Mount TBR 2017 discussion

General Information & Rules > Mount TBR Checkpoint #3

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bev (last edited Oct 03, 2017 07:17PM) (new)

Bev | 357 comments Mod
Oh my goodness! Where does the time go? Last I checked, September was just starting....and now it's gone and it's time to get the third quarterly checkpoint up and running. Let's see how our challengers are doing after they've got 9 months under the ol' mountain-climbing belt.

For those who would like to participate in this checkpoint post, I'd like you to do two things:

1. Tell us how many miles you've made it up your mountain (# of books read). If you're really ambitious, you can do some intricate math and figure out how the number of books you've read correlates to actual miles up Pike's Peak, Mt. Ararat, etc.

2. Complete ONE (or more if you like) of the following:
A. Who has been your favorite character so far? And tell us why, if you like.
B. Pair up two of your reads. But this time we're going for opposites. One book with a male protagonist and one with a female protagonist. One book with "Good" in the title and one with "Evil." Get creative and show off a couple of your books.
C. Which book (read so far) has been on your TBR mountain the longest? Was it worth the wait? Or is it possible you should have tackled it back when you first put it on the pile? Or tossed it off the edge without reading it all?
D. Choose 1-4 titles from your stacks and using a word from the title, do an image search. Post the first all-eyes-friendly picture associated with that word.

And what do you get for all that hard work (and distraction from the actual climb)? The check-in will close for prize opportunities at 11:59 pm on Tuesday, October 10. Sometime next Wednesday I will crank up the Custom Random Number Generator and pick a winning climber. He or she will have the chance to add to their TBR stack via my gently-used book vault (prize list will be sent). Just think, if you win a book you can start up a pile for next year's Mount TBR Challenge.

Even if you're not in the mood for a prize or you've already finished your climb, I'd love to have you check in with us and tell us all your news!

***Please note--the thread is for Checkpoint comments only, by which I mean your check-in post. Comments that are not Checkpoint-specific will be removed--to make it easier for me to track a winner. If you would like to cheer on your fellow climbers (encouraged!), please stop by their climb folder. If you have a comment on the rules of the check-in or any other concern, please comment on the main Info & rules thread OR my martian Chronicles thread. You may enter here OR on my blog site (but not both places, please).

message 2: by Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review) (last edited Oct 03, 2017 10:58AM) (new)

Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review) (knyttwytch) 1. 138 out of 150 read (taking me to 92% of the way there!)
2. A. Favourite character - Nell Pratt from the Museum Mysteries by Sheila Connolly she was thrown in at the deep end and managed - and she is quickly become the go to lady for anything historical.

message 3: by Meg (last edited Oct 04, 2017 09:19AM) (new)

Meg (makeli2) | 28 comments 1. 62 out of 75 read, and am confident that I'll complete the climb by the end of the year! For example, in one of my other current challenges alone, I've included six old TBR titles, due to be read by 12-20.

2A. My favorite character? It's a tie between Lexi Carmichael from series of same name by Julie Moffett and Meg Langslow from series of same name by Donna Andrews. Feisty, smart and fun.

2C. The oldest Kindle title in my list is Terri Reid's Loose Ends, downloaded 04-09-2011! Really enjoy this series and wish I'd started it sooner. Sometimes the editing lacks, however. I have much, much older print TBR but, ahem, let's not go there...

I wish I could say this is reducing my TBR piles but, um, I've purchased at least as many this year as I've eliminated. lol

message 4: by Leslie (new)

Leslie I have made my original goal and moved onto higher peaks. I am currently climbing Mount Everest and am close to the top at 96 out of 100 done :)

message 5: by Meg (new)

Meg (makeli2) | 28 comments Whoo hoo, Leslie!

message 6: by Jonathan (last edited Oct 04, 2017 01:55PM) (new)

Jonathan | 100 comments After moving from Mt Blanc to Mt Vancouver at mid-year I'm still on track to complete my climb as I'm exactly 3/4 of the way to the top.

