Polls for Our Souls discussion

TV, Movie, Music, Social Media > What spooky movies should I watch this October?

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aiden (The Book Scourge) (last edited Oct 03, 2017 08:41AM) (new)

Aiden (The Book Scourge) | 141 comments I really enjoy reading horror novels, but haven't seen that many horror movies. What are some good ones to see?

message 2: by Serisop (new)

Serisop "The Ward" with Amber Heard♥

message 3: by Devann (new)

Devann (devannm) | 111 comments Well there's all the classic ones obviously, but As Above So Below is one of the best newer ones I've seen in awhile.

message 4: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Jaye (valeriejaye) | 170 comments My favorite horror movies are Insidious, The Conjuring, and Dead Silence.
Basically any horror movie directed by James Wan.

message 5: by L.C. (last edited Oct 03, 2017 10:15AM) (new)

L.C. Perry | 120 comments I definitely second Insidious, The Conjuring and Dead Silence. I also recommend the 2015 film Circle (NOT the one with Emma Watson). It's not a horror film but it's psychological and relevant. It's very interesting and it's going to really make you wonder who is going to walk out alive.

message 6: by Sara (new)

Sara (saharasbooknook) | 22 comments The Woman in Black is a great book and movie! The Uninvited (1944) is also wonderful, and Mama.

message 7: by Irfken (last edited Oct 03, 2017 10:35AM) (new)

Irfken | 40 comments The Others (2001) is brilliant, heart-wrenching and unsettling so I'd suggest that. If you're looking for other haunted house films with eerie atmospheres and psychological horror, I'd also suggest The Haunting (1963) and The Changeling (1980). If you'd like an offbeat horror film which has elements of humor and parody, The Cabin in the Woods is just the ticket. An American Werewolf in London is a classic and always a fun watch, very 80's. Alien (1978) if you're in the mood for sci-fi horror, it's a classic masterpiece.

message 8: by Louise (last edited Oct 03, 2017 10:56AM) (new)

Louise | 101 comments The nightmare before christmas, Halloween (1978) Nightmare on elm street (1984) , Creepshow, insidious ( i like them all) , the conjuring 1-2, Anabelle, Dead Silence, it (1990) and the new if you havent seen it, The others, Candyman, The Woman in Black, Poltergeist (1982), The grudge

Yes, I like horror movies..

message 9: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Jaye (valeriejaye) | 170 comments Oooh, yes to The Others, The Woman In Black, and Poltergeist (although I wasn't scared with this one, it's an awesome movie)

message 10: by elena ⚢ (new)

elena ⚢ (elenavhaps) | 39 comments ooooh I love horror movies. all the ones listed above are great, but my favorites are the Sinister movies (there's two). Those are the only ones that have actually gotten me really, truly, cowering and watching through my fingers scared. (aside from the Human Centipede but do yourself a favor and never ever watch those.) hope u enjoy all these!!!

message 11: by dolly (new)

dolly (cryptided) the uninvited (2009), housebound, hush, the craft, it follows

ohh and Kristy is a good one, that one messed me up

Aiden (The Book Scourge) | 141 comments Valerie wrote: "My favorite horror movies are Insidious, The Conjuring, and Dead Silence.
Basically any horror movie directed by James Wan."

I'm kinda skeptical of The Conjuring though, My first brush with the Conjuring universe was Annabelle: Creation and I hate it. I found it to be a by the numbers horror movie.There were jump scares every five godd*mn minutes. Provided there are not a lot of jump scares, I'm fine with them.

Aiden (The Book Scourge) | 141 comments Irfken wrote: "The Others (2001) is brilliant, heart-wrenching and unsettling so I'd suggest that. If you're looking for other haunted house films with eerie atmospheres and psychological horror, I'd also suggest..."

