Love Letters to Writers: Encouragement, Accountability, and Truth-Telling Love Letters to Writers discussion

#loveletter2writers

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Patricia Writers need all the encouragement we can get. I can't wait to dig in to this book! Thanks, Andi Cumbo-Floyd‏! @andilit

message 2: by Andi (new) - added it

Andi Oh thank you, Patricia. Love that you started a thread here. . . if I can answer questions, let me know.

Or if anyone has quotes, favorite letters, or struggles with anything I've written, I'd love to have a discussion.

Vibeke Mouridsen I love the title of this book. It makes me feel embraced as a writer.

message 4: by Andi (new) - added it

Andi Oh thank you SO MUCH, Vibeke. Truly.

Becca Andi, in Chapter 18 you talk about making space for your words, and I particularly love the last paragraph :

“So this week, my friends, try slowing down. Stare at beautiful things. Listen to music without doing anything else. Read a book for three hours in a row if you can. Give yourself space so that your words can breathe, too.”

This love letter and especially this paragraph reminded me a lot of poet Jane Kenyon’s words, which I have copied many times. Kenyon writes: "Be a good steward of your gifts. Protect your time. Feed your inner life. Avoid too much noise. Read good books, have good sentences in your ears. Be by yourself as often as you can. Walk. Take the phone off the hook. Work regular hours."

I have set myself the intention to work on just this concept, on getting quiet and purposefully shutting out some of the noisy distractions of today’s world. I’ve begun to realize just how detrimental all this noise is for my writing life and for my soul.

I’m developing some of my own “rules for the writing life” which include: Turn down the social media. Spend more time doing nothing. Take deep breaths. Smile. Read out loud. Write something every day.

I’d love it if some other readers/writers/creative folk would share their list of “rules” for the Life.

Thanks for this wise, warm, and wonderful book of letters, Andi.

Vibeke Mouridsen I have come to realize that I need to work on this, not only because of my writing life but also for peace in my life in general. E.g. I hardly watch TV anymore.

message 7: by Andi (new) - added it

Andi Oh, thank you, Becca. . . as always, I find I need to heed my own wisdom here. . . for me, social media is now usually the noise, so I'm committing here today to turn it off for most of the day. Here's to hoping I can keep my own commitment. :)

Patricia Love "The Grumpy/Weepy Test" for discerning the need to take a break. I definitely tend to try to power through those and it inevitably just makes things worse. (Along with making me grumpier and weepier.)

message 9: by Andi (new) - added it

Andi OH yes, I need to more consistently practice my own words there. . . lately, I've been right on the edge of both a lot. Clearly, I need to step back a bit. :)