FBFM discussion

Welcome!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 2,506 (2506 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 50 51

message 1: by Cluny (new)

Cluny | 201 comments Mod
Hope someone finds this group again from mean dead aunt ammy site.....right now I am alone, with NO friends....but I have several books to keep me company

message 2: by Ginger (new)

Ginger Blymyer (gingersugar) | 4 comments Hi Cluny, found you and where to write. I also found Kindle Kitchen Friends on Facebook and it is gathering folks. I did write on my Facebook page to come here. I think we could have both. I have never opened a group except one for Ramsey on Facebook. But we should have both and there we can see photos too.

message 3: by LindaB (new)

LindaB | 12 comments I've followed Ginger here.

message 4: by Cluny (new)

Cluny | 201 comments Mod
Hi Linda. Is it my imagination or does your profile pic strongly resemble Ginger? Mine is of my four legged Lhasa Apso "child" who loves browsing in bookstores and having people tell him he's cute

message 5: by LindaB (new)

LindaB | 12 comments Cluny wrote: "Hi Linda. Is it my imagination or does your profile pic strongly resemble Ginger? Mine is of my four legged Lhasa Apso "child" who loves browsing in bookstores and having people tell him he's cute"

Yes, now that you pointed it out, I do see the resemblance. I guess I need a new profile pic so people don't get confused.

message 6: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 76 comments I'm here! I'm here! I only found out because something Ginger mentioned. Do you think anyone else like Maine or Jacquie will know?

message 7: by Cluny (new)

Cluny | 201 comments Mod
Kathy wrote: "I'm here! I'm here! I only found out because something Ginger mentioned. Do you think anyone else like Maine or Jacquie will know?"

I think that I may have sent Maine an invite...do not have many contact info.

message 8: by LindaB (new)

LindaB | 12 comments Kathy wrote: "I'm here! I'm here! I only found out because something Ginger mentioned. Do you think anyone else like Maine or Jacquie will know?"

I posted a link to this group on the FBFM Facebook page last night.

message 9: by Cluny (new)

Cluny | 201 comments Mod
Thanks for posting to facebook. I do not do facebook.

message 10: by Lee (new)

Lee Hoekje | 492 comments Cluny wrote: "Hope someone finds this group again from mean dead aunt ammy site.....right now I am alone, with NO friends....but I have several books to keep me company"

message 11: by Lee (new)

Lee Hoekje | 492 comments I seem to have found you clunky, but am not sure how to write. I will work on it.

You will know it is me because my spell check fixed your name the usual way!

Don't know why Amy kicked us out. Hope we find each other again.

Lee

message 12: by Cluny (new)

Cluny | 201 comments Mod
Yeah! You're here Lee. I am still trying to figure out how this site will best work.How are you feeling?

message 13: by Lee (new)

Lee Hoekje | 492 comments Lee wrote: "I seem to have found you clunky, but am not sure how to write. I will work on it.

You will know it is me because my spell check fixed your name the usual way!

Don't know why Amy kicked us out. Ho..."

Cluny and others I managed to find my way back this morning. Certainly miss our group. I have twice written on the Facebook page and pushed publish but don't see it coming up.

As I recall Cluny don't you live in the Chicago area? If so it has probably been cold lately as it certainly has been here in Northern Michigan. And rainy! Hard to believe it is October already.

Read several books lately but none were great. However I have started the Alexander McCall smith books and they are charming. Wonder if any you have read the ones about the coroner Siri. i think the author is Colin Cotteril.

Lee

message 14: by Night Owl (new)

Night Owl | 858 comments I just found this thread. A long time lurker who misses the old forums and all the people in the groups I followed. I will become a plurker to keep you company if that is okay with you.

message 15: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 76 comments Night owl, welcome. Sure hope you feel free to contribute, too!

