CanadianContent discussion

Archives 2017 > Governor General Award

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ❀ Susan (new)

❀ Susan G (susanayearofbooksblogcom) | 3663 comments Mod
Here is the list for the GG award. Congrats @Michael for your nomination for The Water Beetles!!! http://www.cbc.ca/books/kathleen-wint...

message 2: by Megan (new)

Megan  | 488 comments There are so many books that I want read that are nominated! Congrats to everyone!!

message 3: by Alan (new)

Alan | 567 comments Susan have you read The Water Beetles? I never heard about it.
I only read one of the plays nominated..The Incubator?-it is excellent.

message 4: by Allison (new)

Allison | 1908 comments Heehee... can't help notice that Carol Off is on the list. She is the theme of my fall in every way! :)

message 5: by Allison (new)

Allison | 1908 comments Okay, at the risk of someone throwing their shoe at me...

As far as I can tell, Carol Off is the only person with overlap in the nominations of all the short lists. She's on the lists for Hilary Weston and GG prize for non-fiction.

Unless I've missed it (and maybe I have) there is no other overlap. I feel like this is unusual, isn't it? But I also feel it's a great thing because it highlights MORE Canadian books this way.

message 6: by Alan (new)

Alan | 567 comments You’re correct Allison,Brother was long listed for the Giller and then dropped but it is on the Hilary Weston. Same with the Kathleen Winter and ..title I can’t remember..well all die in our beds. I believe no work of fiction is repeated on all three final lists and so there is a great deal of variety this year.

message 7: by Barbara (new)

Barbara McEwen (babsbookobsession) | 226 comments Yes, the variety is a thrill. Something for everyone.

message 8: by ❀ Susan (new)

LOL - Alison, you really do have a book crush!! I need to get at Off's book and The Water Beetles (which Alan, i have been meaning to read after meeting Michael, who is a CdnContent member, in Burlington).

@Barbara - great to have variety but it sure does add to the TBR titles!!

message 9: by Alan (new)

Alan | 567 comments Wow that is something we have a group member who is nominated. Maybe down the road we can do a group read on his book and ask him to participate in the discussion. I have no idea what his book is about but I put a hold on it at the library.

message 10: by Allison (last edited Oct 05, 2017 06:00AM) (new)

Allison | 1908 comments Alan wrote: "Wow that is something we have a group member who is nominated. Maybe down the road we can do a group read on his book and ask him to participate in the discussion. I have no idea what his book is a..."

That is a great idea, @Alan! Let's do a group read of The Water Beetles, since we DO have its author as a member! Why didn't we think of this earlier!?

Maybe we could structure it as a buddy read! Anyone wanna? I'll set up a thread there to see if there's interest, and if Michael Kaan would be interested in being involved.

message 11: by Mary (new)

Mary | 316 comments Alan wrote: "Susan have you read The Water Beetles? I never heard about it.
I only read one of the plays nominated..The Incubator?-it is excellent."

I read The Water Beetles for part of my across Canada reads and although it is about a hard topic it is still an uplifting book.

message 12: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 261 comments I like the idea of a group read, too. And @Mary Anne I am sold on your description of The Water Beetles as "uplifting." My book club this year decided to look for uplifting books rather than ones that make you feel sad and discouraged for days afterward.

message 13: by Alan (new)

Alan | 567 comments I have two of the children's illustrated books nominated for the
GGs out right now. I hope to get to them today or tomorrow. I also
have my second of the nominated plays to read.

message 15: by Megan (new)

Megan  | 488 comments Update: I know nothing about GG trivia. ha!

message 16: by Alan (last edited Oct 27, 2017 01:53PM) (new)

Alan | 567 comments I got six out of ten...that's about as well as I ever did in high school.
To go through life always being academically average.

message 17: by ❀ Susan (new)

LOL - I did a lot of guessing too.

message 18: by Mj (new)

Mj I've never followed the GG's as much as Scotiabank Giller or Canada Reads....though have followed a bit. I managed to barely pass with a lot of good luck. It was fun. Thanks Susan.

message 19: by Allison (new)

Allison | 1908 comments I forgot it was today! Here's the GG winning list: http://www.cbc.ca/books/ggbooks/here-...

message 20: by Mj (last edited Nov 01, 2017 10:05AM) (new)

Mj Thanks for posting Allison. Much appreciated.

I'm not surprised that We'll All Be Burnt in Our Beds Some Night by Joel Thomas Hynes won. Great writing but very grim and an inordinate amount of violence, swearing and sex. For whatever reason I get the sense that the GG's tend to choose books that really push boundaries and seem to select books and potential book winners that are different from other Canadian awards. Am wondering if they'll be the same flack as when they chose When Everything Feels Like the Movies by Raziel Reid for Children's Literature (although the GG's have split categories and changed names a bit since that broohaha.)

Am pleased to see Cherie Dimaline win with The Marrow Thieves. I've got it on hold but copies are still on order. Don't usually read YA or sci-fi dystopia but thought it looked interesting and have read good things about this Metis author. Read a good article about her writing process. Will have to try to re-find and post it.

Thanks again for the heads-up Allison.

message 21: by Megan (new)

Megan  | 488 comments I'm also really happy that When We Were Alone won.

message 22: by Alan (new)

Alan | 567 comments Happy with the fiction winner,totally agree with MJ in her description of the book but I did love it,I thought the narrative skill was incredible. Unfortunately unlike the giller,there is never any bump from the ggs,maybe this will increase sales and awareness for a previously unknown writer,but hardly doubt it will turn into a best seller.