Bloody Good Horror discussion

2017 Readings > October '17 Reading - SPOOKY TIME

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by CC (new)

CC Vep (violetanimals) | 76 comments Mod
Alright guys - I know we were supposed to read Those Who Hunt The Night by Barbara Hambly, but after digesting the brick of IT - lets take a breather this month and enjoy the best season of the year.

However - Let's do a suggestion box:
What are your absolute go to Halloween reads? Do you go for the nostalgic, the terrifying or fun?

message 2: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa Gray (lycanthropologies) | 65 comments Mod
DANGIT I just bought that book like yesterday 😂

My favorite spooky books are honestly The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson and Coraline by Neil Gaiman.

message 3: by Corinna (new)

Corinna (boozybooknerd) | 3 comments My bookclub is reading The Haunting of Hill House and I haven't read it yet :)

message 4: by Alyssa (new)

It’s so good I hope you like it

message 5: by Corinna (new)

Corinna (boozybooknerd) | 3 comments I recently finished The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane. The story begins on Halloween night and it's really good! I liked the movie, too.

message 6: by Brian (new)

Brian Lassiter (belassiter) | 20 comments The Haunting of Hill House was really good. But for my money, Hell House was better.

message 7: by Brian (new)

Brian Lassiter (belassiter) | 20 comments I usually don't re-read fiction. Generally, I tend to read a couple of HP Lovecraft short-stories. And whenever I travel, I pick up a book of local legends and ghost stories. I tend to read from those books this time of year. And I just heard about this book that I'm thinking of checking out. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

message 8: by Brian (new)

Brian Lassiter (belassiter) | 20 comments I usually don't re-read fiction. Generally, I tend to read a couple of HP Lovecraft short-stories. And whenever I travel, I pick up a book of local legends and ghost stories. I tend to read from those books this time of year. And I just heard about this book that I'm thinking of checking out. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

message 9: by Alyssa (new)

Yeeeess I also love Hell House

message 10: by Zaq (new)

Zaq | 1 comments I'm halfway through Mongrels by Stephen Graham Jones and digging it quite a bit. I think I'll revisit October Dreams as well.

message 11: by David (new)

David Sheynkman | 2 comments I was going to read Stephen King's new book and try to finish the shining. Now that all of you are mentioning the Haunting of Hill House I might try to start reading that instead.

message 12: by Suki (last edited Oct 07, 2017 07:57PM) (new)

Suki St Charles (goodreadscomsuki_stcharles) | 11 comments My GR groups are reading The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson, In a Glass Darkly by J Sheridan LebFanu, The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins, The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman, and The Graveyard Apartment by Mariko Koike. I have a pile of horror anthologies I want to read in October. Some are stories by classics authors (1910 or earlier), and some are story collections by authors of the "new weird". I always revisit some works by Poe and Lovecraft at this time of year, too. A lot of my FB friends are rereading A Night in the Lonesome October by Roger Zelazny, one chapter per day; my copy went south with an ex roommate a couple of years ago, so hopefully the copy I ordered gets here next week. I always skim through The Halloween Tree by Ray Bradbury around the end of the month, too; I don't always read the whole story, but I always read the description of the Tree. I am thinking of reading the Locke & Key, Vol. 1: Welcome to Lovecraft series by Joe Hill-- I read the first two volumes, but I'd like to read the entire series now that I've collected them all. Finally, on Hallowe'en night, I like to read I Luv Halloween, Volume 1 by Keith Giffen. I have an omnibus edition of all three books-- they are a horrible and hilarious manga series. If I still have reading time left in October, I'd like to reread some Junji Ito horror manga, and I still have a copy of Hell House by Richard Matheson that I didn't get to in a previous month's book group read.

message 13: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (thepjcurley) Something Wicked This Way Comes is always a favorite. Lovecraft, Poe, and selected readings from The Dark Descent are all good too.

I might switch it up and read something new, I've been seeing Meddling Kids by Edgar Cantero everywhere.