Star Wars Book Club discussion

Leia: Princess of Alderaan (Journey to Star Wars: The Last Jedi, #3)
This topic is about Leia
Books > Leia

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lizzie Twachtman (lizzietwachtman) | 171 comments Mod
Hey Book Clubbers,
what did you think of Claudia Gray's Leia, Princess of Alderaan?
I LOVED IT! So much!!! Claudia Gray is hitting it out of the park for me!!
I wrote a little review that you can read, but what struck me the most while reading Leia was being so aware of Alderaan's eventual fate! I love getting an alternate perspective on events. Like somehow this book made me think differently about A New Hope. Seeing some of the early struggles Leia went through on her journey to becoming the Leia we know and love!
I would love to read more novels like this. Explaining the early lives of the characters we care so much about!!!

Next up is Return of the Jedi and From a Certain Point of View for October.
Let me know your thoughts!! I love to hear them!
-Lizzie

Khurram (theirongeek) | 21 comments I just started but so far I have to say, Claudia Grey has seemed to nail Leia's character 100%.

Peter Hammond | 5 comments Ahh! It's so good. The spirit of Leia was captured so perfectly. This novel has a lot of heart. And it accomplishes what I think to be the highest of achievements for Star Wars novels- it adds a fresh perspective and adds context when watching the films. Claudia Gray is crushing it!

I could not agree more, Peter and Khurram!! Claudia's voice for Leia is strong and spot on!!! Would love more from her!!!

Justin (jtefft) I really enjoyed it. The audiobook version from Audible added a degree of emotion to the book that I wasn’t expecting. I found myself getting choked up a couple of times.

Claudia Gray has hit it out of the park with Leia and with Lost Stars before that. She kind of owns this YA Star Wars Novel thing.

I loved the book but enjoyed the audiobook even more. The audio version is amongst my all time favorites.

To Liz’s point, knowing what was coming added so much to the reading experience. I found myself thinking a lot about Rogue One and the role Leia played there and how reluctant her father was to let her get involved in this book and then the degree to which she was involved by the RO movie. It made the book seem to take on a greater degree of urgency.

Very well done.

Justin wrote: "I really enjoyed it. The audiobook version from Audible added a degree of emotion to the book that I wasn’t expecting. I found myself getting choked up a couple of times.

Claudia Gray has hit it ..."

Yes, Justin!! you are so right! Claudia is definitely coming through as the YA go to! And I could not be happier about that. Lost Stars and Leia are definitely in my top faves in the new canon.

Such an emotional book and love that suggestion to listen to the audio book!!! Thanks for weighing in! Glad to have you here!!!

N.E.C.C. | 59 comments What ever it takes Star Wars, what ever it takes to keep Claudia Gray writing book for you.
I liked this book a lot, very emotional with great characters and an incredible story.
Essential reading if you ask me,

N.E.C.C. wrote: "What ever it takes Star Wars, what ever it takes to keep Claudia Gray writing book for you.
I liked this book a lot, very emotional with great characters and an incredible story.
Essential reading ..."

I completely agree!! Very essential to who Leia is and who she becomes. Plus filling in those Alderaanian gaps in the perfect ways!! So glad you enjoyed it too!!

Chad | 12 comments Claudia is batting 3 for 3 with three homeruns right now. Leia, Princess of Alderaan is such a page turner and adds so much more to a already complex character!

Chad wrote: "Claudia is batting 3 for 3 with three homeruns right now. Leia, Princess of Alderaan is such a page turner and adds so much more to a already complex character!"
YES!! I haven't read Bloodline yet, but I'm really excited to!! Love her writing! She is the Timothy Zahn of the new canon (though now that Zahn is also in the new canon, there are 2 Zahns!!)

message 11: by Chad (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chad | 12 comments Liz wrote: "Chad wrote: "Claudia is batting 3 for 3 with three homeruns right now. Leia, Princess of Alderaan is such a page turner and adds so much more to a already complex character!"
YES!! ..."

Haha yessss! and Please read Bloodline, you'll notice just how brilliantly Claudia ties that book into Leia, Princess of Alderaan

Chad wrote: "Liz wrote: "Chad wrote: "Claudia is batting 3 for 3 with three homeruns right now. Leia, Princess of Alderaan is such a page turner and adds so much more to a already complex charac..."
Ahhhhhh, so many books to read!! I really want to read them all before The Last Jedi, especially the ones that relevant! but there's not enough time!!!

message 13: by Chad (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chad | 12 comments Liz wrote: "Chad wrote: "Liz wrote: "Chad wrote: "Claudia is batting 3 for 3 with three homeruns right now. Leia, Princess of Alderaan is such a page turner and adds so much more to a already c..."

I think you'll do good to read Bloodline because Rian Johnson worked directly with Claudia Gray to help set some things for the upcoming movies.

Justin (jtefft) Plus it’s just a darn good book

message 15: by Chad (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chad | 12 comments Justin wrote: "Plus it’s just a darn good book"

What he said ^^^^^

Leensey | 2 comments I know I'm extra late to the party, but I just finished this novel, and it just further cements my love for Leia. Even the other characters were brilliant, and the story came together the way a great Star Wars story does: the rising of hope amidst the tragedy and struggles to fight for a better future.

Leensey! The good news is you're never too late to the party!!!! ;) this is such a great book!!! I'm glad you enjoyed it! We stan a strong, bad ass woman!!!!

Tarria (sagittariadarkness) | 6 comments Ooh there's a discussion for this book! I know I'm also really late but I wondered; those of you who've also read this, *SPOILER*

What did you think about Leia having a love interest who's never mentioned again? Like, Kier gives his life for her, that's pretty big. Also didn't Carrie Fisher once say that she played Leia as a naïve, reserved virgin who never had time for love before she met Han?

Leensey | 2 comments Haha very true, thank you Lizzie!

As for your inquiry Tarria, I'm not familiar with that interview of Carrie. I suppose it would depend entirely on when that interview was VS when this particular book came out (2017). There are quite some changes and whatnot of the film verse VS EU/legends & [Disney] canon stuff. I appreciate the interpretations either way, and I think Carrie mentioning that for her portrayal of Leia doesn't necessarily imply she(Leia) didn't have a love interest. The book heavily showed Leia as someone driven by her duty towards others over herself, even while she was with Kier.