You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Closed Discussion Topic > Team Two: The League of Extraordinary Bookworms

Comments Showing 1-50 of 366 (366 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

message 1: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2623 comments Team Two members report in here.

message 2: by Delitealex (new)

Delitealex | 336 comments Checking in

message 3: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2623 comments We will need a team name, and a scorekeeper. I hope we have someone who can do a spreadsheet. We will probably want to try to strategize to cover one or more sets. So far, I have found books for one or two characters in each of the four sets, but there is no particular set I want to aim for. I can probably read three or four books. Some topplers I have read five, but that is iffy. Does anyone out there have any strong feelings about which set we should start with?

message 4: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19985 comments Hi Casceil - nice to be teammates again.

I'm pretty sure I can do 3 or 4 books, maybe more. I have a couple of Romance books by Nicholas Sparks and a couple of stories told from a dog's POV that I have wanted to read for some time. I have a western/mystery with a guy on the cover holding a rifle too. Then, there are always Star Trek books waiting on my book shelf and Nook. I'm still culling my shorter books to see what will match the criteria. I think I have some Agatha Christie Mysteries too.

I can't think of anything for a team name suggestion at the moment. My granddaughter suggested "The League of Bookworms". LOL!

message 5: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 6011 comments I'm trying to think of "two's". In the superhero world. All I can think of is the dynamic duo which was a name for Batman and Robin. Putting a superhero name with a toppler team though I don't know I tend to leave that to the more creative

message 6: by Margo (new)

Margo | 9775 comments I think thats a great name Cherie!

Like Cherie I can commit at least 3 or 4, maybe more if they're shorties! I have options for all but one of 2nd set. The others would be more patchy.

I would make a lousy score keeper due to my dyslexia. Not sure how to go about planing as this is my first toppler so I await further instructions ;-)

message 7: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 6011 comments I'm fine with the league of bookworms as well

message 8: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17068 comments Checking in as well. What a great team!

You could add a extraordinary to tie in with the Superhero theme. "The League of Extraordinary Bookworms"

message 9: by Rusalka, Moderator (last edited Oct 03, 2017 04:37AM) (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17068 comments Oh and I can probably do 3 books, maybe 4 if the stars align right. I'll commit to two and hope I surprise everyone!

message 10: by Margo (new)

Margo | 9775 comments Rusalka wrote: "Checking in as well. What a great team!

You could add a extraordinary to tie in with the Superhero theme. "The League of Extraordinary Bookworms""

Oh now that's super cool B-)

message 11: by Lanelle (last edited Oct 03, 2017 06:03AM) (new)

Lanelle | 3110 comments I'm checking in. We'll be a great team!

I actually like Dynamic Duos because it uses our team number.

Like Casceil, I have found 2 or 3 books for each character in the 4 sets. I would be willing to read all of one set while the team works on the other three. And then I would help finish off those sets.

Is anyone volunteering to be our Captain? And take charge of the spreadsheet?

message 12: by Margo (new)

Margo | 9775 comments I could do any 4 from the 2nd set EXCEPT Green Lantern - Book cover has a ring or other piece of jewelry on it. It's weird - I thought that one would be easy :-/

I'd say I'd eventually find something if I had to.

message 13: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 6011 comments I haven't gophered. My audible library disappeared yesterday. I've gotten it back. It happens.

message 14: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2623 comments I like "the League of Extraordinary Bookworms." I also thought of Dynamic Duo, but rejected it because it sounds like there are only two of us.

It looks like seven of us have checked in. That's everyone but Roz, Emily and Valerie. So far, so good.

A couple of people have expressed a preference for the second set, the Justice League. What I have for that set is something with water on the cover and a 187 p. book for Flash. Do military dog tags count as jewelry? If so, there is a daily deal today on a 200 page book that fits, Wyatt's War

message 15: by Lanelle (last edited Oct 03, 2017 02:30PM) (new)

Lanelle | 3110 comments Casceil, do you want to go ahead and be the captain? You've got a good start on it already :)

message 16: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2623 comments I'm willing to be the captain. I don't know how to do the fancy graphics Almeta does, but I will be around all week, and my internet connection has been reasonably reliable since the last time the Cox people came out to look at it.

message 17: by Delitealex (new)

Delitealex | 336 comments I like the League of Extraordinary Bookworms.

I could probably read 3 books. I'll check to see what fits with the tasks

message 18: by Margo (new)

Margo | 9775 comments I might be getting ahead of myself but I can any 3 or 4 of these:

1st set: 1
Wolverine

2nd set:
Superman
* Wonder Woman
*Batman
*Aquaman
*Flash
*Cyborg

3nd Set: 4
Captain America
Iron Man
Thor
Hulk

4th set: 1
Harley Quinn

message 19: by Margo (new)

Margo | 9775 comments Casceil wrote: "I'm willing to be the captain. I don't know how to do the fancy graphics Almeta does, but I will be around all week, and my internet connection has been reasonably reliable since the last time the ..."

