Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > The Emperor's Blades [Dec 15, 2017]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 106 (106 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 6907 comments Mod
This is a Buddy Read for The Emperor's Blades by Brian Staveley starting December 15, 2017.
The Emperor's Blades (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, #1) by Brian Staveley

message 2: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3340 comments I'm in.

message 3: by Gustavo (new)

Gustavo Oliveira (gustavooliveira) | 18 comments I'm in, too!

message 4: by Seán (new)

Seán | 602 comments Looking forward to it!

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments Already read the trilogy and I loved it:)

message 6: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments I might try and join for this. I've been wanting to read these.

message 7: by Manisha (new)

Manisha | 13 comments Hoping to join in for this.

message 8: by Lee (new)

Lee (leeman729) | 828 comments Oh lovely I just got the first two books in a sale on audible ^_^.

message 9: by Adam (new)

Adam  (adamkroeger) | 14 comments Just bought this, I'm excited!

message 10: by Solseit (new)

Solseit | 1456 comments I am considering re-reading this series!
I loved it the first time around - pretty much one of the first fantasy series I committed and finished. Let’s see how many books I have around but I would love giving it another go!

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 1337 comments Oh crap!! I want to get in on this one!! I need to write all of this stuff down. I didn't see this one either. I have the trilogy already so I want to get on with it

message 12: by Arka (new)

Arka (ruineleint) Been meaning to read this for a long time. I am in.

message 13: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Angela | 3517 comments Mod
Enjoy this one. It's a good trilogy.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 1337 comments Yay!! 😄

message 15: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14682 comments There are so many reads I've signed up for and never added to tracker... this is in my tracker and yet I never said I was in... unless I did it on the schedule page...

message 16: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

I'm most excited for this one.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3907 comments In.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 1337 comments Yesssssssssssssssssssssssss! Woot !

message 19: by Chris (last edited Nov 14, 2017 05:03PM) (new)

Chris (murphy44) | 706 comments You're welcome to all! I bought this and it was an automatic monthly read! Soooo.....yeah! 😎

message 20: by dianis. (new)

dianis. | 65 comments I really want to join in!

message 21: by Shaitarn (new)

Shaitarn | 1862 comments Just done that 'oh look, I have that one on my shelf!' thing, so I might join in with this one - besides, I'm going to see my family on 16th, so that's at least three hours solid reading time on the train!

message 22: by Jakyro (new)

Jakyro | 64 comments I'll probably join a little bit later

message 23: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14682 comments It's the 14th already... Guess I'll be starting this tomorrow...

message 24: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments I will most likely be late for this.

message 25: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Me too lol. I probably will start Sunday. I'm most excited for this read, I just need to finish When the Heavens Fall first. :)

message 26: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14682 comments I'm probably going to read to a 3rd Vorkosigan Saga book first... they're so short that I'm flying through them... if I read this 3rd one, I'll be ready for the Miles Vorkosigan books when I return to it...

So I'll start Saturday, instead...

message 27: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

How are those? They came highly recommended by Patricia Briggs. Lol

message 28: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Btw I don't remember which thread you wrote "shame" for me starting yet another series, but it really made me laugh. True story. I meant to reply right away but got distracted and lost it lol.

message 29: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14682 comments It was more directed at Jenna for not having a ton of Buddy Reads schedules, but the SHAME can be passed around...

I'm really liking these Vorkosigan books... just finished the 2nd one in the last 36hrs... pretty character-driven sci-fi... I've heard about them and/or had them recommended to me 2-3x in the past 6 months... and having just read Curse of Chalion for the Buddy Read, I decided to jump over and try it since it's the same author... glad I did...

message 30: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Hahaha omg. All the things are about me, don't you know? Guilty conscious.

message 31: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

That's cool, I've been eyeballing it for a few months now. Glad it's holding up.

message 32: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14682 comments So much for waiting... I can't hear the Barrayar narrators over the forklifts at work, so I started "early"... The prologue was interesting... on chapter 5 already...

message 33: by Timelord Iain (last edited Dec 15, 2017 04:50AM) (new)

Timelord Iain | 14682 comments So... you know me... I'm on Chapter 23 (of 50) already... nearing 50%... sorry guys... I didn't even start early, really... I've just been getting tons of reading done since I was allowed to listen to my books (in one ear) while driving a forklift again... the rules vary on managerial whims, and whether there was some big accident within the company recently...

