Crime Detective Mystery Thriller Group discussion

What is your favorite book store and why? (Sorry if asked before)....

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eric (new)

Eric | 58 comments Mod
Hope this isn't a repetitive question, but I think it is worth re-asking...

What is your favorite bookstore and why?

Back around 1990-1993 we lived in Fayetteville, NC and there were many used book stores with very cheaply priced books (like 25 or 50 cents for popular novels). When we came back to Illinois, books in used book stores were often several dollars.

Then, during the mid to late 1990's, there was a bookstore in downtown Duluth, Minnesota we would visit when in town. This store was in an old building with creaky, swaying wood floors and books crammed in any available spot. Many of the bookshelves were curved downward from the weight of the books or crooked. The store also carried old magazines (I bought all kinds of back issues of a humor magazine called The Nose - sort of similar to the satirical Spy magazine from the 1980's). I can't recall the name of the store, nor do I know if it is even open anymore.

message 2: by Paula (new)

Paula Adams (goodreadscompadams57) | 94 comments I can't remember the last time I've been in a book store. The last time or I should say the only time I was in Sarasota I noticed this book store near where we went to have lunch. I can't remember the name but it was quite different. There is also one in Punta Gorda the next town over that I want to check out. I will have to go without my husband. He is not a reader and I would feel rushed if he was with me.

message 3: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissal88) | 10 comments Murder By the Book in Houston, TX. It's a fantastic store with a wide variety of books. They get many authors in for book signing/talks, which is a lot of fun. And the staff is the absolute best! They understand the likes/dislikes of their regular customers and are quick to recommend new reads.

message 4: by MaryJo (new)

MaryJo Dawson | 120 comments It would be sad not to recommend the bookstore I volunteer in every week! It is Books and More, in Trinidad, Colorado. We are a non-profit bookstore, an arm of the Andrew Carnegie Library here in town. The library sends books they take off of their shelves over to us, and the rest of the books we sell come from private donations.
We have a huge selection in endless categories, from the very old and out of print, to current best sellers.
I'm always excited to find a gem for my own reading enjoyment.

message 5: by Eliza (new)

Eliza Ross (kelizabennett) | 5 comments All the Half Price Bookstores in Austin, Texas. Each location has a different feel and personality, but they are all treasure troves of affordable books.

message 6: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissal88) | 10 comments K. wrote: "All the Half Price Bookstores in Austin, Texas. Each location has a different feel and personality, but they are all treasure troves of affordable books."

Yes I agree! My husband and I love going to the different stores when we!re in Austin(which is every few months). Have you been to th big clearance sale they have every year in Dallas? Nothing over $3!

message 7: by Craig (new)

Craig Monson | 36 comments Goodwill shelves of used books. Also Salvation Army. You never know what you'll find and are required to browse outside your "comfort zone." And for around $1 apiece, you can fill a bag full, take them home, but not feel obliged to finish the unfinishable. (You can also update your wardrobe while you're there.)

message 8: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) I agree, Craig. There's also odd stuff on the miscellaneous shelves that's fun to look at.

message 9: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 42 comments My favorite bookstore is probably Powell's in Portland, OR. Second place is a tie between the Strand in NYC and Books on the Square here in Providence, RI. However, I will wander into a bookstore, especially an independent bookstore, in any city anyplace in the world. (Singer House in St. Petersburg, Russia comes to mind!!)

message 10: by Brandon (last edited Nov 23, 2017 08:41PM) (new)

Brandon Montgomery (brandonmontgomery) Half Price in Dayton, Ohio is certainly the one I frequent the most. In fact, I like most Half Price stores, but this one was within walking distance from my university, meaning that it was both close and had lots of second hand books on obscure subjects that students had sold after completing (or dropping) their course on 8th Century Hungarian Pottery, or whatever.
That being said, my favorite bookstore overall is probably Schuler Books & Music in Grand Rapids, Michigan. They have a huge selection of new books, including a good deal of Beat lit and poetry, but the real kicker is the used selection. Used books occupy an entire wing of the store where they just fill boxes upon boxes lined up on the floor for a dollar or two apiece.
I've purchased a lot of great novels from them; Big Sur, God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater, Catch 22, Babylon Revisited - God knows what else.
God, now I want to go to Michigan (the only time you'll ever read that sentence.)

message 11: by joyce g (new)

joyce g | 42 comments Blue Umbrella Books in Westfield, MA!!

message 12: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) Without a doubt my favorite bookstore is my library. I love the instant gratification of downloadable kindle or audiobooks,

message 13: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 42 comments Kathy wrote: "My favorite bookstore is probably Powell's in Portland, OR. Second place is a tie between the Strand in NYC and Books on the Square here in Providence, RI. However, I will wander into a bookstore, ..."

Let me add that I did my part for "Small Business Saturday" by shopping at Books on the Square. :-)

message 14: by Zenny (new)

Zenny (zenlaserman) | 1 comments Amazon, hands down. Doesn't matter if it is for my beloved Kindle Fire or a 1-cent paperback with dollar shipping. Books delivered. I lost my huge paper library - still miss it - but I have grown to appreciate digital. Light grey text on black background and changing pages with gloves on when it's 35 degrees at work. I dare you to carry ~30,000 books. I always do!

message 15: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) I absolutely love, love my kindle paperwhite. Just wish it had the text to speech feature like the fire

message 16: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissal88) | 10 comments A bookstore that I visited recently in my travels is McKay's Bookstore on I-40 just west of Nashville. It is an eclectic store that is really fun (Paranormal Psychology fills an entire aisle!)

message 17: by Gary (new)

Gary Sundell | 23 comments Sadly one of the great mystery book stores, Aunt Agatha's in Ann Arbor, MI is closing at the end of the month. It is the home bookstore of Loren D. Estleman, among others. I wish I'd been there for the day they had Loren and Elmore Leonard and his son signing books.

message 18: by Sally (new)

Sally | 6 comments Prairie Lights in Iowa City. I could live in that bookstore and be very happy.

message 19: by Crystal (new)

Crystal Hiatt (saszy04) I have a deep love for old used bookstores. There's this amazing feeling you get from them that you just don't get from mainstream bookstores (like Barnes & Noble and Books-A-Million), like you've just found a new home. And it's so gratifying to come upon a old book you've been looking for but couldn't find anywhere else. (Another problem with mainstream bookstores). I guess I just have a tender nostalgia for an older book vs new ones. They have character and history.
I used to frequent Piedmont Books in Winston-Salem, NC (Still my favorite even if I don't live near it anymore). I have found another used bookstore to frequent in Columbia, SC called The Book Dispensary. I could spend all day in that store, and I love the owner. It's awesome being able to talk about your love of books with someone who loves them equally as much, and that's what you get at The Book Dispensary.
I also order books from thriftbooks.com quite frequently. I always choose the 'acceptable' books because they often come from a library or have more age and wear to them. (Again, I love old books).

message 20: by Charles (new)

Charles Harris (chasharris) | 5 comments West End Lane Books in West Hampstead, NW London (UK). A lovely, friendly bookshop (store) who are also amazingly supportive of authors, which can't be said for all bookshops, surprisingly. There is a place in heaven reserved for them.