Victorians! discussion

The Woman in White
This topic is about The Woman in White
Archived Group Reads - 2017 > The Woman in White: Reading Schedule

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cindy, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cindy Newton | 423 comments Mod
Week 1: October 15-21: Ch. I-XI (from "The Story by Walter Hartright)
Week 2: October 22-28: Ch. XII-Ch III (through The End of Mr. Gilmore's Narrative)
Week 3: October 29-November 4: Ch. I-III (into The Second Epoch by Marian Holcombe)
Week 4: November 5-11: Ch. IV-VIII
Week 5: November 12-18: Ch. IX-II (through the end of The Story by Eliza Michelson
Week 6: November 19-25: The Story in Several Narratives-Ch. VII (of Story Continued by Walter Hartright)
Week 7: November 26-December 2: Ch. VIII-Ch. II (Back to Walter)
Week 8: December 3-9: Ch. III through end of book

The organization of this novel makes it somewhat difficult to break into sections, so I hope this makes sense.

message 2: by Renee, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Renee M | 1979 comments Mod
Thanks, Cindy!
I know Collins loves to use multiple narrators. This looks to be no exception. Which can be great. I loved the convention in Moonstone and No Name. :)

message 3: by Renee, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Renee M | 1979 comments Mod
Thanks, Cindy!
I know Collins loves to use multiple narrators. This looks to be no exception. Which can be great. I loved the convention in Moonstone and No Name. :)

Hilary (agapoyesoun) | 188 comments I love this book. It's a little too soon to reread, but it was my first of two by Collins, the other being The Moonstone. No Name remains virgin territory for me, Renee.
Thanks Cindy. I hope you enjoy!

message 5: by Piyangie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Piyangie | 828 comments Mod
I have already started reading. This is my first Collins experience and loving it. Looking forward to the discussion.

Deborah (deborahkliegl) | 922 comments This book was the first Collins I read. You are in for a treat. I reread it no long ago so I won't be reading along. It's the book that made me love this author.

message 7: by Charlotte (new) - added it

Charlotte (charlottecph) | 271 comments I am also looking forward to reading this with you. It seems like just the right book to follow The Tenant of Wildfell Hall (a new, fresh style). I haven’t read Collins before.

Sarah (sarahbethie) | 8 comments It’s my first title by the author and a welcome change after all the Russian literature I’ve been reading.

message 9: by Cindy, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

My first one by Collins was Armadale, which is not as well known, but I was smitten. I loved The Woman in White, as well. I'm so looking forward to a great reading experience with all of you!

Shelley (omegaxx) I just started last night and am enjoying Collins' prose. It's a bit long-winded (and what Victorian prose isn't =P), but still maintains a nice light "bounce" and flows off the (mind's) tongue rather well. "Dickens Lite" comes to mind!

Piyumi | 22 comments This too was my first Collins and then went on to Moonstone, which was another good read.
Loved The Woman in White and the technique of using multiple narrators. Collins background as a Lawyer is well utilized in his writing and he does it so well.
I'm an avid reader of Mystery and Detective novels, and Collins is known as the pioneer in modern English detective novel, it was a treat to read both.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

My first Collins, glad to take him on and am enjoying the book. Adds extra dimensions that he was such a pioneer, thanks for illuminating this everyone!

message 13: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer DuBose (jenndubose) | 1 comments My copy is on the way! This seems like the perfect cold weather book. While looking on Amazon I saw The Moonstone and became interested in that. I also see that a lot of folks here liked The Moonstone. Perhaps I will give that a read after this!

message 14: by Cindy, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jennifer wrote: "My copy is on the way! This seems like the perfect cold weather book. While looking on Amazon I saw The Moonstone and became interested in that. I also see that a lot of folks here liked The Moonst..."

So glad you're able to join us for this read, Miss Jennifer! I haven't read The Moonstone yet either but am looking forward to it as I am a big Collins fan. I can't wait to read your thoughts on this book, which I love!