HPL Reads discussion

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachael (new)

Rachael | 3 comments Hello everyone! I hope you're ready for some thrills and chills this month. Our topic is thrillers, and can include a true-crime, mystery, ghost story, or other work that puts you in that spooky frame of mind for October.
If you want to try and win a treat, visit Homewood's Beanstack page at homewood.beanstack.org. Sign in or register for an account and after you log your book you'll be in the drawing for a $50 Visa Gift Card.
What spooky reads are on your list?

Homewood Public Library (homewoodpubliclibrary) | 53 comments Mod
I can't decide if I should read a classic like The Best Short Stories of Edgar Allan Poe or something modern like Nightmares: A New Decade of Modern Horror, edited by Ellen Datlow. Thoughts and suggestions?

message 3: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 10 comments Someone in the Tuesday night Page Turners group recommended The Lie Tree. Mild-mannered Faith is secretly investigating the murder of her father and trying to unlock the mystery of his discovery, the eponymous tree that only bears fruit when Faith "feeds" it a lie. Faith uses the social constraints of 19th century England to fade into the background and sneak around for answers, confident that no one is watching her. But will anyone listen to her once she discovers the truth? I enjoyed the idea of this book, a female lead defying her set role and a tree that eats lies? That has major mystery potential. I felt there were a few contradictions within the text to help Faith solve the mystery and a few scenes were rushed or out of place to advance the plot, but overall, I enjoyed the story. I think it would be a great book club selection as it questions the role of women in science, and also because it is about great scientific advancements in evolution set in the time when Darwin and his contemporaries were shaking everyone's "faith" in certainties like the age of the earth and creation.

Homewood Public Library (homewoodpubliclibrary) | 53 comments Mod
That one sounds like it definitely has some spooky elements to it!

message 5: by Heather (new)

Heather (fun-sizelibrarian) | 35 comments Mod
I devoured a novel over the weekend: Phantom Evil by Heather Graham. It's a romantic suspense novel in theory, but it was definitely spookier - and more thrilling - than the typical book of that genre. I actually had to stop reading it and read something else before bed because I was afraid I'd have nightmares!

message 6: by Judith (new)

Judith (librarianjuju) | 1 comments The Oxmoor Page Turners read Ruth Ware's The Woman in Cabin 10 this month, a novel full of suspense. It was a good read-a-like if you are an Agatha Christie fan.