Coffee & Books discussion

Discussion Archives > October: The Shining

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Rachel Jorquera  (racheljorquera) | 2992 comments Mod
Discussion for The Shining!

Discussion Questions

What does "shining" mean to you?

Is The Shining serious literature? Will it stand the test of time?

How does Stephen King attempt to capture what it's like to be five, in the figure of Danny Torrance?

Is the novel ever funny? Does it have moments of comic relief? Does it make you cry? Is it depressing, hopeful, both?

Have you seen the film? How do the two compare?

Does this live up to the 'horror" genre?

Are you a big King reader? If so how does this compare to his other books?

message 2: by Colleen (new)

Colleen  | 143 comments Loved this book and definitely define it as horror! Having seen the recently remade movie It, I would love to see this one redone. The movie is great too. Has anyone read the sequel Mr. Sleep? I thought it was good too.

message 3: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Rachel Jorquera  (racheljorquera) | 2992 comments Mod
I want to read this one! I have both Dr Sleep and this one. I love the original movie. I don’t know if I would want that to be redone because it’s such a classic and I don’t think they need to touch it to keep it “scary”

message 4: by Shay (new)

Shay (shaylyn318) | 61 comments I hated the movie. I didn't think it was scary at all. Especially after reading the book. The movie characters are nothing like the book which makes me dislike it even more. Even King doesn't like it from what I have heard. I would love to see it remade better. There is actually another movie made truer to the book. You can find it on Netflix. I think King had more of a say in it. It isn't as well known as the Nicholson version. As for the book, it was good. There were definitely some really creepy moments. I may try to reread it this month then read Dr. Sleep.

message 5: by joyce g (new)

joyce g | 156 comments One of my top five SaiKing book. An evil hotel in the snow laden wild. Do read Dr. Sleep and enjoy Danny Torrence all over again.

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (spirolim) | 119 comments Is The Shining serious literature? Will it stand the test of time?
Oh I think it will! Out of all of King's books, this one is my favorite. It is brilliantly done, and it is well-written. It's a horror/ghost story that people from each generation will recommend to the next generation.

How does Stephen King attempt to capture what it's like to be five, in the figure of Danny Torrance?
Very few people can really capture what it's like to be five years old, and I'm not sure King succeeded in this novel. It's difficult to say, because Danny has a special ability that grows him up too fast. However, Danny's plans and the things he thinks seem to be somewhat accurate.

Is the novel ever funny? Does it have moments of comic relief? Does it make you cry? Is it depressing, hopeful, both?
There were a couple of early moments where I chuckled, but I didn't really view it as a book with moments of comic relief. I found the story to be mostly sad and depressing, although I don't remember crying when I read it (I probably did at some point though, I am a huge crybaby)

Have you seen the film? How do the two compare?
The film was very good, in it's own way (the actors were well chosen), and it had it's scary and tense moments, but I feel that the book was more fleshed out and terrifying. It's kind of like when you compare the book and movie Jurassic Park: both are excellent, but for different reasons.

Does this live up to the 'horror" genre?
If someone says no to this question, they clearly haven't read this book yet.

Are you a big King reader? If so how does this compare to his other books?
I wouldn't call myself a big King reader. Sometimes, I find King's stories to be a little overwritten (I was not a big fan of Cell), but I have read a few of them. Personally, this is my top favorite, with Bag of Bones being a possible second favorite.

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) | 58 comments This book is a great one! One of the better King novels, in my opinion.