UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

General Chat - anything Goes > Amazon Discussion Fora

Comments Showing 1-50 of 65 (65 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 11721 comments I hear these are to be closed on 6 October. Or so it says on the US site.

Any comments?

Rosemary (grooving with the Picts) (nosemanny) | 9086 comments Don't care. Haven't looked at them in years, since the nice folk moved here

message 3: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25063 comments Same here. If I wanted unpleasant vitriol I'd watch the soaps.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Good riddance. They haven't added any real value to the site in years.

message 5: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21940 comments I actually went on and put a promo for a book just for old times sake, not because I felt it was likely to achieve anything. :-)

message 6: by Michawl (new)

Michawl Dolbear | 1 comments Will wrote: "I hear these are to be closed on 6 October. Or so it says on the US site.

Any comments?"

(UK) This Amazon forum is retiring October 13, 2017

Freebies will have to be posted elsewhere.

message 7: by Patsy (new)

Patsy Collins | 180 comments I didn't use them – it seems as though I haven't missed out.

message 8: by David (new)

David Edwards | 445 comments When I first published I investigated them, I felt they should have been useful, but I couldn't find anything useful.

message 9: by M.T. (last edited Oct 05, 2017 05:33AM) (new)

M.T. McGuire (mtmcguire) | 7684 comments Will wrote: "I hear these are to be closed on 6 October. Or so it says on the US site.

Any comments?"

I find myself wondering what the woman who named herself after a Tolstoy character will do with her time now that she can no longer spend it killing every single thread in the dot com book forum stone dead!

message 10: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21940 comments M.T. wrote: "I find myself wondering what the woman who named herself after a Tolstoy character will do with her time now that she can no longer spend it killing every single thread in the dot com book forum stone dead! ..."

there are doubtless other fora :-(

eastwood  (do you feel lucky punk,well do ya) | 15991 comments always remember the Stephen leather bust up that went on for months and I still don't know what started it.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments He did.

eastwood  (do you feel lucky punk,well do ya) | 15991 comments yeah but what about ?

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Didn't someone give him a poor review and he attacked them in the forum? I think?

eastwood  (do you feel lucky punk,well do ya) | 15991 comments now yes that rings a bell, that must have been some time ago now patti.

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments SL was an expert at finding people's sensitive spots then picking away at them. Then when they finally blew up he played all innocent. I

message 17: by M.T. (new)

M.T. McGuire (mtmcguire) | 7684 comments Yeh, he was a bit of a plank.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments There's understatement.

message 19: by M.T. (last edited Oct 06, 2017 08:51AM) (new)

M.T. McGuire (mtmcguire) | 7684 comments Patti (baconater) wrote: "There's understatement."

Mwahahahaaargh yeh. But he couldn't hold a candle to AK on dot com. She was the full on scariest dude I've ever encountered and I've met some pretty frightening people.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Glad I've never frequented that place. I don't need that sort of shite in my life.

message 21: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21940 comments Patti (baconater) wrote: "Glad I've never frequented that place. I don't need that sort of shite in my life."

I avoided the place for exactly the same reason
I did usenet, I don't have to go back to those places

message 22: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 7939 comments I ventured there in my early days of publishing, wandering, lost and frightened, until Kath rescued me and sent me to this warm and welcoming place :~)

Never went back!

message 23: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25063 comments I fished you out of the swamp and even provided a towel!

message 24: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 7939 comments Kath wrote: "I fished you out of the swamp and even provided a towel!"

Indeed

Rosemary (grooving with the Picts) (nosemanny) | 9086 comments Always know where your towel is.

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Was this on Squornshellous Zeta? And was the swamp full of mattresses?

message 27: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25063 comments The Dentrassi? Mattress-based life form.

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Thats the one! They were flolloping.

message 29: by Jack (new)

Jack Lexington | 79 comments The Stephen Leather thing was about two authors calling him out on fake reviews because Stephen would pretend to be other posters and give himself glowing reviews. He didn't appreciate getting told that was not the moral thing to do and set up a 3-4 year smear campaign against the two authors creating fake websites (allegedly for legality sake) spreading rumours and lies about them. which in turn must have hugely affected their earnings at the time. again for legality sake IF true then it is absolutely atrocious on his part from beginning to end.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Yeah, think I remember the fake reviews thing too, now.
I know some people followed it like watching a car crash.

Of course, fake reviews never occur now...

message 31: by Jack (new)

Jack Lexington | 79 comments Haha, that last sentence sounds a little tongue in cheek to me.

message 32: by Louise (new)

Wise Louise (louisewise) | 27 comments I wrote about how much I loved Dean Koontz and was told I was self-promoting *my* books. :/

That was the final nail, never bothered after that. So I won't miss them.

message 33: by Jack (new)

Jack Lexington | 79 comments I don't see the connection there Louise. How is being a fan of Dean Koontz ((which I also am) and stating as much promoting your own work? If anything it is promoting a rival author over yourself. Whoever accused you of that is a blithering idiot. (If this was Twitter there would probably be a few expletives in there :) )

message 34: by Lee (new)

Lee Sherred (leesherredauthor) | 20 comments Jack wrote: "The Stephen Leather thing was about two authors calling him out on fake reviews because Stephen would pretend to be other posters and give himself glowing reviews. He didn't appreciate getting told..."

