Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Skullsworn (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, #4)
This topic is about Skullsworn
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Skullsworn [Mar 22, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 3 stars

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7557 comments Mod
This is a Buddy Read for Skullsworn by Brian Staveley starting March 22, 2018.
Skullsworn (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne #0.5) by Brian Staveley

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments I read the Unhewn Throne already, but I'll be happy to go for this one. I planned to do it some time ago.

message 3: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mayim wrote: "I read the Unhewn Throne already, but I'll be happy to go for this one. I planned to do it some time ago."

sweet!

message 4: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 3 stars

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
Good prequel. The last quarter of the book really good.

Jakyro | 67 comments I’m still reading book 3, I should finish it before the end of the month. After that I’ll probably read something else first. Skullsworn will be for after that in April

message 7: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 3 stars

I'll probably join you in April for Skullsworn. I'm also currently still on book 3, but not quite as far as you (ch 5 or 6).

message 8: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 4 stars

Timelord Iain | 18044 comments Mod
Bout time for this... hopefully I like it... think I'm going to start now...

message 9: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 3 stars

I started this morning even though (for a plethora of reasons) I haven't had a chance to finish the 3rd book yet (even though I'm liking it). This one was handy though so here we go!

message 10: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 4 stars

It's only very loosely connected... not like you're spoiling anything...

I'm on chapter 4, I think... sometimes Pyrre does things that make it hard to be 100% rooting for her... (view spoiler)

Andorion (ruineleint) I totally forgot about this BR! Will start soon

message 12: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 4 stars

Halfway thru... about the song/love: (view spoiler)

message 13: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chapter 23: Hour left to go...

I think I liked this one more than Last Mortal Bond and Providence of Fire... better than Emperor's Blades is debateable...

(view spoiler)

message 14: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 4 stars

Holy Sh!t... ::shudder:: ... Can't really say much more without spoiling it... but that's cold... I'm near the end of chapter 23 I think...

message 15: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 4 stars

Almost at the epilogue now: (view spoiler)

::victory lap::

message 16: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 3 stars

That prologue was killer. I'm extremely fascinated by this society. It's one of many I've read but I think it will be one that's done well for a change.

message 17: by Samir (last edited Mar 23, 2018 02:40PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Samir (royceblackwater) | 842 comments I'm halfway through and it's kinda meh so far. Too much talk and daydreaming, not enough action and killing. And it's a bit too much descriptive.

Andorion (ruineleint) 10 chapters done.

I really don't like this world much and this book has mostly been devoid of appeal. The last chapter was good though.

Regarding Pyrre's basic plan
(view spoiler)

One of my basic gripes about the world

(view spoiler)

message 19: by Rob (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1952 comments I'm starting this today. Just a few pages from finishing Deadhouse Gates.

Sotiris Karaiskos | 8 comments I read it about one year ago, I would have read it again but I have too many reading obligations lately and I do not have time. I remember that I loved it very much, Pyrre was one of my favorite characters in the main trilogy, so the opportunity to get to know her better was very attractive. I really like the way of writing, full of sarcasm, which leaves room for emotion and romance. (view spoiler)

message 21: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob wrote: "I'm starting this today. Just a few pages from finishing Deadhouse Gates."

This has me calculating how long it's been since I finished... soooooo long ago I can barely remember, lol...

Andorion (ruineleint) Okkk This book improves a lot after chapter 10. I think I am going to finish this right now.

The delta is a more interesting world than anything else I have read, and Pyrre is a far more bearable protagonist than the three siblings of the original trilogy.

message 23: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 4 stars

Arkadeb wrote: "Okkk This book improves a lot after chapter 10. I think I am going to finish this right now.

The delta is a more interesting world than anything else I have read, and Pyrre is a far more bearable..."

Yea... I'm not sure how much my comparison between this and the original trilogy is a praise for this book and how much is a statement of how much the original trilogy started to wear on me as it went on...

message 24: by Rob (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1952 comments Iain wrote: "Rob wrote: "I'm starting this today. Just a few pages from finishing Deadhouse Gates."

This has me calculating how long it's been since I finished... soooooo long ago I can barely remember, lol..."

Me and my reading 3 or 4 books at once thing on again. Heck I still haven't plowed through Queen of Fire yet. I put that down in favor of finishing Deadhouse.

Andorion (ruineleint) Finished it. The last part, especially the last battle was excellent.

(view spoiler)

Andorion (ruineleint) Iain wrote: "Almost at the epilogue now: [spoilers removed]

::victory lap::"

Of all Pyrre's decisions, waiting for the old woman to (view spoiler)

Frank | 711 comments Arkadeb wrote: "Iain wrote: "Almost at the epilogue now: [spoilers removed]

::victory lap::"

Of all Pyrre's decisions, waiting for the old woman to [spoilers removed]"

Finished as well, all in all, wasn't blown over by this book compared to the trilogy.
@Arkadeb, I agree (view spoiler)

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments I'm thinking I like it less and less. In the trilogy, the Ananshael brethren sounded less like glorified psychos. I simply cannot stand Ela.

message 29: by Rob (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1952 comments Finished tonight. Kinda guessed very early on that (view spoiler).

Not sure where I rank this amongst the 4 in this world since it's so different than the original trilogy. I think possibly better than the 3rd book but less than the first two.

message 30: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 3 stars

So, over a month later and I'm still only about halfway through this. I just need to DNF it or hurry and binge read it to the end. There are some interesting components I like, but for the most part I'm kind of bored with the story and don't feel like there's enough of a conflict. Honestly, before diving in I was hoping for more of a Skullsworn training aspect kind of like what he did in the main trilogy with the Kettral. Or at the very least something involving more than just one person's quest. So far it's a meh with splashes of okay, cool.