Book Snails Book Group discussion

Helter Skelter: The True Story of the Manson Murders
This topic is about Helter Skelter
ARCHIVED > Fall 2017 Quarterly Read: "Helter Skelter: The True Story of the Manson Murders" by Vincent Bugliosi & Curt Gentry

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new) - added it

biblio • bliss (bookgirl1987) | 1152 comments Mod
Alright guys...you voted for our Fall 2017 Quarterly read and here it is, with 5 votes (26.3%) we'll be reading...
Helter Skelter: The True Story of the Manson Murders
Helter Skelter The True Story of the Manson Murders by Vincent Bugliosi

Just in time for Halloween...TRUTH IS STRANGER THAN FICTION, indeed!
Enjoy this true crime selection ;-)

message 2: by Pien (new)

Pien | 478 comments This story is freaking me out without knowing all the details - and I’m planning to keep it that way! ;-) I will read scary fiction though! To everyone reading this book: wow! Good luck!! :-)

Kelsey Awesome! I've been wanting to read this for a long time. I'm hoping to get around to it later this month.

message 4: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new) - added it

Pien wrote: "This story is freaking me out without knowing all the details - and I’m planning to keep it that way! ;-) I will read scary fiction though! To everyone reading this book: wow! Good luck!! :-)"

Right! Lol

message 5: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new) - added it

Kelsey wrote: "Awesome! I've been wanting to read this for a long time. I'm hoping to get around to it later this month."

Let us know how it goes! I think I'll sit this one out for now.

message 6: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (last edited Oct 05, 2017 09:10AM) (new) - added it

Guys, I don't think I can stomach this one right now...with all the violence in the real world, I'm sticking to fiction for the time being :-( but I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the book. Shall I set up a discussion for this one? Show of hands who's reading please!

Kelsey Allison wrote: "Guys, I don't think I can stomach this one right now...with all the violence in the real world, I'm sticking to fiction for the time being :-( but I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the boo..."

I understand Allison! I basically have to force myself to go on such sites as Yahoo nowadays, because I just know there will be a new headline naming some disaster :(

I definitely plan on reading this, though, (but probably not this month), so count me in :)

message 8: by Ev, Crazy Book Lady (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ev | 197 comments Mod
I will admit, I have been reading the first part looking over my shoulder, but it does get a little less creepier once the author starts focusing on the investigation and trials. There are truly sick people in the world, and this book is a description of some of them, the Manson Family.

Kelsey Just requested this from my local library system, so I should be starting it in a few days!

message 10: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new) - added it

I have a copy!

Kelsey Only a quarter of the way into it, but I'm really enjoying it so far. I'm a true crime buff, but there's so many little details about this crime that I've never heard before.

To everyone else reading it, how are you liking it so far? :)

message 12: by StarMan, Co-Mod Space Snail (last edited Nov 15, 2017 07:21PM) (new)

StarMan (thestarman) | 1851 comments Mod
I haven't got a copy yet, but I did read another of the author's true crime books, And the Sea Will Tell. It was pretty good, if you like books with combo crime/mystery + some courtroom stuff. It's basically a whodunit tale... on a tropical isle.

message 13: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new) - added it

I looked through this book the other night...looks so interesting! Charles Manson died a day or two after I pulled out the book and started looking through it. I want to read it just to get a better sense of the power this madman had over the Family members...INSANE! To those who are reading and enjoying it...I'm so happy you're liking it! I hope I manage it this time around.

message 14: by Kelsey (last edited Nov 21, 2017 01:14PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kelsey Allison wrote: "I looked through this book the other night...looks so interesting! Charles Manson died a day or two after I pulled out the book and started looking through it. I want to read it just to get a bette..."

It is! I read 156 pages yesterday, and always have trouble putting it down.

I'm actually in awe about how many little details there were to the murders and the Family that I never heard or read about. I think most of us just think, "Charlie Manson was a sicko and commanded his followers to kill people," but it's so much more than that.

There are some pretty disgusting things in there, almost all of them emanating from Susan Atkins, but still, I'm engrossed with the novel. So far, a definite 5 star read for me!