Lee, I am glad to see you! I have been wondering how you are feeling.
Kathy

message 16: by Cluny (new)

Cluny | 201 comments Mod
Lee
Never could really get into McCall Smith books thoso many readers love his books. Read a few of "Siri" series, liked alot but not enough to avidly continue the series. Weather in Chicago had a little bite to it for two days but compared to January , nothing to comlain (much) about.

Night Owl
Welcome to lurk! Feel free to post as we love getting new recommendations, recipes and whatever. We promise not to bite!

message 17: by Night Owl (last edited Oct 14, 2017 09:25PM) (new)

Night Owl | 858 comments Thanks for the welcome. I miss all the chats that were on the other unmentionable site. I read mysteries, romance, almost anything except for books with weird stories. Love cookbooks for the recipes although I do not cook or bake as I used to. No pets because of allergies.

message 18: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 76 comments Night Owl wrote: "Thanks for the welcome. I live in Canada and miss all the chats that were on the other unmentionable site. I read mysteries, romance, almost anything except for books with weird stories. Love cookb..."

Night Owl, I don’t enjoy cooking nearly as much as I did when I was younger. I still collect all the recipes that strike my fancy so when the notion strikes me to cook something wonderful, I am ready!
Kathy

message 19: by Night Owl (new)

Night Owl | 858 comments Kathy wrote: "Night Owl wrote: "Thanks for the welcome. I live in Canada and miss all the chats that were on the other unmentionable site. I read mysteries, romance, almost anything except for books with weird s..."

I do the same. Only cook a lot if family is coming over for dinner. Otherwise it is whatever is in the freezer.

message 20: by Lee (new)

Lee Hoekje | 492 comments I downloaded the goodreads app so should be able to find you again. There are several of us on Facebook, the old friendsbooks etc one.

Cold here today and raining. There is a tree down in my front yard and lawn all torn up, waiting for tree man. Hundreds of birds around...must be migration time. They follow the lake edge.

Read a lot and watched a lot but nothing great. Any good shows you know of? They all look pretty violent.

Lee, Saturday October 14

message 21: by Night Owl (last edited Oct 14, 2017 05:35PM) (new)

Night Owl | 858 comments Lee wrote: "I downloaded the goodreads app so should be able to find you again. There are several of us on Facebook, the old friendsbooks etc one.

Cold here today and raining. There is a tree down in my front..."

I don't do facebook. I used to follow the FBFM thread before it was shut down. I like home improvement shows. There is not much on TV to watch that catches my interest.

message 22: by Lee (last edited Oct 15, 2017 09:02AM) (new)

Lee Hoekje | 492 comments Cluny, I don't really follow the books I mentioned, as i read only books as a rule which are 99 cents or $1.99. If it us more than that I think a long time before I buy. It does seem to me as if the past year or so all the inexpensive books are either ones I read 50 ye ars ago or else ones which don't interest me....dystopian, religious and romance.

But if there is nothing else I will even read those.

For those who do Facebook, Joan has started a new one called LoveChatting.

Lee

message 23: by Lee (new)

Lee Hoekje | 492 comments Wind whipping my trees and bushes and getting colder by the minute, last night I turned on my electric blanket, both sides. Felt good.

Color has been slow but I noticed some red maple trees as I went out at the crack of dawn to buy cat food. There s nothing like two very annoyed cats when you run out of food. Somehow they get their opinions across!!! I also bought a big bag of shrimp so will do something good with them tonight.

Not sure what, but anything with shrimp is good. I was going to make salad, but as it is so cold I might put them in some fettuccini Alfredo.

Lee

message 24: by Night Owl (new)

Night Owl | 858 comments Hi Lee

The leaves are just starting to turn here also.

Have you tried getting the free books that are listed on Amazon or the free books from the Guttenberg library on the internet. That is where I get mine. I also borrow on the overdrive app from my library. You need a library card but the library should be able to help you set up your tablet to download them at home and not have to go to it. I have not been in the building since I joined 4 years ago. Sometimes I have to wait for the latest one but I always find something to read.

message 25: by Lee (new)

Lee Hoekje | 492 comments Hi n.o....when I first started on my iPad about 5 years ago I read those 100 free books but soon realized I had already read most except for the 10 variations of the bible. I was reading Wind in the willows and Alice in Wonderland for about the 5th time when I discovered Book Bub, Book Shout, and a dozn others, and then joined amazon.