My favourite character was Timothy Gedge from William Trevor's The Children of Dynmouth - he's a rather strange boy.

message 7: by Nell (last edited Oct 15, 2017 01:24PM) (new)

Nell Mt TBR Checkpoint #3

1. I've read 31 out of 36 books for Mt. Vancouver. That's 86% up the mountain or 9,336 feet up the 10,856 ft mountain.

B. Pair up opposites. I found several pairs:
Iced Under and Hot Button
Lost Legacy and Finding Sky
Only a Promise and Big Little Lies

C. Saddled with Trouble by Michele Scott was one of two books on my TBR the longest. It was an ok mystery, not worth the wait.

D.
Twisted Threads

Bridges Burned

Finding Sky

Puppet for a Corpse

message 8: by Conny (last edited Oct 04, 2017 06:01AM) (new)

Conny Checking in:

I have read 58 books so far this year. Since I only joined this challenge after finished the PopSugar Challenge and I wasn't aware that I could credit all eligible books from that challenge as well, I only pledged 24 books, so I've basically already scaled my peak before I even started :D That is why I'm running two tallies: the overall progress (58 => past Mt. Ararat) and the ones without the previously read books (8 => on my way towards Mont Blanc). I'm well on track, though, and confident I'll make it.

A. Who has been your favorite character so far? And tell us why, if you like.
Sarah Kincaid from Die Flamme von Pharos, a young archeologist in Victorian times who wants to follow in her father's footsteps but is faced with ridicule and discrimination by the professional societies, which, unsurprisingly in those times, only took men seriously. She is both feminist and feminine, clever but no superwoman, rational and emotional. A fully formed, engaging character.

B. Pair up two of your reads. But this time we're going for opposites.
Summer of Night vs. Winter of the World
The Girl You Left Behind vs. Mad About the Boy

C. Which book (read so far) has been on your TBR mountain the longest?
Scarlett
I pilfered this book from my mom ca. 2004 (after watching Gone With the Wind for the first time) and it's been sitting on my shelf ever since.
And yes, it kinda-sorta was worth the wait, even though I felt the second half of the book was trivial, way over the top, and cheesy as hell. It was still an engaging read, and especially the first half was really nice.

Skipping the image search because I'm at work right now and shouldn't spend too long surfing the interwebs^^

message 9: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) 1. I've read 36/60 books, further behind than I've been in other years!!

2A. I really like Auggie in Wonder. He's a brave boy who teaches others what true kindness is.

2B. This year, I read Anansi Boys and Girl, Interrupted, as well as The Girl on the Train for my opposite comparison.

2C. I think Eragon had been on my TBR the longest. I first read it around 2005, but never completed the series, so I had to reread it this year, since I didn't remember anything about the plot!

I'm currently reading 2 books for this challenge, and need to read a book every 3 1/2 days to compete my hike. Better get reading!

message 10: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten (keslei) | 37 comments 1. I've moved 14 books (out of 24) off my mountain so far - I'm off the pace but did a lot better this past month.

2A. I've read a couple of Daredevil comic collections, so I'm going with Matt Murdock as my favorite character. I love his sense of humor, his commitment to justice, and his stubbornness.

2C. Run with the Horses: The Quest for Life at Its Best has been on my TBR pile for over six years. It was excellent, and I wish I'd read it sooner.

2D. Firebirds Rising

message 11: by Sam (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) 1. I've read 29 of 48 books, that is 3.103 meters up on Mt. Ararat. So there are 2.034 m more before me. I hope I can do it.

2. Complete ONE (or more if you like) of the following:
A. Who has been your favorite character so far?
Still, the characters from Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt feel the most real to me. I read this book in February. A newer pick would be London from Neverwhere (which totally was a character).

B. Pair up two of your reads. But this time we're going for opposites. .
Aladdin's Lamp vs Cat's Cradle: The first telling of the beginnings of science, the latter of their end.

C. Which book (read so far) has been on your TBR mountain the longest? Was it worth the wait? Or is it possible you should have tackled it back when you first put it on the pile? Or tossed it off the edge without reading it all?
I finished my Sherlock Holmes collection, which has been sitting on my shelves at least for five years. And it was fun. In this case I don't think reading it earlier would have made a difference.