Gutted, I've very recently been compared to Stephen Leather in a review, which I took as a massive compliment...I hope that that was to do with my writing style and not being suspected of fake reviews!! I was not aware of the review thing until now. :0o

message 35: by Jack (new)

Jack Lexington | 79 comments Lee wrote: "Jack wrote: "The Stephen Leather thing was about two authors calling him out on fake reviews because Stephen would pretend to be other posters and give himself glowing reviews. He didn't appreciate..."

Haha, I am sure it is to do with writing style, Lee, which is a great compliment, yeah the fake reviews were not even the worst of it all the websites he set up slating two other authors were much worse. he set numerous ones up (allegedly) slating Steve Mosby and Jeremy Duns. One of them discovered it was Steven Leather when he went to one of these websites and Leather had accidentally left a link back to his own website on there

Your book sounds very interesting by the way and I have added it to my list, I will read yours once I finish 'Talking To The Dead'. Where you ever in Kosovo?

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Jack wrote: "I don't see the connection there Louise. How is being a fan of Dean Koontz ((which I also am) and stating as much promoting your own work? If anything it is promoting a rival author over yourself. ..."

Oh, there was no dearth of blithering idiots in there.

Plenty of lovely people as well, I'm sure. Unfortunately overshadowed by the dregs.

message 37: by Jack (new)

Jack Lexington | 79 comments Patti (baconater) wrote: "Oh, there was no dearth of blithering idiots in there. Plenty of lovely people as well, I'm sure. Unfortunately overshadowed by the dregs. "

To be fair I only came across them when I was studying media and even then it was just a glancing look and a little research. It seems many of you have battle scars from there. :)

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments I always avoided the .com forum. The U.K. one was nice in bits but migrating to our group here was the best thing to do.

The highest concentration of lovely is here.

message 39: by Lee (new)

Lee Sherred (leesherredauthor) | 20 comments Jack wrote: "Lee wrote: "Jack wrote: "The Stephen Leather thing was about two authors calling him out on fake reviews because Stephen would pretend to be other posters and give himself glowing reviews. He didn'..."

Hi Jack, it amazes me the levels that some people will go to. I was only reading an article recently about a similar thing. I can't remember the author's name now though.

Re Kosovo, yes. I was in the Army in the 90's so spent quite a lot of time in various Balkan states.

message 40: by Jack (new)

Jack Lexington | 79 comments Just went to check them out now and even on their latest post about the forum closure, it is people moaning that Amazon uses its own timezone rather than BST or GMT. I mean how dare they people would think they were an American company or something and therefore based in Amer......wait a minute.

message 41: by Jack (new)

Jack Lexington | 79 comments I know Lee I suppose they do say it is a dog-eat-dog world though and the ruthless have the best chance of survival. But some of the things that happen out there are frankly shameful, I couldn't do something like that to someone then go home and look my daughter in the eye (Not so much the fake reviews I am sure many do that as they feel it is the only chance they have) but just basically trying to destroy someone to get ahead I couldn't do that.

Wow, that must have been quite an experience. I read your bio saying you were in the army and then I believe the police force? That is quite a life you have lived and you must have experienced a lot over those two careers.

message 42: by Lee (new)

Lee Sherred (leesherredauthor) | 20 comments Jack wrote: "I know Lee I suppose they do say it is a dog-eat-dog world though and the ruthless have the best chance of survival. But some of the things that happen out there are frankly shameful, I couldn't do..."

Ha ha, yeh...to say I don't have a few wrinkles now might be a lie!

message 43: by Jack (new)

Jack Lexington | 79 comments Well I suppose a thank you for your service is in order (for both jobs) You probably didn't see but I did salute you. I even had my palm out and open hand so you can see I carry nothing that may be a danger to you :)

message 44: by Lee (new)

Lee Sherred (leesherredauthor) | 20 comments Ha ha, thanks.

message 45: by Rosen (last edited Oct 12, 2017 07:27AM) (new)

Rosen Trevithick (rosentrevithick) | 2273 comments I'm glad it's closing. I found it unfriendly. If it hadn't been for a kind UKAKF member rescuing me from the sea of nastiness, I may never have used forums to discuss writing again.

eastwood  (do you feel lucky punk,well do ya) | 15991 comments well I did venture back once or twice to see if anything was going, nope same old drivel.

message 47: by Jack (new)

Jack Lexington | 79 comments I am glad my experience with it was very limited. I have only had good experiences with this group as everyone seems friendly.

message 48: by Rosen (new)

Rosen Trevithick (rosentrevithick) | 2273 comments People on there used to complain about the way in which you used 'their' forum.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments I do hope the lovely people join us and make our's their's.

message 50: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25063 comments Did you open the box of free apostrophes? ;)

« previous 1