Support for Indie Authors discussion

Marketing Tactics > Percentage split of writing versus promotion?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J.G. (new)

J.G. Follansbee (joe_follansbee) | 26 comments I'm in the midst of publishing a series of dystopian thriller novels and stories. I love storytelling and understand the necessity of marketing. Can you estimate how much time you spend creating great stories versus promoting your work? I've heard some indie writers spend as much as 80 percent of their time promoting, which seems excessive to me. Your thoughts?

message 2: by Martin (new)

Martin Wilsey | 447 comments I spend 95% writing. 5% marketing.

message 3: by Martin (new)

Martin Wilsey | 447 comments Your best marketing tool is your next book...

message 4: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 770 comments I'miss in the 95/5 group because I hate marketing. Personally I think 65/35 is a good ratio but everyone needs to find what works for them

message 5: by Gisela (new)

Gisela Hausmann | 47 comments J.G. wrote: "I'm in the midst of publishing a series of dystopian thriller novels and stories. I love storytelling and understand the necessity of marketing. Can you estimate how much time you spend creating gr..."

J.G.
It all depends on if this is your first book, or your fifth.
Martin is right that your best marketing tool is your next book, but obviously, you want to build a fan base before you launch that second book.

If you invest time in building your fan base before you launch your first, you can speed up things.

message 6: by Marie Silk (new)

Marie Silk | 606 comments I'm one of those who spends prob 80% of my author time promoting or doing something related to promoting. If you are currently in the middle of writing a series, you might consider saving the bulk of your promotion time/money for when the series is finished or at least has a few books available for purchase.

message 7: by C.J. (new)

C.J. Rutherford | 1 comments I write 50% and market 50%. Thing is, I also help other authors promote their books, so of that 50%, maybe 20% is for mine.

message 8: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Beverly (writesistah) | 50 comments I don't know what the percentage is but once I completed writing and publishing my second novel, I feel like I've spent at least 40 or 50 percent on the marketing of it so far.