Play Book Tag discussion

Democracy: Stories from the Long Road to Freedom
This topic is about Democracy
October 2017: Society > Democracy by Condoleezza Rice - 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Anita Pomerantz | 6249 comments This book strikes you as one that you might read in a history class on the evolution of democracy. Meaning it is a tad dry. On the flip side, it is a wonderful synopsis of how democracy emerges in the real world. Hint: It's pretty messy. It also illustrates how the U.S. has helped paved the way and how well the efforts to support democracy has worked. Ms. Rice goes country by country, including Iraq, Russia, Poland, and Columbia, and it's fascinating to read about the different challenges each country faced and the ultimate outcomes.

This book politically neutral until the very last chapter (which is still mild). You can tell Ms. Rice is an incredible professor. She certainly supports the idea that the U.S. needs to assist these emerging democracies, but she doesn't hit you over the head with her own biases, but rather shares stories that gently lead the reader to their own conclusion.

This book is very accessible to the mainstream reader, and I would absolutely recommend it. I only give it three stars because I fear readers may find it dry, but it is clearly and concisely presented.

message 2: by Anita (last edited Oct 03, 2017 04:03AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anita Pomerantz | 6249 comments P.S. I saw Condoleezza Rice speak at the National Book Festival which is what got me to read this book. What an impressive person she is . . .

P.P.S I finished this last month so not counting it for my "society" book, but reviewing it here because it definitely fits the tag. One month early, sigh.

message 3: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5529 comments She's a remarkable woman!

Anita Pomerantz | 6249 comments Book Concierge wrote: "She's a remarkable woman!"

She really is so impressive, thoughtful, and smart . . .I wish she would run for president. I think she'd be amazing. She indicated that she has no interest in it though . . .

She received a huge standing ovation at the Book Festival.

message 5: by Diane (new)

Diane Zwang | 485 comments Anita wrote: "Book Concierge wrote: "She's a remarkable woman!"

She really is so impressive, thoughtful, and smart . . .I wish she would run for president. I think she'd be amazing. She indicated that she has n..."

That is exciting. I was always impressed when I saw her speak.