Valancourt Books discussion

The Travelling Grave and Other Stories
New Releases > The Travelling Grave and Other Stories (1948) by L.P. Hartley

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Valancourt Books (valancourt_books) | 806 comments Mod
Now available! Though best known for his classic novel of Edwardian childhood The Go-Between, L. P. Hartley was also a master of supernatural and macabre fiction, the best of which is collected in The Travelling Grave and Other Stories .

This volume demonstrates Hartley’s versatility, ranging from traditional ghost stories like ‘Feet Foremost’ and ‘The Cotillon’ to the wickedly black humour of the horror masterpieces ‘The Travelling Grave’ and ‘The Killing Bottle’. Originally published in 1948 and long out of print, this collection features twelve of Hartley’s finest tales, presented in this edition with a new introduction by John Howard.

description

Now available:

Hardcover
Website | Amazon US | Amazon UK
Paperback
eBook

message 2: by Nancy (new) - added it

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 289 comments Look what you made me do -- I just bought it. I have no control any more.

Nancy wrote: "Look what you made me do -- I just bought it. I have no control any more."

Last night I found a bunch of Faber books I didn't know existed and, well.... it's not our fault!

message 4: by Nancy (new) - added it

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 289 comments Valancourt Books wrote: "Nancy wrote: "Look what you made me do -- I just bought it. I have no control any more."

Last night I found a bunch of Faber books I didn't know existed and, well.... it's not our fault!"

Oh, please share and then I can detest myself even more. :)

Sit down before we begin.

It all started yesterday when I found a copy of Palace of the Peacock which contained a blurb about their Caribbean Series edited by Caryl Phillips (I didn't know they had a series...):

"The aim of this series is to publish the finest works being produced in the Caribbean in the four major languages of the region: English, French, Spanish, and Dutch. It contains original work, including classic texts, much of which is published for the first time in English."

Here's a search on AbeBooks: https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sear...

And then I found these three by Faber: Salt, The Schoomaster and The Dragon Can't Dance
Salt by Earl Lovelace , The Schoolmaster by Earl Lovelace , The dragon can't dance by Earl Lovelace

It was a long night.

message 6: by Nancy (new) - added it

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 289 comments Valancourt Books wrote: "Sit down before we begin.

It all started yesterday when I found a copy of Palace of the Peacock which contained a blurb about their Caribbean Series edited by Caryl Phillips (I didn'..."

Luckily I was already sitting down. Those books look outstanding! Must have. Curse you, Valancourt!

Does your house look like mine with books in every conceivable spot you might put a book? I have my eye on my husband's office closet -- a walk in with three sides shelved ceiling to floor with nothing on the shelves but a box of printer paper. So far he refuses to yield.

It does but luckily we live in a very small house so we can only keep a fraction of what we buy. I donate a lot after I read it. I've been known to replace the cat's pillow with a pile of books, however. :)

You may be able to get away with hiding books in the box of printer paper and then slowly take over!

message 8: by Nancy (new) - added it

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 289 comments Valancourt Books wrote: "It does but luckily we live in a very small house so we can only keep a fraction of what we buy. I donate a lot after I read it. I've been known to replace the cat's pillow with a pile of books, ho..."

I never thought of that! Thanks!!

LOL

message 9: by Nancy (new) - added it

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 289 comments My book got here yesterday -- thanks again!

on another, entirely unrelated matter, I don't know if you're aware, but Valancourt was mentioned in the introduction to Louis James' Fiction for the Working Man 1830-50 (the newest edition, 2017, xxiv); it's also mentioned on the back cover.

I know, I read strange stuff.

Nancy wrote: "My book got here yesterday -- thanks again!

on another, entirely unrelated matter, I don't know if you're aware, but Valancourt was mentioned in the introduction to Louis James' [book:Fiction for ..."

Oh, how neat! I hadn't seen that so thanks!

message 11: by Nancy (new) - added it

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 289 comments You're welcome.