Blasphemy: New and Selected Stories
This topic is about Blasphemy
The Toughest Indian in the World > Salmon, stars and hitchhikers

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Joyce (joyceann17) | 47 comments Mod
The story begins and ends with images about salmon and stars:
"All of us, Indian and white, are haunted by salmon."
"When I was a boy, I .... watched the ghosts of the salmon rise from the water to the sky and become constellations.
"For most Indians, stars are nothing more than white tombstones scattered across a dark graveyard."

Reconciling these images with the story of the hitchhiker challenged me, a reader, to see my warrior self, my transience on this earth and the interconnectedness of everything and everyone.

Teresa (tvadakin) | 8 comments Mod
From what I gather in this story, salmon represented hope. I was left confused at the end. The situation with the hitchhiker and narrator and the way it ended. What are other's thoughts on this?

Joyce (joyceann17) | 47 comments Mod
Teresa wrote: "From what I gather in this story, salmon represented hope. I was left confused at the end. The situation with the hitchhiker and narrator and the way it ended. What are other's thoughts on this?"

Maybe the fact that he let the hitchhiker into his bed and, beyond that into his spirit, let him become the “toughest Indian in the World” for a moment? But he did not want to go another round. Was it rape or something else?