Play Book Tag discussion

Footnotes 2017-2018 > Versatile Books

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenni Elyse (last edited Oct 03, 2017 04:15PM) (new)

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1266 comments Some of you may know or remember that I decided to reread Dune for the Space Opera tag because it's my all-time favorite book. Well, I didn't finish it. Because the author was American, I thought it'd work for the American tag. Win for me, right? Sort of, because I still haven't finished it, lol. (It's been a hard few months.)

As I think about it, I think it would work perfectly for Society too. I mean the whole book is about religion and power, ecology, and inheritance and nepotism. Sounds pretty entrench in Society to me.

I guess what I'm getting at is that these tags have worked out perfectly for my slow reading, lol. I know I'll finish it this month. Ha!

I think it would be fun to have a discussion regarding some of these things. So...

Any other books you can think of that are versatile like Dune?

Also, do you like reading books with several different themes? Or do you prefer reading a book that focus on one theme only?

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8282 comments Focusing more on the issue of finishing a book in time for the tag, I deliberately read a number of American books before starting the classic Gone with the Wind around September 18. I knew there was a chance, unlikely one, that I would never finish it in time for it to count for American. And it is the classic American book, while Dune is the classic Space Opera book. Yes, GWTW could also fit society easily, but it pains me Innoway, because it's not what I picked for society. And I will read more closely fitting chosen book. But honestly it was the American tag that inspired me to finally pick it up. So I care less about the points, and the fitting in, I really like how the tags get me to pick up things that weren't necessarily next on my list. That's what I love about this group. Is that I can choose something spontaneously from my TBR, that wasn't next up for me and it's like a little surprise each month. I don't know if that's what you were asking, but that's how I took it. I'm over 80% done, and hell or high water, I'm returning it to the library on Thursday. I have three magic books waiting, A few society, the last in a challenge, and a few next ups and can't waits.

message 3: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2752 comments I think I know exactly what you mean. I started Alexander Hamilton in May for the 2004 tag, I put it aside completely while my son was home on leave, but I hoped to finish it in July for the award winner tag; didn't happen, I was only about half way through. I was so glad we had the American tag in September because it forced me to finally punch through it. It was a very good book and each one of those applicable tags helped inspire me to tackle it.

message 4: by Jenni Elyse (new)

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1266 comments Amy wrote: "Focusing more on the issue of finishing a book in time for the tag, I deliberately read a number of American books before starting the classic Gone with the Wind around September 18. I knew there w..."

That was a great answer. I understand how you feel about it "paining" you for not finishing it for the tag you chose. I feel the same way about Dune, but I'm happy to be reading it.

And, I also like this group for that reason too. I pick up things that may not have been on my immediate TBR. :)

message 5: by Jenni Elyse (new)

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1266 comments Jgrace wrote: "I think I know exactly what you mean. I started Alexander Hamilton in May for the 2004 tag, I put it aside completely while my son was home on leave, but I hoped to finish it in July f..."

Yay for the convenient order of our tags, lol! :D

message 6: by Karin (new)

Karin | 6920 comments Yes, there are many versatile books; none are coming to mind off hand, perhaps because I've seen this a number of times (not as much as I'd like though!)

message 7: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6276 comments So glad the tags are being cooperative at least, Jenni! Dune is a pretty big, fat book so I'm sympathetic!

message 8: by Jenni Elyse (new)

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1266 comments Anita wrote: "So glad the tags are being cooperative at least, Jenni! Dune is a pretty big, fat book so I'm sympathetic!"

Lol. Thanks! :) And, it has been nice to have the tags as cooperative as they are.

message 9: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments I know that I have "rolled over" to a new tag on more than one occasion. I'm not sure if I've done it for 2 months though.

I think it's more a matter of the tags cooperating. When you have a pretty generic tag, like female authors coming up, it takes some of the pressure off of finishing. My goal is too try to read at least one book per monthly tag. Funnily enough, if it is more specific, I sometimes try to read 2.