Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

The Last Mortal Bond (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, #3)
This topic is about The Last Mortal Bond
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > The Last Mortal Bond [Feb 20, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 4 stars

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7033 comments Mod
This is a Buddy Read for The Last Mortal Bond by Brian Staveley starting February 20, 2018.
The Last Mortal Bond (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, #3) by Brian Staveley

message 2: by Maciel (new) - added it

Maciel | 39 comments I'll join for this one! I've already read the first two books and need finish the trilogy ☺

Deborah Obida | 21 comments Will join this if I remember, have already read the first two books.

Arka (ruineleint) Really liked the last one, in for this.

message 5: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1718 comments Kicked it off this morning. Through chapter 4. Anyone else diving in today?

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2317 comments I will start by Friday.

message 7: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1718 comments Noticing this book is like 300 pages longer than the second and 500? pages longer than the first. Guess they really wanted it done in a trilogy!

Jakyro | 64 comments Only halfway through the second book. It will be at least a weak before I start this one

message 9: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1718 comments Jakyro wrote: "Only halfway through the second book. It will be at least a week before I start this one"

Beginning to think I can delay this and go back to finishing up the Tower Lord then?

message 10: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm almost stressfully behind on all the things. I'll be shooting for starting by the weekend. I think you're safe to be casual with this one. :)

message 11: by Rob (last edited Feb 20, 2018 10:27AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1718 comments Niki Hawkes wrote: "I'm almost stressfully behind on all the things. I'll be shooting for starting by the weekend. I think you're safe to be casual with this one. :)"

Almost stressful is exactly right. Way behind in Tower Lord, haven't started Deadhouse Gates, and now into this one. Wish I hadn't read "Fire and Fury" that one was no joy to read and not anything that I didn't really know already. Thankfully the stress is related to just choosing between joy :)

message 12: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1718 comments Into Chapter 6.

(view spoiler)

message 13: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yeah haha if having too many good books to read is the biggest problem of the day, I guess we're doing well. Bummer on a wasted read. I noticed as a Bookseller that those political ones have a tendency to sell a ton but have no real substance. It's awesome that people want to know more about what's going on, but 9 times out of 10 those best sellers are garbage (in my humble opinion). The stuff you really want to know isn't so easily accessible.

Yay through Chapter 6! I have to say, while I have such positive intentions towards buddy reads and genuinely want to join them all, I look back to when I was just reading one or two a month (as with OMW) and I had the ability to start on time and really immerse in the group read. I miss that a little bit. It feels almost like I'm phoning it in due to lack of time. I may have to take another critical look at my BR schedule. This one remains my favorite series going on atm.

message 14: by Timelord Iain (last edited Feb 22, 2018 07:19AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Timelord Iain | 14902 comments Even I'm late on this one... it's so long I wanted to read Gemmell first... then I threw in Hollow World as a sci-fi breather... started last night...

Middle of first (view spoiler) POV (~20%): (view spoiler)

Edit: Couple pages later: (view spoiler)

message 15: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1718 comments Iain wrote: "Even I'm late on this one... it's so long I wanted to read Gemmell first... then I threw in Hollow World as a sci-fi breather... started last night...

Middle of first Valyn POV: I was very confus..."

(view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 14902 comments On a less spoilery note... I love the cover of this one... gives a better idea of what Kestrels look like...

Deborah Obida | 21 comments Will be starting today, anyone else dreading Adare's POV?

Timelord Iain | 14902 comments I wasn't, but I probably should have been... (view spoiler)

Deborah Obida | 21 comments Iain wrote: "I wasn't, but I probably should have been... she's basically been Il Tornja's puppet the entire trilogy... you'd have thought that would have ended after the first book... then in the second book ..."

I hated her since she became an idiot (view spoiler)

Deborah Obida | 21 comments This long extensive internal monolgue even during dialogues is frustrating and annoying or is it just me?

message 21: by Arka (new) - rated it 3 stars

Arka (ruineleint) My biggest problem so far is that I really don't like or care for any of the PoVs.

Adare and Kaden are both idiots.

Timelord Iain | 14902 comments I feel like this book would be much shorter if (view spoiler)

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2317 comments started this morning. In chapter 3. too early to say anything but i think a lot will revolve around siblings distrusting each other, specially with Keely on Kaden's side and Tornja on Adare's.

Timelord Iain | 14902 comments Haha... that's basically what my newest spoiler was about...

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2317 comments didn't touch that spoiler as you are way ahead of me. :)

Deborah Obida | 21 comments Do we have a specific time to finish this? Cause as much as I want to know how things end I don't really care for the characters in this book, I only liked Valyn who I have no idea what happened to, the rest can die and I won't even feel it. Its usually hard for me to focus on books that I don't care for the characters so will read this slowly with other books.

Timelord Iain | 14902 comments No time limits... mods just move to archive in a few months...

Deborah Obida | 21 comments Iain wrote: "No time limits... mods just move to archive in a few months..."

