Horror Aficionados discussion

The Travelling Grave and Other Stories
New Releases > The Travelling Grave and Other Stories (1948) by L.P. Hartley

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Valancourt Books (valancourt_books) | 253 comments Now available! Though best known for his classic novel of Edwardian childhood The Go-Between, L. P. Hartley was also a master of supernatural and macabre fiction, the best of which is collected in The Travelling Grave and Other Stories .

This volume demonstrates Hartley’s versatility, ranging from traditional ghost stories like ‘Feet Foremost’ and ‘The Cotillon’ to the wickedly black humour of the horror masterpieces ‘The Travelling Grave’ and ‘The Killing Bottle’. Originally published in 1948 and long out of print, this collection features twelve of Hartley’s finest tales, presented in this edition with a new introduction by John Howard.

description

Now available:

Hardcover
Website | Amazon US | Amazon UK
Paperback
eBook

message 2: by Neutrino (new)

Neutrino Increasing | 9 comments Like I wrote on another board, L.P. Hartley is remarkably underrated as a horror writer and I am glad to see this collection back in print. Some of his best stories read like proto-Aickman, sometimes written decades before Robert Aickman started his weird fiction output.
He wrote quite a bit more weird fiction that was collected in that Arkham House collection, so I hope that you guys will look into collecting it and getting it back in print too (it is scattered trough a bunch of his "mixed" collection and various anthologies & magazines).

Valancourt Books (valancourt_books) | 253 comments Neutrino wrote: "Like I wrote on another board, L.P. Hartley is remarkably underrated as a horror writer and I am glad to see this collection back in print. Some of his best stories read like proto-A..."

We'd like to do more if they're available and this one does well enough. It took about five years to get the rights.

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 5731 comments Mod
Planning on reading TRAVELING GRAVES this month!!