Great recommendations! I do recall watching An American Werewolf in London when I was younger, have to see it again. Alien happens to be one of my favorite movies!

message 14: by ☆ Franzi ☆ (new)

☆ Franzi  ☆ (meowcifer) | 17 comments The Ring, but the original Japanese one, not the US-remake with Naomi Watts. Same goes for The Grudge (Ju-On in Japanese)

Aiden (The Book Scourge) | 141 comments Franzi wrote: "The Ring, but the original Japanese one, not the US-remake with Naomi Watts. Same goes for The Grudge (Ju-On in Japanese)"

Good to know.

message 16: by ☆ Franzi ☆ (new)

☆ Franzi  ☆ (meowcifer) | 17 comments Reader Extraordinaire wrote: "Franzi wrote: "The Ring, but the original Japanese one, not the US-remake with Naomi Watts. Same goes for The Grudge (Ju-On in Japanese)"

Good to know."

In my opinion the originals are better the remakes, while the remake of the Grudge with Sarah Michelle Gellar is at least set in Japan.

message 17: by Abbie (new)

Abbie | 243 comments Hocus Pocus is always good.

message 18: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie The animated Legend of Sleepy Hollow remains one of my favorites from childhood (along with Hocus Pocus, even though it's not "scary").

As far as horror/scary stuff, The Shrine (2010) and Djinn (2013) freaked me the hell out. Also Rose Red (Stephen King). I second the Conjuring (1 and 2), IT, the Nightmare on Elm Street movies and the Woman in Black.

And they're supposed to be working on a Hulu original series based on Joe Hill & Gabriel Rodriguez's LOCKE & KEY graphic novels for 2018. I'm so pumped.

message 19: by Abbie (new)

Abbie | 243 comments Also the Hammer Horror Dracula films are fun, and any of the monster movies like Dracula, Frankenstein, the Mummy, Creature from the Black Lagoon, etc. I don't like horror movies in general, but I wouldn't call these horror movies.

message 20: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Jaye (valeriejaye) | 170 comments Reader Extraordinaire wrote: "I'm kinda skeptical of The Conjuring though, My first brush with the Conjuring universe was Annabelle: Creation and I hate it. I found it to be a by the numbers horror movie.There were jump scares every five godd*mn minutes. Provided there are not a lot of jump scares, I'm fine with them."

Annabelle sucks because it wasn't directed by James Wan, he only produced it. Watch The Conjuring, it's excellent.

message 21: by Ashly (last edited Oct 05, 2017 07:20PM) (new)

Ashly (ashlyh) Orphan (2009) - This one is thiller/drama but it's really good
Mama (2013)
The Craft (1996) - on netflix

The classics like, Nightmare on elm street, Halloween, Friday the 13th, child's play (chucky), Stephen King movies

Kid movies for everyone - Hocus Pocus, Casper (1995), The Little Vampire,
Halloween Town 1,2,&3, Beetlejuice (1988), The Addams Family 1&2,

message 22: by Cheri (new)

Cheri (nannycil) | 33 comments Silent Hill

Aiden (The Book Scourge) | 141 comments Valerie wrote: "Reader Extraordinaire wrote: "I'm kinda skeptical of The Conjuring though, My first brush with the Conjuring universe was Annabelle: Creation and I hate it. I found it to be a by the numbers horror..."

Very well. I trust your judgement :)

message 24: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Jaye (valeriejaye) | 170 comments I would also recommend the Spanish movie El Orfanato (The Orphanage)

message 25: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Jaye (valeriejaye) | 170 comments Reader Extraordinaire wrote: "Very well. I trust your judgement :)"

Oh, good! Tell me if you liked it later!

message 26: by Tasya (new)

Tasya Dita (giselatasya) | 37 comments The Conjuring is definitely the scariest western movie I've ever watched. You should try watching the original japanese The Ring, Ju-On, and some Thai horror movies such as Alone, Coming Soon, La La Land, The Eye, Shutter, and Phobia!

message 27: by Victoria (new)

Victoria S | 10 comments The Conjuring is one of my favourite movies of all times, SO GREAT.

I'll also recommend Scream, I know is super popular but it's a classic.

