Coffee & Books discussion

Discussion Archives > October 2017: Dark Matter

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Rachel Jorquera  (racheljorquera) | 3017 comments Mod
Dark Matter starts here!

Discussion Questions

What elements of horror, suspense, and thriller are brought to this book by Paver?

Is Jack believable? Reliable?

Is the horror or "scare" factor there? Was it successful? Is there something that can be done different?

If you're a horror fan, how did this live up to its predecessors or even more recently released?

message 2: by Colleen (new)

Colleen  | 143 comments I don't think of this as horror - thriller, science-fiction, yes. But not my definition of horror.

message 3: by Ashleigh (last edited Oct 17, 2017 01:48PM) (new)

Ashleigh | 9 comments I also don't really categorize this as horror. It was more of a psychological thriller. I'm not sure it had the scare factor, per se, but it was definitely creepy at times. I enjoyed this book but it wasn't scary compared to others that I've read. I think more interactions with the ghost would've made this a better horror story. Seeing it a few times outside the window just didn't fully do it for me. I needed more.

message 4: by Pippa (new)

Pippa (pippa222) | 3 comments I thought it was incredibly well-written. I loved the descriptions of the Arctic landscape, and the way she was so good at getting into the minds of her characters (and yes, Jack definitely worked for me). I thought there wasn't enough description of the ghost though, and I thought the historical background to his presence evoked the wrong emotions for the story! She's a very good writer though - and can only get better.

message 5: by Pippa (new)

Pippa (pippa222) | 3 comments Ashleigh, or anyone, do you have any other ghost stories you would recommend? Something where you would see more, and possibly interact more, with the ghost?