At first this worked but soon it became obvious that they were repeating, and since their squabble with Hatchet they have had many fewer books in my price range that I like. Some I go on fits and reread whole groups, doing all of one author and so on.

Biggest problem is that I was ill a year ago and this resulted in loosing energy, my eyesight, my hearing and much of my brain. This has made reading more difficult!!! So it's hard for me to read really good books but I don't like easy books! Silly!

I should really find something else to do!!!

Now I have heated up my electric blanket and am going to bed!

Lee

message 26: by Night Owl (new)

Night Owl | 858 comments I am in the middle of listening to an Inspector gramache audiobook by Louise penny on my iPad that I borrowed from my library. It is a fairly new release and I get to do two things at once that way.

message 27: by Lee (new)

Lee Hoekje | 492 comments You really are a night owl aren't you!

I noticed there was a new inśpectir Gamaxche. I have tried the library but have not figured it out yet.

My iPod is old and does not always work.

Lee

message 28: by Night Owl (last edited Oct 19, 2017 03:06PM) (new)

Night Owl | 858 comments Lee

This one was free and is from an established author you might like it. Don't know how long it will stay free.

The Darling Songbirds (The Songbirds of Darling Bay Book 1 Rachel Herron

Yes I am a night owl. I hope it is okay to post this. If it is a problem let me know and I will remove it.

message 29: by Lee (new)

Lee Hoekje | 492 comments Good heavens....you can post anything. Iknow that name, I will look for it.

I was just amused when I turned on my iPad and saw you had posted at 2 in the morning!

Lee

message 30: by Night Owl (last edited Oct 17, 2017 10:43AM) (new)

Night Owl | 858 comments Lee wrote: "Good heavens....you can post anything. Iknow that name, I will look for it.

I was just amused when I turned on my iPad and saw you had posted at 2 in the morning!

Lee"

I used to buy her DTB's when I was working. I just got it myself so have not read it yet.

I do not sleep as well at night as I used to. A lot of time I am up reading trying to fall asleep.

message 31: by Lee (new)

Lee Hoekje | 492 comments Wonder how to put a photo here.

I finished the Jo Nesbo, fabulous as always although this one was more difficult than some. And two more I ordered came in the mail today so I will be happy tomorrow.

I have no figured out how this goodreads system works, although they keep sending new ideas for books, most of which I have read.

I majored in English and Literature in collage and grad school, so read a lit of classics. I had one teacher who used to hand us mimeographed (see how old I am) sheets of 20 books or so on Fridays and say "See how many of these you can read by Monday".

Went grocery shopping today and visited a farm market. Ended with 4 pumpkins and about 6 squash and a large mum, so my front porch is all set for Halloween.

I read an article that said that children prefer different candy than adults, so o bought a lot of skittles, gummy worms, atomic bursts, and others which they are supposed to like best. These are good, and the advantage is that I won't eat them!

Lee

message 32: by Night Owl (new)

Night Owl | 858 comments I have not figured that out yet.

It sounds like you had a good day. I found snow apples here this year that I have not seen in years. They used to be grown on all the family farms around here that are disappearing. They are classified as a heritage apple here and hardly any of the orchards know about them or they recognize the name but don’t grow them. They all seem to carry the same apples you can buy in the supermarkets.

I remember teachers giving us mimeographed papers when I was in grade school. Sure brings back memories.

Have not bought candy yet for the little ones.

message 33: by Lee (new)

Lee Hoekje | 492 comments Where do you live, Night Owl?

I know what you mean about all the same things they sell in the super market. Farms around here pull up acres and acres of apples and other fruit to plant the latest thing.

Unfortunately the latest thing is always the one that ships the best. Even here where there are miles and miles of farm lands, it is hard to find a decent peach.

