Stephen King Fans discussion

Sleeping Beauties
This topic is about Sleeping Beauties
Talk about the Novels > Sleeping Beauties

Comments Showing 1-50 of 168 (168 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Chris , The Hardcase (new) - added it

Chris  (haughtc) | 1099 comments Mod
Here is a discussion thread for our October book by King, Sleeping Beauties, co-written with his son Owen King.

New release, so it's a first time for most of us.....

Be mindful of spoilers. It's good to mark spoilers such:

Chapter 7: < spoiler> Spoilery Spoils < /spoiler>

It will show:
Chapter 7 (view spoiler)

The chapter/section out in front helps people that are currently reading to decide if they're far enough along to click on the clicky. And to post the spoiler tags, just take out the spaces between the < > in that example..

Kandice | 3970 comments I'm about 200 pages in and really love it so far. It definitely reads as Stephen King, and if I didn't know they collaborated, I would believe it was just him.

Donna (dfree46) | 35 comments I am also about 200 pages in and I am hooked. Loving it!

Clifton | 40 comments I just finished it this morning. 3/5 stars. For me, it is definitely "lesser King," but was still an enjoyable read. But those looking for a creepy/scary Stephen King novel should look elsewhere.

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 975 comments I'm almost a 100 pages in and so far I am enjoying it very much. But I liked Under the Dome as well and I know that's not everyone's favorite King read lol.

Maria Hill AKA MH Books (mariahilldublin) | 61 comments I still have to finish my current book before I am "allowed" to start this. I am so mean to myself sometimes :)

mrbooks | 1469 comments I just got this book today, but am already reading three books, and have to wait.

Ashley Marie Oh holy crap, I just got this book for my bday last week. Ahhhh! I'll try to fit it in for this month if I can!!

Beth (1tuffcookie) | 54 comments 70% in and so far I'm enjoying it. I haven't been disappointed yet!

message 10: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

Angie | 2547 comments Mod
Thanks for posting this Chris!

Jen from Quebec :0) (muppetbaby99) | 52 comments Whew! Read this in a day and a half! I love my Uncle Stevie. This was good, not great. The 1st half was (imo) much better than the more 'rushed' later half...--Jen from Quebec :0)

Kandice | 3970 comments I'm forced to read slow, which is irritating because I usually race through a new King in a day or so and then reread slowly a few weeks later. I'm enjoying this though, and at 250 in, still don't see the "Owen" writing.

Matthew (funkygman007) | 199 comments Almost 200 pages in. I wasn't sure at first, but enjoying it more now. Anyone else reminded of Under The Dome?

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 975 comments Yeah It does remind me of Under The Dome. I'm enjoying it emencely.

message 15: by Matt (new) - rated it 3 stars

Matt | 193 comments At least I'm not the only one reminded of Under The Dome. Very different plot, but similar feel. It's been hard to get into, partly because of a bad cold late last week, but now I'm into the groove and I'm enjoying it.

message 16: by Beth (new) - rated it 4 stars

Beth (1tuffcookie) | 54 comments Come to think of it it does have an Under the Dome feel to it.

message 17: by Chris , The Hardcase (new) - added it

Chris  (haughtc) | 1099 comments Mod
I actually loved Under the Dome, so that's good to hear.

Kandice | 3970 comments I think the reason it reminds so many of us of UtD is because the entire town is a character. So, so many little stories as opposed to one or two main focii.

message 19: by Jen_Ken (last edited Oct 04, 2017 08:51AM) (new)

Jen_Ken a.k.a....Jenny from the block | 725 comments Clifton wrote: "I just finished it this morning. 3/5 stars. For me, it is definitely "lesser King," but was still an enjoyable read. But those looking for a creepy/scary Stephen King novel should look elsewhere."

Thanks for the update....I'll wait some time and see if I can get it at a discounted price or even better a freebee.
I didn't have the extra disposable 40 bucks to spend on a ticket, not to mention the gas and tolls getting to the show where there was no guarantee that it would be a sign copy and they were not doing any book signing so forget it... just not in my budget.
BTW if it was a guarantee that it was going to be a signed book...then I would have eating PB&J for the week and bought the ticket.

