Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Cover Help > Eye of the Spud: Hitching and freedom etc in Australia

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Abraham (new)

Abraham Lewik | 3 comments Please add the cover. It is here on Wordpress. I personally took the photo and lack the proper resources to scan and photo-edit the image so I hope you accept this photo. I would have done it myself when making the book webpage but was too lethargic to get the photo, sorry.

https://houseofpawns.wordpress.com/20...

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Please link the exact book you are talking about. And the ISBN. We need to make sure we are adding the cover to the correct edition.

message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 06, 2017 04:51PM) (new)

done. ty. I deleted the description. It looked like personal notes. We will be happy to add a real description if you can find one or make one using these guidelines https://www.goodreads.com/help/show/404

message 5: by Abraham (new)

Abraham Lewik | 3 comments Thank you. The back cover of the book is blank. My (new) description would be;

Focused on hitching primarily, with personal anecdotes of hitching ups & downs, experiences with Nature, brief forays into politics and 1980's environmentalism (CFC's, leaded petrol &c.). Without rising above his capacity as individual, the author communicates his anarchy, based on the insight that any institute is people first & a professional code personally expressed. Anyone interested in experiencing the Australian swagman lifestyle should give this book a read.

Alternatively, the final page of the book is as follows;
Several years go I was walking out of a small town in Western Australia. It was late afternoon, the air was dry and cold and burned my nostrils, and a few settling birds were squawking in the scrub. I had been walking up a gentle hill for a couple of miles, the sun had barely set behind me and the sky was a strange cloudless fusion of violet and pink. Suddenly the road plunged and curved and, almost without perceiving it, I found myself confronted with a forest of dark shadows, trees more black than green, and absolute quiet. A huge, orange gibbous moon was rising in a cleft between two hills, and everything seemed wet, still, dark. In a matter of what seemed like seconds I had been transferred from a dry, bright, noisy world to this dark, moist, silent one. Nature had blessed me with the rarest of circumstances and not only had I been the only human being alive to witness this perfect transition, but I felt a part of it for my isolation. Even writing of it now is an exciting experience.

See you on the road.

There is an accompanying sketch on the next page.

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 4556 comments Abraham wrote: "Thank you. The back cover of the book is blank. My (new) description would be;

Focused on hitching primarily, with personal anecdotes of hitching ups & downs, experiences with Nature, brief forays..."

Hi Abraham

I used your second alternative, as the first sounded a bit too much like a review.

Thanks for reporting. ;)