Anyway, thoughts on the book... so far, the 3 POVs feel like separate stories... and the sister has a lot less page time than the blurb led me to believe... something like 45/45/10 for the 2 brothers and the sister, I think... I expect (this sense of disconnect between the storylines) to change soon... we'll see... I'm liking the 2 main POVs so far... I don't think I've seen enough of the 3rd to comment much, yet...

message 34: by Arka (new)

Arka (ruineleint) Oh dear, I seem to be rather late on this... I think I will switch it in over the weekend.

message 35: by Lee (new)

Lee (leeman729) | 828 comments I'll be starting this late, for sure haha. Trying to finish The Crown Tower and then I'll get going on it.

message 36: by Arka (new)

Arka (ruineleint) Liam wrote: "I'll be starting this late, for sure haha. Trying to finish The Crown Tower and then I'll get going on it."

And you just reminded me that I still haven't read the third book Riyria. There is never enough time....

message 37: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3340 comments I'll be starting late too. I've been busy with holiday baking and watching holiday shows with the kids so haven't spent much time reading these last few days. :-)

message 38: by Rob (last edited Dec 15, 2017 06:59AM) (new)

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1656 comments First time reader to this. I'm through chapter 3. So far so good. I'm sure I'll slow down at some point to bake a cake for my wife's bday, hopefully, see the new Star Wars and maybe have a date night at some point. December is insane in my family. (two religions, 3 birthdays).

message 39: by Gustavo (new)

Gustavo Oliveira (gustavooliveira) | 18 comments I’ll start someday this next week and will try to catch up with you, guys!

message 40: by Rob (new)

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1656 comments Iain wrote: "It was more directed at Jenna for not having a ton of Buddy Reads schedules, but the SHAME can be passed around...

I'm really liking these Vorkosigan books... just finished the 2nd one in the last..."

I love the Vorkosigan series. Great characters, thought-provoking, yet quick reads all. I have to get back into it. (goal for 2018)

message 41: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14682 comments Things have started heating up in Chapter 25-30: (view spoiler)

I spoiled some things reading the blurbs for the trilogy... mostly, I realized (view spoiler)

message 42: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14682 comments Chapter 40-42: Things are getting good, here: (view spoiler)

message 43: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14682 comments And I finished... I might have made some hasty assumptions from the blurbs... (view spoiler)

message 44: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14682 comments Rob wrote: "Iain wrote: "It was more directed at Jenna for not having a ton of Buddy Reads schedules, but the SHAME can be passed around...

I'm really liking these Vorkosigan books... just finished the 2nd on..."

I'm liking them, too... just might be too quite for work listening, tho...

message 45: by Arka (new)

Arka (ruineleint) 6 chapters in. I really quite like the setup so far.

I think this might be one of those books which mix combat and politics in a balanced way.

message 46: by Rob (new)

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1656 comments Through 8. Trying not to make any assumptions yet. I can see there are some unreliable POVs and that everything is close to the vest.

message 47: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14682 comments @Rob: Lots of devious individuals for sure... I think it all starts to come together around chapter 30-40... things start being explained or theories used in practice...

@Arkadeb: There wasn't nearly as much politics as I expected... I think the sister gets 5 chapters in the whole book... altho there is a bit of politics to the other POVs as well, I suppose...

message 48: by Arka (new)

Arka (ruineleint) 30 chapters in... I really quite like this book!

(view spoiler)

message 49: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14682 comments Arkadeb wrote: "30 chapters in... I really quite like this book!

Valyn has the darkest storyline I think. He really goes through some horrible stuff. I was kind of wondering whether Lin would die.

Kaden so fa..."

Theory time (not sure this is really a spoiler, but just in case): I think Kaden's master (view spoiler)

@Arkadeb: The Throne does, technically... since (view spoiler)

message 50: by Arka (new)

Arka (ruineleint) Iain wrote: "Arkadeb wrote: "30 chapters in... I really quite like this book!"
(view spoiler)

« previous 1 3