Jeanne (jeanne25) | 59 comments I have been waiting for someone to make a thread. I am now a little over half way through the book. Started out as "ok" but is gradually getting better as it progresses and I am starting to really enjoy it. I have no complaints about the story but I have some issues with execution at this point.

First - I realize that the novel is a collaboration so I grudgingly accept the lack of a “Constant Reader” introduction. I must admit that I do enjoy those beginnings almost as much as I enjoy the novels. I am a Constant Reader and I love King novels but still try to be objective. I do not like the list of characters at the beginning of the book. Characters should be memorable on their own merit. I am not going to remember a list of who’s who at the beginning of a novel I haven’t read yet. If I have to look a character up later then either I haven’t been reading very thoroughly or the author has failed to properly build that character (or he/she is so minor that there is no need to look them up). So far every major character has been well developed so why insult the reader with a list?

Second issue - the props to Peter Straub, Clive Barker and Joe Hill (not bad in itself) and jabs at Trump and Koontz. I know King has made direct and indirect references in his past books to social issues, etc. but I cannot recall snide (personal) remarks about particular individuals. Perhaps I have just forgotten or I am becoming less tolerant. While I am not a Trump follower or a huge Koontz fan, I read for enjoyment and escape. We get enough bullshit in real life to deal with literary trolling.

Third issue – the here and there use of uncommon words that come across to me as showing off. I am an educated and avid reader but I don’t believe the average reader would recognize such words and so the point to be made using them (if any) is lost. Part of Stephen King’s attraction for me is his ability to connect with the common man. Chapter Four – “You say frenulum, I say frenula, Jared thought, pulling on his sneakers. Let’s call the whole thing off.” This is a passage taking place in a high school locker room among teenage students. Yes, I get what the author(s) are saying but I think the average reader would have to look the word up. For me that would be distracting and seem slightly egotistical. This isn’t the only example but the only one I could remember without looking them up.

Fourth issue – I love the accompanying artwork with books. Being in the U.S., this cover is too similar to Bazaar of Bad Dreams in terms of color and style. I would much preferred the overseas cover.

I am enjoying this book quite a bit and realize that my "dislikes" are quite minor irritations but ones that I would point out if reading any other author. So far this is a great story that has gradually improved as it goes along and I am excited to reach the outcome at the end.

Kandice | 3970 comments Jeanne25 wrote: "“You say frenulum, I say frenula, Jared thought, pulling on his sneakers. Let’s call the whole thing off.” This is a passage taking place in a high school locker room among teenage students. ..."

In this particular instance, I felt it was the writers way of showing us that Jared is not your average teen. he's smart, possibly well read and very, very articulate.

If you think of other examples, please share, because I haven't felt this way. Perhaps I missed them. I do hate it when an author uses a $5 word when the regular old two-bit version will do.

Donna (dfree46) | 35 comments I AM HALFWAY THROUGH “SLEEPING BEAUTIES” AND AM MESMERIZED. AM I THE ONLY FEMALE THAT’S KIND OF SCARED TO PUT THE BOOK DOWN AND GO TO SLEEP? 😴

Jeanne (jeanne25) | 59 comments Kandice wrote: "Jeanne25 wrote: "“You say frenulum, I say frenula, Jared thought, pulling on his sneakers. Let’s call the whole thing off.” This is a passage taking place in a high school locker room among teenage..."

Kandice wrote: "Jeanne25 wrote: "“You say frenulum, I say frenula, Jared thought, pulling on his sneakers. Let’s call the whole thing off.” This is a passage taking place in a high school locker room among teenage..."