Thanks.

Timelord Iain | 14902 comments No problem... everybody around here reads at a different pace... and starts at a different time these days, since the 2018 team reading competition has incentivized reading as many buddy reads as you can...

So we just try and stick around and comment as others catch up... get the most out of each Buddy Read...

Timelord Iain | 14902 comments Around 60-65% now: It's kinda funny to watch Adare and Kaden come to many of the realizations I commented upon above...

The segments around 60% (view spoiler)

And then around 65%, I was reminded of this Kids in the Hall skit: (view spoiler)

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2317 comments around 27%.

(view spoiler)

message 32: by Timelord Iain (last edited Feb 24, 2018 05:38AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Timelord Iain | 14902 comments Finished...

80%: I KNEW (view spoiler) had to return... considering (view spoiler)

90%: We get some awesome cinematic bad-assery from (view spoiler)

100%: I feel like (view spoiler)

message 33: by Arka (new) - rated it 3 stars

Arka (ruineleint) Finished it. On reflection, I will be changing my rating from 4 to 3.

Several things bothered me
(view spoiler)

message 34: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 4 stars

lol, starting today. At this point I feel like I'm just phoning it in for points (don't want to do that). The Olympics really threw me off my reading game (but were fun to watch!).

Deborah Obida | 21 comments 22% in, can someone please tell me this is real (view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 14902 comments Deborah wrote: "22% in, can someone please tell me this is real [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 14902 comments Niki Hawkes wrote: "lol, starting today. At this point I feel like I'm just phoning it in for points (don't want to do that). The Olympics really threw me off my reading game (but were fun to watch!)."

You're so close to the finish line, Niki... points or no points, don't you want to reach the ending?

message 38: by Deborah (last edited Feb 28, 2018 05:27AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Deborah Obida | 21 comments Iain wrote: "Deborah wrote: "22% in, can someone please tell me this is real [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Thanks! (view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 14902 comments Should probably delete my spoiler and/or replace it with [spoilers]... Goodreads is pretty bad about that if you hit reply with a spoiler open near the top of a comment...

Deborah Obida | 21 comments Iain wrote: "Should probably delete my spoiler and/or replace it with [spoilers]... Goodreads is pretty bad about that if you hit reply with a spoiler open near the top of a comment..."

Thanks, I just did that.

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2317 comments DNFed at 52%.

tried very hard but with each chapter it is getting tough to go on. story is going nowhere, characters are getting more dumber. I just couldn't do it anymore. Reading became a chore than the joy i read books for. :/

Deborah Obida | 21 comments Manju wrote: "DNFed at 52%.

tried very hard but with each chapter it is getting tough to go on. story is going nowhere, characters are getting more dumber. I just couldn't do it anymore. Reading became a chore..."

Sorry it didn't work out for you, am frustrated with the book too, the only reason am continuing is cause I want to see how things end, I also heard that Valyn will be super badass which I also want to read about, couldn't care less about the others.

Timelord Iain | 14902 comments Yea... I explain away most bad books I finish as "it was only a couple hours on audio"... if books took me longer than 1-3 days I'd abandon more books...

Deborah Obida | 21 comments 1-3 days to finish or 1-3 days to find interest in the book?

Timelord Iain | 14902 comments 1-3 days to finish... I listen to most books at 1.5x-2x audiobook speed... so 300 pages takes 5 to 6.67hrs instead of 10hrs... that's about how much reading I can do each night at work... longer books take multiple days, and I can listen to 3-6hrs at home as well, depending on my mood... so unless the book is boring me, or over 1000 pages long, it doesn't tend to last long enough to quick...

Which is one reason my ratings have been lower this year, on top of being more critical, in general... I only started speeding up my book 3 months ago...

Deborah Obida | 21 comments Wow, that's cool. I don't have a specific number of days that I finish books, mainly cause I tend to read multiple books at a time, so some will take hours, others days some even weeks, depending on how interesting it is to me. Number of pages also determine how long it takes me to finish a book

message 47: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1718 comments Iain wrote: "Around 60-65% now: It's kinda funny to watch Adare and Kaden come to many of the realizations I commented upon above...

The segments around 60% [spoilers removed]

And then around 65%, I was remin..."

My favorite KITH skit of all time :)
(view spoiler)

message 48: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1718 comments I finished yesterday. Liked the series as a whole. Since i"m reading it at the same time as I read the Blood Song trilogy for the first time, I think this one is still slightly in the lead through the final book of Blood Song is yet to come. Looking forward to reading Skullsworn though.

(view spoiler)

May have more to say later once I process it and others finish.

I think I may have been yelling at the book when: (view spoiler)

message 49: by Jakyro (last edited Mar 07, 2018 04:53AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jakyro | 64 comments I finally finished book 2. I'll be starting this today / tomorrow

Jakyro | 64 comments Still liking this a lot after having read 52%
I wasn’t really convinced after book 1, but book two was a very good read and this book continues at the same level.

« previous 1