Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

The Providence of Fire (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, #2)
This topic is about The Providence of Fire
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > The Providence of Fire [Jan 25, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (last edited Oct 03, 2017 01:03PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7025 comments Mod
This is a Buddy Read for The Providence of Fire by Brian Staveley starting January 25, 2018.
The Providence of Fire (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, #2) by Brian Staveley

message 2: by Lee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lee (leeman729) | 828 comments I'm finishing book one today, and will definitely be in time for this!

message 3: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sweet!! Did you love it as much as I did? :)

message 4: by Lee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lee (leeman729) | 828 comments Niki Hawkes wrote: "Sweet!! Did you love it as much as I did? :)"

I really enjoyed it =]. Great writing, great world building - only thing I wasn't totally feeling was certain aspects of the characters. Valyn and Kaden were great (maybe just a little bland), but I found Adare to be SUPER annoying haha.

Honestly a really unique book though, and better than I expected.

message 5: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 4 stars

I was dreading that I wouldn't like it as much as I'd hope I would. Expectations are everything lol.

message 6: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm really excited to see where the story goes next. :)

message 7: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1711 comments whoops posted in the old thread. I'm starting tomorrow in audio (also have it out from the library in hardcover). Still, have to finish up Blood Song.

message 8: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 4 stars

Haha I've done that. If I decide I don't care about finishing my current (boring) read then I'll be joining you tomorrow.

Timelord Iain | 14879 comments I'm going to start this today... I was going to do Exile first, but Diana's comments haven't been promising... instead I'll jump into this from just finishing Warbreaker...

I think it's been long enough (and an avalanche of books) since reading Emperor's Blades, that I've forgotten most of the things I spoiled online after reading the first book...

message 10: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 4 stars

Iain wrote: "I'm going to start this today... I was going to do Exile first, but Diana's comments haven't been promising... instead I'll jump into this from just finishing Warbreaker...

I think it's been long ..."

I really liked Exile. At one point it was my favorite of the trilogy. Although I can totally see Diana's points. I really love the atmosphere of the underdark.

lol that's good haha.

I'll be starting today as well. Soooper excited.

message 11: by Arka (new) - rated it 4 stars

Arka (ruineleint) Starting this tomorrow. I really liked the first book, will be interested to see how the story develops.

Timelord Iain | 14879 comments For once, I'm not starting early...

Timelord Iain | 14879 comments I just realized this is the same narrator as Temeraire... dunno how I missed that during the last book...

message 14: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 4 stars

That's good to know. I have that series still in the docket and I like this guy.

message 15: by Lee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lee (leeman729) | 828 comments I *intend* to start this tomorrow =].

Timelord Iain | 14879 comments 25% thru... was worried early on when they reminded us about Vaelin's black egg yolk powers 2x in short order, but they've been better about that since... I think Adare's storyline has been my favorite so far, this time around... and (view spoiler)

I assume I've reached the point where (view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 14879 comments 50% thru: I really struggled with reading Kaden's parts for awhile there, but they've started looking up recently...

Adare continues to be my favorite, this time around... this really feels like a middle book... everybody is tied up in things that are delaying the main plot of the trilogy (at least the brothers are)...

It's also interesting how the plotlines of the 3 siblings mirror one another again... in the first book that was simple, since the point was to neutralize their chances at the throne, by murder and seduction...

This time around, (view spoiler)

It's interesting how the characters are changing... (view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 14879 comments 66%: Things are getting more and more complicated... I like the new POV, tho...

message 19: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lol. Later today:

Iain: I finished the book!!
Me: so, Chapter 1 was nice.

;)

message 20: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1711 comments Niki Hawkes wrote: "Lol. Later today:

;)"

And of course I"m a big fat liar and haven't even started. I felt guilty for not finishing what I'm already in the middle of. Hope to finish two things today and get some Blood Eagle points!

message 21: by Timelord Iain (last edited Jan 26, 2018 08:26AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Timelord Iain | 14879 comments Niki Hawkes wrote: "Lol. Later today:

;)"

Pretty much... already at 75%... I thought this one was going to take me longer... only 3hrs left...