For 50 years I roamed around in farms which failed during the depression and found wonderful,old fruit trees. I sold home made preserves in my shop.

But now those lovely old farms have become condominiums, and I can't walk well any more anyway.

THE TEARS OF THE GIRAFFE arrived yesterday so I have made coffee and will sit down with it.

Lee

message 34: by Cluny (new)

Cluny | 201 comments Mod
I haven't figured out much of goodreads either. I don't find it to be user friendly...but it's all we have unless you use Facebook book....which I don't.
Re: photo
You have to go into edit profile in order to place photo... that's all the help that I can offer. I just did it by trial and error.
I have not been reading much as I have been having difficulties with shingles affected eye... pain, due to nerve damage

message 35: by Lee (new)

Lee Hoekje | 492 comments I have several friends who have had shingles and they all suffer long and hard with it. I feel lucky that I never had chicken pox so feel I am pretty safe.

What if you put a patch on the affected eye...or even try to read with it closed.

If I could not read it would be hard, although I have read little scince the cancer diagnosis a year ago.

Is there some reason you do not want facebook? You don't have to have tons of friends on it.

My kids set me up on it yeárs ago and as you know I am totally computer illiterate, but i have found the other two groups and chat on them. I think a lot if people have not. I can't imagine why Amazon kicked us out.

Lee

message 36: by Francie (new)

Francie | 3 comments So glad I found this on good reads. I've got it bookmarked now. Usually am a lurker and sometimes post. Thanks for getting this one started Cluny.

message 37: by Francie (new)

Francie | 3 comments Lee wrote: "Wonder how to put a photo here.

I finished the Jo Nesbo, fabulous as always although this one was more difficult than some. And two more I ordered came in the mail today so I will be happy tomorr..."

I have used a mimeograph machine too. Made lots of mimeographed pages too!!! Guess you and I are of the same vintage!!

message 38: by Lee (new)

Lee Hoekje | 492 comments I may be older than you are.....do you remember hectograph? I used to make them . Lee

message 39: by Night Owl (new)

Night Owl | 858 comments Hi lee

I grew up in southern Ontario. Those farms have all been built on now. No more fruit trees. This year all the fruit I have bought has been terrible. No flavour except for the apples I found.

message 40: by Night Owl (new)

Night Owl | 858 comments I don’t remember hectograph.

message 41: by Lee (new)

Lee Hoekje | 492 comments My aunt started teaching in 1905, and at that time it was possibly the only way of duplication except perhaps carbon paper. She taught me how to do it.

You made a hectograph out of gelatin poured into a shallow pan, like a small cookie sheet. Then you wrote or drew on paper with a special pen and put it face down on the firm gelatin. The design was printed in the gel, backwards.

You then put paper on top of this and smoothed it out, and the definition was printed on the paper. It was cheap and easy, and every teacher knew how to do it. The pens always seemed to be purplish pink.

By the 1940 s most of my teachers had mimeographs, but these were common before that.

I looked in Google, and you can buy a Hectograph kit!

We still get some good apples. My favorite is called Ginger Gold. I suspect it was hybred from Golden Delicious.

Around here they are all pulling out trees to grow wine grapes. I read that in Napa Valley they are pulling out grapes to grow marijuana.

Lee

message 42: by Night Owl (new)

Night Owl | 858 comments Lee wrote: "My aunt started teaching in 1905, and at that time it was possibly the only way of duplication except perhaps carbon paper. She taught me how to do it.

You made a hectogram out of gelatin poured ..."

That is interesting. Never heard of it. Before my time. Only remember mimeograph. Used carbon in typewriters. What a pain for correction until correction fluid became popular.

They are pulling out the heritage trees to plant the same apples you can buy in the store. All the apples seem to taste the same. I remember russet apples. They were gold with brown raised spots of them. Here they are pulling out the vineyards on the Niagara Peninsula to build houses. All that good earth buried under concrete.

message 43: by Lee (new)

Lee Hoekje | 492 comments I used to send out lists. Every time someone would buy something I would type a new one with 10 flimsies. Remember them?

