Gawande, and

- Our Souls at Night by Kent Haruf.

I'll let you know what our book club decides on!