I can't tell how much the characters are being manipulated, anymore... (view spoiler)

message 22: by Lee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lee (leeman729) | 828 comments Holy crap another AMAZING prologue.

message 23: by Lee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lee (leeman729) | 828 comments Hopefully the rest of the book is just as good as the prologue this time around haha.

message 24: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lol right??

Timelord Iain | 14879 comments 95%:......................

That's all I have to say at the moment concerning recent developments...........

message 26: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 4 stars

Through ch 7. (view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 14879 comments *Rubs hands together evilly*... Just wait until you see where the plot goes...

message 28: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1711 comments Ok - read enough of other stuff today, but at least had to read the prologue which left me with a W....T.....F moment :) I'll take a full dive in tomorrow (which I'm realizing is today as I sign off from Goodreads).

message 29: by Arka (new) - rated it 4 stars

Arka (ruineleint) Ok for some strange reason I could not find the discussion group until now!

Anyway, does the prologue remind anyone of the opening scene of Gardens of the Moon?

4 chapters in.
(view spoiler)

message 30: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1711 comments Arkadeb wrote: "Ok for some strange reason I could not find the discussion group until now!

Anyway, does the prologue remind anyone of the opening scene of Gardens of the Moon?

4 chapters in.

I get the feeling..."

(view spoiler)

message 31: by Lee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lee (leeman729) | 828 comments Through chapter 2: (view spoiler)

message 32: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 4 stars

Through Ch 23 (view spoiler)

message 33: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 4 stars

Liam wrote: "Through chapter 2: [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 34: by Arka (new) - rated it 4 stars

Arka (ruineleint) 9 chapters in

(view spoiler)

message 35: by Arka (new) - rated it 4 stars

Arka (ruineleint) Liam wrote: "Through chapter 2: [spoilers removed]"

Yeah, and frankly (view spoiler)

message 36: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1711 comments Through chapter 17. Loving the pacing. Plot is constantly moving forward.

(view spoiler).

message 37: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 4 stars

Through ch 28 (view spoiler)

message 38: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 4 stars

Arkadeb wrote: "Liam wrote: "Through chapter 2: [spoilers removed]"

Yeah, and frankly [spoilers removed]"

Haha I agree

message 39: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob wrote: "Through chapter 17. Loving the pacing. Plot is constantly moving forward.

[spoilers removed]."

Ooh I like your theory. :)

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2317 comments Is this BR still on? hope am not too late to be a part of this...

message 41: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1711 comments Manju wrote: "Is this BR still on? hope am not too late to be a part of this..."

Jump on in!

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2317 comments okay then, will start today.

message 43: by Arka (new) - rated it 4 stars

Arka (ruineleint) OK then, 16 chapters in

(view spoiler)

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2317 comments around 14% and six chapters down.

(view spoiler)

message 45: by Arka (new) - rated it 4 stars

Arka (ruineleint) Finished it.

The book slows a bit in the middle, but ends well. The twists keep on coming and the stakes are continually raised.

(view spoiler)

message 46: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1711 comments finished last night as well. this book just continued to surprise. away from home so can't do spoiler discussion on the app.curse you Goodreads app.

Jakyro | 64 comments I only started this today. I have been pretty busy the past two weeks after the birth of my son and reading wasn't one of my top priorities. I finally finished my previous book and can now concentrate on this one.

I liked the first book but I didn't think it was an exceptional book. I hope the second book delivers more.

message 48: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 4 stars

Congrats on the birth of your son! :D

I hope you enjoy this one more.

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2317 comments Jakyro wrote: "I only started this today. I have been pretty busy the past two weeks after the birth of my son and reading wasn't one of my top priorities. I finally finished my previous book and can now concentr..."

Congratulations. :)

Am around 30% and will be here to give you company.:D

message 50: by Lee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lee (leeman729) | 828 comments Jakyro wrote: "I only started this today. I have been pretty busy the past two weeks after the birth of my son and reading wasn't one of my top priorities. I finally finished my previous book and can now concentr..."

Congrats!! I've got a baby boy coming in about a month =].

« previous 1