If you're a fan of older horror movies, Cabin in the woods is pretty cool... they pay homage to the genre in some great ways.

message 28: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten (AfterSparkEcho) | 5 comments Pans Labyrinth is a good one for kids. Sinister. Conjuring. Mama. Insidious. Gremlins. Chucky. IT. It follows. As Above So Below. Don't be afraid of the dark. Cabin in the woods. Split is a good psychological one.

message 29: by Racheal (new)

Racheal (wildeyedbibliophile) Have to agree with Devann on As Above So Below! Also if you haven't seen Cabin in the Woods... yeah, that's a must-see! Those are pretty much the only two horror movies I've watched multiple times

message 30: by Emma (new)

Emma (theharlequinbat) Not pure horror - but Evil Dead 2, perfect horror comedy for Halloween!

Alien would have to be my biggest recommendation, the first three are the best ones (particularly the second one), but The Thing (Kurt Russell version) is very very good!

message 31: by Carly (new)

Carly  (passagetonarnia) | 12 comments Why has nobody said Halloweentown yet? Childhood classic.

message 32: by Violet (new)

Violet Clouds | 1 comments Crimson Peak? It had the feeling of the classic 60's horror movies but it was also (or at least I found it) rather gruesome!

message 33: by Muriel (new)

Muriel (muriellara) Coraline!

message 34: by L.C. (new)

L.C. Perry | 120 comments Elena wrote: "ooooh I love horror movies. all the ones listed above are great, but my favorites are the Sinister movies (there's two). Those are the only ones that have actually gotten me really, truly, cowering..."

Oh I loved the Sinister movies!

message 35: by Bailey (new)

Bailey Eilers The Pact is super good! If you want creepy it definitely fits

message 36: by Ashly (new)

Ashly (ashlyh) Shut in (2016)

message 37: by Emma (new)

Emma (theharlequinbat) OH! I cannot believe I forgot to mention Hush! Fantastic movie.

message 38: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 11 comments HOCUS POCUS!!!! Scream series, Paranormal Activity series, original Halloween, Drag me to Hell, Funny Games, The Strangers, Badabook, It Follows. Sorry for the long list. Scary movies are my JAM.

message 39: by Caroline (new)

Caroline  (caro7) How about "Get Out," "Ten Cloverfield Lane," and "A Quiet Place"?

There's also a new creepy movie coming out this month called "Midsommar":

Trailer here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Vngh...

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

It

You get the idea, the newest it is the best though!!

message 41: by Sassy Sedusa (new)

Sassy Sedusa | 1537 comments Krampus
it's a creepy christmas movie.

message 42: by Catherine (last edited Sep 10, 2019 04:17PM) (new)

Catherine | 392 comments Hum, I love horror movies so I'll only list a few of my favorites. I hope you'll find one you'll like :)

- The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920, dir Robert Wiene)
- Nosferatu (1922, dir F. W. Murnau)
- The Phantom of the Opera (1925, dir Rupert Julian)
- Psycho (1960, dir Alfred Hitchcock)
- The Innocents (1961, dir Jack Clayton)
- Rosemary's Baby (1968, dir Roman Polanski)
- The Shining (1980, dir Stanley Kubrick)
- Carrie (1982, dir Brian De Palma)
- Dracula (1992, dir Francis Ford Coppola)
- Interview with the Vampire (1994, dir Neil Jordan)
- Ring (1998, dir Hideo Nakata)
- A Tale of Two Sisters (2003, dir Kim Jee-woon)
- Let the Right One In (2008, dir Tomas Alfredson)
- Sinister (2012, dir Scott Derrickson)

message 43: by Sneha (new)

Sneha (lovegood19) I love horror movies. Some of my fav are:

- IT
- The Conjuring 1 and 2
- Annabelle 1, 2 and 3
- Ring 1, 2 and 3
- The Exorcism Of Emily Rose
- Insidious series
- Sinister 1 and 2