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (outtaty) | 34 comments 1. I've read 55 books out of 60. I bumped up my mountain a bit after the last checkpoint. :D

2. As far as characters go, I fell in love with Ove from A Man Called Ove. I love me some cranky old men.

message 13: by Karen (last edited Oct 04, 2017 03:13PM) (new)

Karen | 66 comments 1. 44 out of 60 books. I went through a period of reading books that came from anywhere but my TBR but am now reading a few to ensure I hit the target.

2A. I read The Complete Winnie the Pooh - how can anyone not love Eeyore??? This was from January though so a newer pick would be Cassie Palmer from Reap The Wind

2C. I identified three books on my shelves that I bought before the year 2000 and was not sure I had read. I have read two of them so far. The End of the House of Lancaster was technically in the last quarter but I read The Wars of the Roses: A Concise History in this quarter. In terms of fiction I have owned Gone with the Wind since about 2001-2003 but at least I had read it from the library before then!

message 14: by Quirkyreader (last edited Oct 04, 2017 04:40PM) (new)

Quirkyreader | 188 comments 1. I have read 187 books. So I have blown past Mt. Olympus.

2b. Many of the books I have read have colours in them. So for contrast you have The Red Room The Red Room by H.G. Wells . The Red Room by H.G. Wells The Red Room

Then for a value contrast we have The Grey Woman The Grey Woman by Elizabeth Gaskell . And The Ebony Frame by E. Nesbit The Ebony Frame

message 15: by Susan (new)

Susan | 52 comments 1) 58/60 so the top is getting close, but sometimes those final steps are the most difficult!

2A). The old grandmother from The Island of the Horses for her spirit, wisdom, and joie de vie.

2B) In this challenge, I've read from A(rabesk) to Z:(A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald) and counted Ready, Player ONE, The SECOND Chance Dog, and THREE Bags Full, before skipping ahead to The LAST of the Wine.

3B) I bought Violet Clay by Gail Godwin so long ago, there wasn't even a mountain, just a small TBR hill. I've picked it up a couple times but could never get into it. The story meanders for quite awhile before picking up momentum, but I liked it better once I'd finished and could see the whole design. Was it worth the wait? Not for me, but I only know because I read it ;)

message 16: by Alanna (new)

Alanna 1. 72/48 originally, /75 currently. I might start listening to some of the Victorian-era books on audio; I haven't read a single page in over a week.

2C. Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Vol. 1 (as well as volumes 2 and 3) has been on there since 2010, beating out all but one or two books on my shelves. I find the tie-ins weirdly satisfying, so I am glad I didn't get rid of them, but the quality of the novels is...variable.

message 17: by Kendyle (new)

Kendyle | 46 comments Check point 3
1. I’m almost to the top of Mt Vancouver with 35/36 done.
2. I didn’t have much for opposites, but I had “Devil Bones” and “Library of Souls”.
The book that I read (or tried too) this quarter that’s been on my shelves the longest was James Lee Burkes “The House of the Rising Sun” which I abandoned 3/4s of the way through. Guess I should have donated it a lot earlier. (Decrease the clutter)

message 18: by Rokkan (new)

Rokkan (rokk) | 35 comments Check point 3

1] I made it to the top of El Toro, so I've moved on to Olympus. I'm 85% of the way up there (or will be when I update)

2] I've read The Lie Tree which has a female protag and The Silver Dream which has a male one.
The book that's been on my TBR the longest is Year 50 which I bought in May 2012. I have other unread books that I've had even longer >.<. Am already adding some of them to next year's potential book list! It was a decent enough book, but not exactly the most thrilling thing I've read all year.

message 19: by Jazz (new)

Jazz | 21 comments Check Point #3
1. I'm keeping pace on climbing Mt. Ararat with 37 out of 48 books read along the treacherous climb.

2a. My favorite character was the delightful Monsieur Pamplemousse and his loyal bloodhound Pomme Frites, who made me LOL. I look forward to encountering them again through many more books.

2b. Opposites: Death in Daytime vs. Death Lights a Candle

2c. Longest on my TBR mountain: It Happened in Boston? by Russell Greenan. Fascinating book, but would never re-read it.

