CleanReads.com discussion

Six Pack Emergence
This topic is about Six Pack Emergence
Author Q&A: B.W. Morris - Six Pack: Emergence

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by B.W. (new)

B.W. Morris (sixpackwriter) | 27 comments We're starting a series of author Q&As here at the CleanReads.com discussion board. I'll start it off with my debut novel, Six Pack: Emergence.

The blurb:

Just weeks before Tyler Ward is to graduate from secondary school, he learns the truth about Novusordo and how a drink controls the population. After sharing this information with his five friends, they visit a professor’s house, take another drink and gain strange powers. It leads to them learning more about how the government controls people and the discovery of a movement against the government. Calling themselves the Six Pack, Tyler and his friends must learn how their powers can change society. But they first must learn to trust this movement… and even each other.

I'll share with you a little trivia about the book in a reply, but everyone is free to ask questions.

Each Wednesday, I hope to post a new thread featuring another Clean Reads author.

message 2: by B.W. (new)

B.W. Morris (sixpackwriter) | 27 comments OK, let me start by sharing a link to a blog post which has a little more information about the book.

http://relaxingwithsixpack.blogspot.c...

And now, I'll share with you an Easter egg I put in the book!

When Tyler Ward is asked to read Diane Williams' mind to learn what number she is thinking about, he replies, "1,971." The number refers to the year I was born, 1971.

message 3: by Eve (new)

Eve Culley | 14 comments I am always curious about how long it takes a writer to complete their books. Since this was your first book did it take longer or about the same as your other book(s)?
Also, any pearls of wisdom you can pass on to beginning authors?

message 4: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jenniferfroelich) | 25 comments Cool! I was also born in 1971. :D

message 5: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jenniferfroelich) | 25 comments I love the concept for this book! My question is: How did you come up with what powers your characters would possess? Did you try to avoid powers similar to famous super heroes, like Superman, Spiderman, etc.?

message 6: by B.W. (new)

B.W. Morris (sixpackwriter) | 27 comments Eve wrote: "I am always curious about how long it takes a writer to complete their books. Since this was your first book did it take longer or about the same as your other book(s)?
Also, any pearls of wisdom y..."

The first book took me about a year to complete, from first draft to final draft, and it went through six drafts before I had one ready to submit to agents and publishers.

My second book went through four drafts and was about a nine-month process to complete before it was submitted. What I learned is that it's better to do fewer drafts before you submit it -- the third book I'm writing has gone through two drafts and a polish and I'm soon to be looking for beta readers.

As far as advice for new writers, the biggest advice I can give you is to read a lot, and the next piece is to write a lot. Aside from those two that nearly every writer will share, the piece of advice I would give is to be open to criticism and listen to what others suggest, because that feedback can be crucial to improving your writing.

message 7: by B.W. (new)

B.W. Morris (sixpackwriter) | 27 comments Jennifer wrote: "I love the concept for this book! My question is: How did you come up with what powers your characters would possess? Did you try to avoid powers similar to famous super heroes, like Superman, Spid..."

When I envisioned the superhero team, I wanted to stick with the idea that their greatest talent or ability would be enhanced, so I thought about such talents and abilities and how they would be connected to a certain power. I also wanted to think about how the talents would complement one another and get across the idea about how they would have to work together.

Tyler's telepathic abilities go back to his intelligence -- it seemed natural that an intelligent person would be likely to gain telepathic abilities.

Jessica is also intelligent, but she's creative and a talented artist. Since artists need to use their mind and hands to create something, I figured telekinesis would be what she'd develop.

I originally envisioned Stacy as being a cheerleader, but as the world and plot took shape, I changed her to being a gymnast. And because gymnasts are agile and light on their feet, that led to her enhanced agility.

David was originally going to be a football player, but as I created this world, I determined there would be no organized team sports, though some individual sports for teens to do as a recreational activity would be part of their school structure. So I made him a shot put thrower, something that requires strength. (Also, I made him the shy member, which I thought was an interesting contrast to his physical strength.)

I knew that in this world I would have shooting sports as a recreational activity, because in this world, it's used to determine who is best suited for the military. That's where Brad came in and, because he's a good marksmen, he would have sharp eyes and his vision would be enhanced.

Linda is pretty straightforward -- she's a sprinter, so she gains increased speed. On another note, I wanted a female speedster because there are hardly any in the world of superheroes. Most of the notable speedsters are male.

Finally, the one thing I knew I wasn't going to do was make anybody invulnerable. Nobody was going to be like Superman, as in being so powerful that he or she could fight off almost everyone and take all the punishment.

message 8: by Eve (new)

Eve Culley | 14 comments Thank you very much for doing this. This gives the rest of us a pattern to follow.

message 9: by Melody (new)

Melody Delgado | 13 comments A year is still pretty quick by a lot of standards. I assume you go quicker the more novels you write. Hope so! Thanks for sharing your insights.

message 10: by Brett (new)

Brett Armstrong | 13 comments I liked the point you made about Linda and female speedsters. I hadn't really given that much thought before.

Is there any particular character or comic series that really inspired you as you were writing the book? And are there any other places where you specifically aimed to break the mold so to speak?

message 11: by B.W. (new)

B.W. Morris (sixpackwriter) | 27 comments Brett wrote: "I liked the point you made about Linda and female speedsters. I hadn't really given that much thought before.

Is there any particular character or comic series that really inspired you as you wer..."

Young Justice (an animated DC series) inspired quite a bit of my writing. I liked the complexity of the characters in that series and how their personalities bounced off one another.

As far as "breaking the mold" goes, I wanted to avoid, at least in the first book, the idea that a superpowered antagonist would immediately come about. That tends to be a pattern in a lot of superhero series and movies, but I didn't want to go that route too quickly, especially because the means that these teens gained their powers is a new development. Plus I thought it was more interesting to explore stories in which the teens would learn that there's sometimes more to solving a problem than just using their powers.

message 12: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jenniferfroelich) | 25 comments B.W. wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "I love the concept for this book! My question is: How did you come up with what powers your characters would possess? Did you try to avoid powers similar to famous super heroes, li..."

Thank you. That's fabulous. I love how much thought you put into it. It makes for well-rounded characters.