Crazy for Young Adult Books discussion

This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
This topic is about This Savage Song
BUDDY READS: ARCHIVED > This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity #1), by Victoria Schwab → Start Date: October 8, 2017

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Diana and I would love it if you'd join us!

dianis. | 509 comments Thanks for making the thread! I'm really excited for this one!:D

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments No problem. I’m looking forward to this one as well!

Grace I just got this book in the mail today. Is it all right if I join the discussion?

dianis. | 509 comments It would be perfect, Grace!!:D
I may start a little bit earlier since I'm dying to read this one

Grace I'm going to start now, too, before going to sleep since I just finished A Torch Against the Night.

dianis. | 509 comments Perfect! I'll start it probably in the evening!
Hope we will all love it

dianis. | 509 comments Hey! Has anyone started it?

Grace Yes, I have. I read the Prelude and now I'm on page 3.

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments I had 2 of my grandsons, 11 and 7, since Friday and their mom just got back from her honeymoon tonight at 9:00 so I haven't had a chance to start yet and won't tonight. They wore Grandma out! LOL

Grace Didn't get much reading done today, it being a long weekend - Cdn Thanksgiving.

dianis. | 509 comments JAJAJA that sounds like a busy life!
Well Grace, I'm on page 3, too. I hope to read so much more today.
Also, that quote at the beginning? I liked it a lot. And the titles of the parts look great!

Grace I like that quote too. I should get more reading done today. Plan on going to a coffee shop or someplace cozy just to read.

Grace Hello! I didn't get as far as I'd hoped. I'm on pg 33. I'm taking down a lot of notes to try to remember character's names and who lives where, etc. This is my first time reading Schwab. I am not super intrigued at this point b/c there're a lot of details to digest, but I like the potential of the story - based off of the quote at the beginning of the book about the fine line between humanity and monstrosity.

dianis. | 509 comments Hi! I have actually read her A Darker Shade of Magic book, and although I liked it, I wasn't blown away by it. So I really hope this one will be different.
Yes! The quote is the one that intrigued me the most.
I haven't read a lot neither, but I really hope this will change today

dianis. | 509 comments So, I just finished the first chapter and I'm really intrigued by August and his brother and sister.

Grace My understanding so far is that August is a "monster" in the family. But Leo doesn't quite seem human either.

I've gotten to the part where August has seen Kate. I'm curious to see what their dynamic will be like. She seems like quite the rebel and a force to be reckoned with.

message 18: by dianis. (last edited Oct 10, 2017 08:59PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

dianis. | 509 comments Chapter 1 still (view spoiler)

Grace Hello! How are you faring so far? Are you liking the story? I ended up going back to the beginning to re-read some parts.

dianis. | 509 comments Hello! Well, I gotta admit it was pretty meh until something like the 50 or 60% and I got sucked in so hard!
I'm finally loving the characters.

What about you?

Grace I felt the same way. It was meh at first but my interest is growing. Im on page 173 in the paperback. You may be further along than I am. Im on Verse 2, chapter or book 7. I don't know how much to say or if i should use spoiler alerts?

dianis. | 509 comments Well tbh, I have already finished it. But I really want to discuss it, so you can say whatever you want haha
What do you think about Kate?

Grace Good for you! I need to get with it. I'll try to read some more before going to sleep tonight.

So far I do not like Kate. I don't understand why she's so bent on "being her father's daughter." Why must she be evil like him?

I'm more invested in August's character development. There's something about his inner turmoil that draws me to him. What I don't get is how charming he is when he's with Kate; he has a personality, but he is less interesting when he's in other scenarios.

Oh, and I like that the black cat was drawn to August.

It's getting more interesting b/c I'm at the part where Kate is trolling August/Freddie, trying to find out who he really is.

What are your thoughts on Kate and August?

dianis. | 509 comments Well, I kinda felt the same at that point, if I'm being honest. Also, I really don't like that when Kate is with August she turns almost friendly? Like, it can be a side effect of August's... power?
But I also really like August, the constant struggle to appear human is fascinating.

I get you at the thing of being like her father. I think she's just looking for someone to be at her side.

I think your opinion will change as you continue, at least the one about Kate.

dianis. | 509 comments Upsss, I just saw your rating jaja

Grace lol.
Yep, I finished it last night before going to sleep.

I did change my mind about Kate, which I expected. I figured something would happen in the plot to make her more likeable. But I still liked August more than I liked Kate. I found him, his inner struggle, and his story to be more compelling.

The pace did pick up and got better as I progressed but not to the point where my heart was pounding with obvious anticipation.

I think one of my favourite parts was when Leo showed up at the end, and the sequence of events that unfolded once he did.

I'm thinking that Our Dark Duet will be better and stronger, but I'm undecided as to whether I want to see this duology through.

Now that I've read it, please feel free to say anything and everything about your thoughts on the book. When did things pick up for you? Are you eager to read Our Dark Duet?

dianis. | 509 comments I agree with the August thing, his problem was way more interesting and understandable. I suppose that I can also get Kate, but her fixation for her father's attention wasn't my cup of tea.

I predicted the Leo thing, so it wasn't that great for me. But I liked that he wasn't shown exactly evil.

I started to really get engaged when August and Kate were "attacked," but just because I finally got what I wanted.
I really wanted more background or at least a better explanation about how the monsters started to appear. And how did her father managed to rule them?

I gotta admit that I've already read Our Dark Duet, just because the book was just so light and the monsters really got my attention.

Grace Yes, the action picked up when they were attacked. I liked how the subsequent scenes slowly developed their trust with each other.

How did you like Our Dark Duet? Did it provide more background and answer your questions? Do you wish there were a third book or are you satusfied with how it all ended?

dianis. | 509 comments Oh yes, that was so good!
I also like the humor of both of them. And the monsters, too. It was really interesting premise of a soul eater

I like Our Dark Duet but it wasn't amazing. Unfortunately, it didn't answered all my answers and kinda left wanting more:(
I really would have wanted to see how the story continued, if it wasn't of something that happened in the ending :(
Are u going to continue the series?

Grace I am on the fence as to whether I will read the 2nd book. Im not ruling it out completely, but it isnt at the top of my list. I have so many books in my TBR pile :)

Did you say that you read Schwab's Darker Shade of Magic series? You werent that impressed, right?

Taryn Bashford (tarynbashford) I'm almost half way and love the fact that August and Kate don't meet until like page 100 or so....keeps you waiting and wondering :)

Grace I have to admit that their meeting was one of the things at the beginning that kept me reading. I was curious to find out how it would happen, what the circumstances would be.

Taryn Bashford (tarynbashford) Grace wrote: "I have to admit that their meeting was one of the things at the beginning that kept me reading. I was curious to find out how it would happen, what the circumstances would be."

Ha ha. It wasn't just me then. I wondered if that would annoy readers, but it worked for me.

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments I'm about ready to start this one, but I can't read any of your posts because I think only 1 is marked as a spoiler. I don't know which chapters any posts cover or if they have spoilers. :(

It's helpful for your partners to mark the chapters, use spoilers so it hides it, and then we know which ones we can read without having the book spoiled for us.

I'll read after I finish but I'm curious why one of you gave it a 2 and the other a 4. I'm sorry you didn't care for it, Grace. I had started this one a year or so ago and the part I read I liked a lot.

Grace I'm sorry about not marking spoilers @Vicki. My bad. I know for next time.

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments No worries, Grace. We've all done it, I'm sure. I'm sorry for not getting to this yet!!!