2d. Don't know how to add a photo. :)

message 20: by Guy (new)

Guy Finished the 48. Actually 49. As for favourite character--I'd have to go with the ones in the Anita Brookner novels I read. No one single character.

message 21: by Irene (new)

Irene | 13 comments Checkpoint #3
1. I've finished Mt Vancouver (my original goal) and Mt Ararat (my second goal) and I'm currently 52 books out of 60 on the way to Mt Kilimanjaro. I really want to hit that goal this year.

2. B Moon Palace and Waiting for Sunrise.

2. C Critical Mass: How One Thing Leads to Another by Philip Ball has been on my TBR mountain the longest. I bought it in 2008 on holiday before going to uni because I thought it might be an interesting read for one of my subjects. It definitely was not worth the wait. I could have tackled it way back when, not sure if I would have liked it any better, but I sure did have more time to read crappy books during uni. I still haven't managed to ever not finish a book and toss it off the edge of the mountain and I wouldn't have done it with this one either.

message 22: by Bev (new)

Bev | 357 comments Mod
My apologies for not getting to the prize drawing as soon as planned. This week has been a bit of a horror at work and I just came home yesterday and became a couch zombie (just staring at my laptop and not really doing anything). It might have turned out that way tonight--but I just remembered that I had some random number generating to do for challenge prizes. So....let's get this prize show on the road!

The Custom Random Number Generator is all warmed up and after plugging in our numbers, it has given me....Number 12, Sarah. Congratulations, Sarah! I'll be contacting you soon about getting you the prize list.

Thanks to everyone for joining in on the check-point. Are you all ready to finish the last 3-month haul on our trek?

message 23: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 12, 2017 06:04PM) (new)

1. Completed 7/12 books for Pike's Peak!
a) Favorite Character: Mary J. MacLeod (who is actually a real person, as this was based on a memoir while living in the Scottish Hebrides).
c) I wiped out my entire "to read" shelf at some point this year but out of all the books completed, I believe The Pearl That Broke Its Shell was on it the longest. For fictional books set in Kabul, it wasn't my favorite, especially when compared to The Kite Runner. Still, I gave it three stars.

(Congratulations, Sarah!!)

message 24: by Eileen (new)

Eileen | 15 comments I am late posting but wanted to do it anyway, even though most of you have read WAY more books on your TBR than I have (although I have read plenty of other books!).

1. Completed 11 of 12 books for Pikes Peak, many of which are from when I got my first Kindle, 8 years ago. I've traveled 2.45 miles up the 2.67 miles up Pikes Peak.

2C. My first book, on my TBR list longest, is from March 2010. The last one I read, from January 2011, I wish I hadn't waited so long to read--I really did enjoy it!

One more to go!

message 25: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (outtaty) | 34 comments Wow. Thank you Bev!

message 26: by Bev (new)

Bev | 357 comments Mod
Sarah wrote: "Wow. Thank you Bev!"

You're welcome, Sarah!

Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review) (knyttwytch) Congratulations Sarah!

message 28: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Congrats Sarah!

message 29: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (igem36) Mt. TBR Checkpoint #3

1. 18/24 (6 books read this quarter)

2. A. Hannah Dunstan, a resident of colonial Haverhill, MA, made a brief but unforgettable appearance in A Week on the Concord and Merrimack Rivers.

2. B. An Italian Journey ~ A Harvest of Revelations in the Olive Groves of Tuscany ~ A Pretty Girl, Seven Tuscan Farmers, and a Roberto Rossellini Film ~ Bella Scoperta was by James Ernest Shaw and Myths and Legends of Ancient Egypt was by T.G.H. James.

2. C. The Memory Bible: An Innovative Strategy for Keeping Your Brain Young was very outdated by the time I read it: much of the research the author described had been debunked and experimental treatments for dementia he was excited about had been abandoned.

Late as usual - and I didn't finish any books in October, so I may have to sign up for Pike's Peak in 2018 after all.

Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review) (knyttwytch) Woo hoo all done!

message 31: by Bev (new)

Bev | 357 comments Mod
Hilary S wrote: "Woo hoo all done!"

Congratulations! Final check point will be coming at the end of the year.