In around 1985 or so my husband got a word processor. I could make and print my lists one at a time and personalize them for each customer.

How wonderful!

Lee

message 44: by Night Owl (new)

Night Owl | 858 comments Lee wrote: "I used to send out lists. Every time someone would buy something I would type a new one with 10 flimsies. Remember them?

In around 1985 or so my husband got a word processor. I could make and prin..."

I think we called it carbon paper. We put it between 2 sheets of paper and typed on the first one and it would copy through to the next. Is that the same thing? You could sandwich sheets together and then start typing to get more copies at the same time.

message 45: by Night Owl (new)

Night Owl | 858 comments The first computer we bought was a TI99 for our sons. They thought it was the coolest thing. Later they got a Commodore 128. Do you remember them?

message 46: by Lee (new)

Lee Hoekje | 492 comments Wrote yesterday and then lost it. Grrr. Our first computer was a Tandy, from Radio Shack. It was really a very early word processor. Beyond that I know nothin. My husband loved computers and read all about them and I just pushed the button he said too.

Since he died I have become more and more incapable of doing much on them. I regularly goof up the ipad.

Carbon paper was a black paper you put between pages. As a child I used its to copy pictures out of books.

Flimsies were thin tissue like paper attached to a single piece of carbon paper. You could type or write on the original and make ten thin copies. Messy, but worked.

Yesterday I read a book by a woman named Burford, SNOWED. a light fast reading romance. I don't normally read romances but this showed up free.

And I needed something light after reading RAGE, a very very dark Polish crime novel. This was my first Polish noir and it took a little while to become accustomed to the cadence, but it was an excellent book. It was darker than Nesbo if that is possible.

Lee

message 47: by Lee (new)

Lee Hoekje | 492 comments Night Owl......what is a DBT?

message 48: by Night Owl (new)

Night Owl | 858 comments Lee wrote: "Night Owl......what is a DBT?"

Dead Tree Book books that are printed on paper. Haven't bought any since I discovered free books on the internet.

I remember the Tandy. Never owned one though.

message 49: by Lee (new)

Lee Hoekje | 492 comments Funny...dead tree book...never heard that before. I have about a thousand of them at my house, but none are NEW so I don't feel responsible for killing trees.. I have been buying books at garage sales for about 50 years...

Around here nothing grows as fast as trees, so I don't feel terribly guilty. If you don't mow down baby trees the first time you see them the next time you see them you will need a saw. I imagine it is our sandy soil.

When I worked in malls doing antique shows for over 20 years I bought a lot of books. Needed to read or I would have gone mad.

But since I have been on social security I stick to Amazon and occasionally eBay.

Leaves are falling. It looks as if it is snowing, but it is leaves. Late this year.

Lee

message 50: by Lee (last edited Oct 22, 2017 10:54AM) (new)

Lee Hoekje | 492 comments Cluny wrote: "I haven't figured out much of goodreads either. I don't find it to be user friendly...but it's all we have unless you use Facebook book....which I don't.
You have to go into edit profile ..."

Cluny wrote: "I haven't figured out much of goodreads either. I don't find it to be user friendly...but it's all we have unless you use Facebook book....which I don't.
You have to go into edit profile...

Cluny, is there a way to comment on here that is not a direct answer to a person you are talking to? A Generic answer so to speak?

Are more of us finding us here?

Is there anything more the doctors can do about your shingles? Others I know with it indicate a lasts a long time.

I am feeling fairly well, but the long period of operations, hospital and chemo drained me to the point that I am very weak. Seldom even go out.

People keep telling me to get out more, but hard too. Walking only 50 feet wears me out. And what do I do when I do go out?

Am trying hard to not read anything on line that starts with tru.... Otherwise I get really upset.

Did I tell you I have a new kitten? She and Annie are still fighting, but she is a soft squishy joy.

Lee

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 50 51