I agree there was a purpose to that particular instance (that's why I said I understood what the author's were saying) even though I thought it could have been executed better. I will say that at over the half-way mark now, there are fewer instances. I will be sure to jot it down next time. :P

Jeanne (jeanne25) | 59 comments Matthewcross87 wrote: "Stephen king once said in an interview that each time he writes a novel he trys to write one a different way that's probably what your witnessing now"

Most likely but I am just not enjoying that aspect. It doesn't detract from the story at all though. This weekend (curious minds and all that) I am going to skim what I have read so far and see if those instances are limited to particular characters. If the use is discriminate then it would serve a purpose.

message 25: by Nick (last edited Oct 05, 2017 09:14AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nick Iuppa | 3992 comments Only a little more than a hundred pages in and I do like it a lot, but I start asking myself the old question about books written by two people. Who's writing what? In many ways, the phrasing, the way the scenes jump around is less like King and I'm wondering if Owen wrote a lot or even most of it with some story help and character insights from Dear old Dad. Also, I'm listening to the audiobook, which I have to say is an amazing performance, all done various shades of Appalachian accents.

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 975 comments I'm really enjoying it. I think its brilliant. The characters are so colourful.

Amber | 10 comments Nick wrote: "Only a little more than a hundred pages in and I do like it a lot, but I start asking myself the old question about books written by two people. Who's writing what? In many ways, the phrasing, the ..."

I am fresh from the book tour where they did have a discussion on their collaboration process. They would each write a section and leave a gap in the section for the other to fill in. Then they read each other's work and gave feedback and made edits, as well as input from the editor. It sounds pretty collaborative that way, and I haven't noticed any jarring differences in their writing styles so far in my reading. Oh, and the original idea came from Owen and he approached Stephen to help write the actual story.

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 975 comments That's really interesting. It's pretty hard to figure who is writing what because it seems so seamless.

Latasha (latasha513) | 372 comments I'm glad to hear so many people are liking it. judging from my friend's updates & reviews, most haven't. i'll be joining in but it may be later this month. I haven't read under the dome, so all new territory!

message 30: by Beth (new) - rated it 4 stars

Beth (1tuffcookie) | 54 comments Agreed Linda it does flow together well. I've not read any Owen King so it's kind of hard for me to compare writing styles.

Kandice | 3970 comments I can't remember if I've mentioned this, but I grew up in McDowell County, WVA, so this is a treat! He never writes about MY places. They are capturing the feel of that area so well, I wonder how they know. Maybe Owen has spent time there.

message 32: by Nick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nick Iuppa | 3992 comments Kandice wrote: "I can't remember if I've mentioned this, but I grew up in McDowell County, WVA, so this is a treat! He never writes about MY places. They are capturing the feel of that area so well, I wonder how t..."

I wondered if they were getting it right. Somehow they even manage to differentiat the speech of the different characters and still make them sound like they come from the same area. Of course, listening to the audiobook adds another dimension.

Jen from Quebec :0) (muppetbaby99) | 52 comments I too, LOVED Under the Dome and believe me- this is NO 'UtD'! 'Dome' is what King does best-- SMALL TOWNS AS CHARACTERS. King is able to portray an entire town of people so very well- from the bad marriages to the impoverished families, to the gossipy WASP ladies to the ultra religious dude to the pack of local kids, you know? 'Dome' had the 'small town vibe' down pat, much like 'Needful Things', for example. I must say that in the end, I was let down by 'Sleeping Beauties'...it was....OK. A lot of exciting build up to a not so exciting end...and while DOME was full of side stories and well developed characters (although, really, I think Needful Things is his BEST 'small town' novel and half the petty dramas between THOSE characters could have been books unto themselves) Sleeping Beauties seems as though it TRIED to do this and failed....I mean, the Cast of Characters in the front section of the book, to me, felt like an ATTEMPT to create another small town magnum opus yet the majority of the characters listed are VERY minor, with some dying before you give a shit about them at all...take the very 1st character listed, and what happened to him, for example! He was hardly worth adding to the list, given how long (or not long) he has a direct impact on the story! Argh....I have a lot to say and need to bite my tongue and think before ranting anymore...sorry for those of you subjected to my rambling thoughts!! ---Jen from Quebec :0)

message 34: by Nick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nick Iuppa | 3992 comments Amber wrote: "Nick wrote: "Only a little more than a hundred pages in and I do like it a lot, but I start asking myself the old question about books written by two people. Who's writing what? In many ways, the p..."