Oh Captain, my Captain Casceil :-)

message 20: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2623 comments Does anyone in this group know how to do spreadsheets?

I have found a book for jewelry, so we should be able to complete Justice League if we plan for it. Several of us have books for Flash. Margo says she can do any four except jewelry. What do other people have for Justice League?

message 21: by Delitealex (new)

Delitealex | 336 comments I have books for wonder woman

message 22: by Delitealex (new)

Delitealex | 336 comments For avengers
Captain America
Thor
Hulk

Xmen
Rogue

Suicide squad
Deadshot
El diablo

message 23: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3110 comments I think the hardest part of this Toppler will be to organize our reading so that we complete the sets as many times as possible.

message 24: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13591 comments Love your team name!

message 25: by Cherie (last edited Oct 03, 2017 05:47PM) (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19985 comments Margo wrote: "I could do any 4 from the 2nd set EXCEPT Green Lantern - Book cover has a ring or other piece of jewelry on it. It's weird - I thought that one would be easy :-/

I'd say I'd eventually find someth..."

Have you read The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold ? It would fit. Also Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier .

message 26: by Cherie (last edited Oct 03, 2017 06:05PM) (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19985 comments I have a book with water on it, Water (Akasha, #1) by Terra Harmony for Aquaman. I also have two others that are slightly less pages, The Drowned Boy (Inspector Konrad Sejer, #11) by Karin Fossum and The Coroner's Lunch (Dr. Siri Paiboun, #1) by Colin Cotterill

message 27: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 228 comments Hi everyone! I can do a spreadsheet if you want- are we just wanting to put together something to make sure that we try and get as many of the sets as possible? That should be pretty doable. I'm going to get started gophering and see what I can find. I know I have two books checked out from the library that could work- The Unquiet Dead which has water on the cover and The Underground Railroad which takes place in the US. I will probably only have time to read 2 books this week, maybe 3 if they are short-ish.

message 28: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2623 comments I've got Green Lantern covered. Delitealex has books for Wonder Woman. Cherie has a book for Aquaman. That leaves Superman (classic), Batman (wealthy MC), Flash (based on length), and Cyborg (cyborg, robot or artificial intelligence). Anyone want to claim any of those? And which set should we try for after the Justice League?

message 29: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2623 comments Hi, Valerie. You must have posted while I was composing my last post. If you can do a spreadsheet, that would be wonderful. We want to keep track of how many and which books the team reads, with an eye to completing as many sets as we can. And, of course, the spreadsheet is a way to track points.

message 30: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 6011 comments I definitely can do the classic for Superman. Is cyborg one of the trickier ones. I looked earlier to what o had and nothing jumped out but I can look again although I kind of prefer space opera for sci-fi so I may not have a cyborg sci-fi book

message 31: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 6011 comments Well I don't own it but I would not be opposed to purchasing Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? 1 if no one else has a cyborg

message 32: by Delitealex (new)

Delitealex | 336 comments Casceil wrote: "I've got Green Lantern covered. Delitealex has books for Wonder Woman. Cherie has a book for Aquaman. That leaves Superman (classic), Batman (wealthy MC), Flash (based on length), and Cyborg (cybor..."

I think we should try for the avengers after justice league

message 33: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 228 comments I can do Cyborg if you'd prefer not to have to buy a book, Travis- I've been meaning to read Cinder forever. I could also do Flash with one of my many Agatha Christie books I've been wanting to read, though it seems like most of us would probably be able to find an option for that one. Then all we would need for Justice League is Batman- a book with a wealthy MC. Anyone have a book that would fit that criteria?

I'm making a little chart on my spreadsheet with who has said they could do which characters so we can see which ones only have one person who can take care of them. Lanelle, am I understanding you correctly that you are up for any of the characters and plan to read 7 books yourself??

So far it seems like X-men is the set we have the fewest options in, though if everyone wants to do a list like Delitealex and Margo did of their options, that would be fantastic. :)

message 34: by Cherie (last edited Oct 03, 2017 06:00PM) (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19985 comments I am willing to break down and get The Great Gatsby and take one for the team, if you think it fits. I do not have anything else that fits this theme. It is only 180 pages.

message 35: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19985 comments I have been through my book spreadsheet that I keep for the books that I own in hard copy and Nook/Kindle/Audible and marked everything under 300 pages. I have more books than I can read earmarked the toppler. It appears that we are trying to read books for the Justice League from the characters I see being applied. Is this correct?