Great information Amber. Thanks very much.

Maria Hill AKA MH Books (mariahilldublin) | 61 comments I am two Chapters in. A nice introduction to a cast of characters and the story is about to begin. Fingers crossed for a thrilling ride.

message 36: by Kandice (last edited Oct 07, 2017 05:57PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kandice | 3970 comments I'm a bit over 400 pages in and have to say that build up was terrific, but now that we are down to the meat of the tale... not so much.

I also have to say that it is very, very reminiscent of The Fireman, which was a great book, but shouldn't be fodder for a rehash.

Matthew (funkygman007) | 199 comments I am almost to Part 2. Kandice - your most recent post scares me because I am enjoying it right now. Also, I didn't care for The Fireman.

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 975 comments I'm 76% through this one and it has slowed down some. At this point reading to finish and see what happens.

Karri Wright I'm about a 3rd of the way through this one and am enjoying it fairly well, now. It took me a little bit to get into it at first, but after I did, it picked up for me. Looking forward to the continuing story.

message 40: by Matt (new) - rated it 3 stars

Matt | 193 comments I've finished and my review is posted. I felt the final 200 pages rescued the book, though I was still disappointed with it overall. Not every book is a classic, and this probably won't go down as a SK great.

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 975 comments I finished the book. I thought the last few pages dragged. Overall I enjoyed the book.

Latasha (latasha513) | 372 comments Oh no, that's no fun Matt & Linda. I still haven't got to it yet.

message 43: by Matt (new) - rated it 3 stars

Matt | 193 comments Latasha wrote: "Oh no, that's no fun Matt & Linda. I still haven't got to it yet."

I'd still give it a go. Personally my expectations were high, especially because I loved the Bill Hodges trilogy so much. I didn't hate it, but wasn't enthralled either.

Latasha (latasha513) | 372 comments I'm going to.

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 975 comments Yeah I would read it. It wasn't all that bad. It was sort of a let down after the trilogy. I did enjoy it.

message 46: by Jeanne (last edited Oct 11, 2017 07:41AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jeanne (jeanne25) | 59 comments I have finished the novel and the initial annoyances I had with the novel were quickly forgotten as the novel progressed and improved. I enjoyed the story overall. As always, I love King's ability to develop characters that are so real that you feel as though you actually know them. For me that is the key of every book. I have to love, hate or feel "something" for any major character. Too many authors fail to create that effect. This won't be one of my favorites but it is a solid well written story. I am still going over the ending in my mind. I have not come to a conclusion on that yet but since I am still thinking about it - then it must have succeeded on some level.

I still must acknowledge one thing that bothered me early on in the book. I put Stephen King's writing on the highest of pedestals. Perhaps, not being a big Koontz reader, he does have a novel in which he has a dog that communicates with Scrabble tiles. If so then I apologize but that comment felt more like a jab at the author and IMHO that is a petty act beneath someone of such talent.

Bottom line - while every King book cannot be epic, Sleeping Beauties is a solid and well executed novel and I recommend it highly.

Latasha (latasha513) | 372 comments Just started this. I'm listening to the audiobook. The lady is voicing Jennifer is a terrible hick voice. I don't like it.

Latasha (latasha513) | 372 comments Oops Tiffany, not Jennifer.

message 49: by Nick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nick Iuppa | 3992 comments Latasha wrote: "Oops Tiffany, not Jennifer."

But overall I think she's doing a great job in the read, differentiating all those different Appalachian women. And then she switches to Evie, (view spoiler)

message 50: by Shay (new) - rated it 1 star

Shay (shaylyn318) | 7 comments I am a little over 300 pages in and I am starting to lose interest. I haven't read much of it the past two days. Eve is the only character I find interesting and she hasn't had much of a part in it. Everyone else is starting to get boring lol.

« previous 1 3 4