I have 6 books that fit under Flash, but two that can also be Under Superman OR Flash. I have books that fit other "teams" as well as being applied to Flash. That is why I am trying to figure out what the goal is.

message 36: by Roz (last edited Oct 03, 2017 06:20PM) (new)

Roz | 3628 comments Sorry I'm late to the game, guys. Love the team name.
I did a bit of gophering and came up with a few that fit. I can do at least 2 and will try to push it higher especially if I can find an audiobook. I found:
The Housekeeper and the Professor (Professor Xavier or Katana),
Milkweed (Wolverine),
The Spy (Black Widow),
Rose in a Storm (Antman)
Annihilation (Hulk)

message 37: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 6011 comments I believe the plan is for each person to take one book for Justice League. Then we are in debate as to which task is the next best one to tackle and I'm sure as the toppler goes on there may be multiple tasks in a section done by the same person but in these early stages I think we're trying to use some teamwork to fully complete however many tasks we can divvy up equally first. I hope that all makes sense Cherie

message 38: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3110 comments Valerie wrote: "Lanelle, am I understanding you correctly that you are up for any of the characters and plan to read 7 books yourself?? "

Correct. I can probably read 8-10 (maybe more) books during the week. Should I just wait for someone to tell me which tasks need to be filled?

message 39: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17068 comments Look at you all! Flurry of activity!!

Thanks Valerie and Casceil for spreadsheeting and captaining. A lot gets done while I'm sleeping or at work in the morning, so I am always delayed. And we don't need fancy graphics to make us look good ;)

I will gopher tonight when I get home and get back to you. Back to boring real life spreadsheets.

message 40: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 6011 comments Actually just looking over the rules I see we don't have to do all the tasks we could just do the same task over and over and get 20 points Everytime it's done. So I don't actually know the game plan. Lol

message 41: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 6011 comments Currently I'm struggling a bit gophering but I have no fear my books I own will start to click into places for me. They always do. For now I'm not ready to list what I can or can't do. I will say I just don't seem to have a wealthy MC. I have looked for that one specifically.

message 42: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 228 comments Cherie, if you don't mind reading The Great Gatsby for Batman that would be great. I have The Great Gatsby myself and was considering reading it as a classic (would it count?) but I will probably only have time to read 2 books for sure.

Based on what people have said so far we actually might have enough to complete Justice League twice- do we get points for completing the same set more than once? Anyway, to complete the Justice League set once it looks like we tentatively have:

Superman- Travis
Wonder Woman- Delitealex
Batman- Cherie
Aquaman- Margo?
Flash- Really anyone at this point, this one's easy :)
Green Lantern- Casceil
Cyborg- Me

Does that sound good to everyone? Margo, do you mind reading your Aquaman book?

Based on the spreadsheet I've been putting together, next best options are to do either Justice League again if we get extra points for that or Avengers which we have mostly covered as well.

Lanelle, the only Avengers book that no one else has said they can take care of is Hawkeye, so if you could definitely do that one at least, that would be great! All the other Avengers characters have 2 or more people. We also haven't had anyone volunteer for Storm, Cyclops, Magneto, or Killer Croc.

Anyone have any preferences for which Avengers books they'd like to read?

message 43: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 6011 comments I think I have a magneto book but I'd need to double check that

message 44: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2623 comments Travis, I thought your message 37 summed up the plan well. We have ten readers (nine of whom have already checked in) and there are only 8 characters in each set, so starting another set makes sense. Another approach might be for everyone to pick which of their books they most want to read, and then we can sort those out to see which sets are best represented, and start looking for books to cover the missing pieces.

message 45: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 228 comments Casceil, that sounds like a great plan, everyone picking out the books they most want to read and going from there! The spreadsheet is helpful but I didn't want to "assign" books to people you know? We want it to still be fun :) Do you know if we get points for completing the same set twice?

message 46: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2623 comments We do get points for completing the same set twice.

message 47: by Roz (new)

Roz | 3628 comments The Ginseng Hunter is only 177 pages. I can do that for Flash.

message 48: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 2116 comments Checking in to the League!

I'm still gophering but I reckon I should have at least 3 books that qualify and that I can get through in the week.

message 49: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 6011 comments Trying to check tasks and my owned inventory using just my phone is beginning to really be a hassle. This toppler may be just the motivation to finally get the wifi fixed so I can use the computer. Really have needed a proper kick to get that fixed

message 50: by Margo (new)

Margo | 9775 comments Cherie wrote: "Margo wrote: "I could do any 4 from the 2nd set EXCEPT Green Lantern - Book cover has a ring or other piece of jewelry on it. It's weird - I thought that one would be easy :-/

I'd say I'd eventual..."

Oh, I want to read Girl with a Pearl Earring but it's only 144pg.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8