Reading Glasses - Fan Group discussion

Discussions by Genre > Horror Books

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by May (new)

May (missbrewbrew) | 2 comments Hello! I'm interested in reading horror BUT I'm easily frightened by horror films. I love spooky stuff. Except films. Horror video games and some of those well written creepy pastas are great. Like, even not-very-scary horror movies are too much.
So what are some horror books I can read to kinda dip my toes in? I've never really read horror before. I know Mallory and Brea have mentioned some but I don't want to sift through every mentioned book for horror ones.
Also, I've watched a few King film adaptations in part or in whole (Carrie, Cujo, and It), and that's not exactly what I'm looking for. I'm not sure what a good word for what I want is. But some horror video games I've enjoyed are Dead Space, Bioshock, Until Dawn, and Bloodborne. So that sort of atmosphere, I guess?

message 2: by Al (last edited Oct 11, 2017 08:08PM) (new)

Al | 1 comments ^^ Shirley Jackson! And maybe HP Lovecraft and Poe, but Jackson has some must-read stuff.

message 3: by Nick (new)

Nick Kowalchuk (nickknack) | 4 comments I wouldn't judge King's horror aesthetic by the film adaptations. Not saying the films aren't good, but they give off a different vibe. They are definitely a lot more visual jump scary, where as King is more about a slow unsettling build. But it definitely sounds like you'd enjoy Lovecraft, based on your interests. I'd also recommend The Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner. It's a really good gothic book that has a lot of political and moral themes underneath the spooky stuff, similar to Bioshock.

message 4: by Sarah (last edited Oct 13, 2017 08:58AM) (new)

Sarah | 17 comments The Little Stranger has sort of a gothic, slow-building creepiness, not too scary but very unsettling by the end. I loved it so much! Also, My Best Friend's Exorcism is not super scary and it's also a great friendship story.

message 5: by May (new)

May (missbrewbrew) | 2 comments Thanks, everyone! I'll look into these and hopefully read a few very soon!

message 6: by Jacob (new)

Jacob Haller | 10 comments I also have trouble watching horror movies! however, I recently read Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake recently and liked it a lot -- it's a sort of blend of horror, romance, and YA that worked well for me. I don't know if that's what you're looking for, but maybe it's worth a look if that sounds appealing. Let us know if you find something you like!

message 7: by Staci (new)

Staci (tiggagirl) | 1 comments May wrote: "Hello! I'm interested in reading horror BUT I'm easily frightened by horror films. I love spooky stuff. Except films. Horror video games and some of those well written creepy pastas are great. Like..."

Totally agree with Shirley Jackson! My favorite is We Have Always Lived in the Castle... also highly recommend The Yellow Wallpaper... short story by Charlotte Perkins Gilman (the audiobook version is also properly creepy)... and The Woman in Black by Susan Hill

message 8: by Peter (new)

Peter (little_caesar86) | 1 comments I would definitely second the recommendation of My best friend's exorcism, or any other of Grady Hendrix's horror novels. Horrorstor and Satan loves you are more of his that I have read and really enjoyed. He mixes comedy in with the horror so it doesn't get too heavy. He does write some superb horror moments though. My favourite horror author is Clive Barker, but his work isn't really something to 'dip your toe in'. He gets really graphic, but his imagination is unequalled. You could try some of his short stories from The books of blood to see if you like his style.

message 9: by Autumn (new)

Autumn (hoggman) | 2 comments Lovecraft is great, lots of unsettling but not outright terrifying stuff. Warning though, his stuff has a lot of casual racism, classism, ableism, and the like. Read only if you have a strong stomach for it. He was a eugenicist.
That said, I've heard that the extended cthulhu mythos has some great stuff and is better about that.

message 10: by Cameron (new)

Cameron | 1 comments  I have a question about Dracula. In chapter 18 in Dr. Sewards entry he, Van Helsing, Morris and Lord Godalming all went to see Renfield. In Chapter 19 Jon Harker mentions that "When WE came away from his room we were silent till we got back to the study." Is there an error or am I just missing something? Where was he?

message 11: by Marah (new)

Marah Archer (maraharcher804) | 6 comments Oh wow I love this question because Dracula is hands down one of my favorite books. I'm going to peruse and get back to you!

message 12: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Pollan (cpollan) | 1 comments I haven't read Dracula since I was in college, but I believe Renfield was in a local sanitarium (psychiatric hospital) that was near the manor house where the others were staying.

message 13: by Michael (new)

Michael Chappell (zata5665) | 2 comments Dr. Seward's house was the asylum where Renfield was staying, which was next door to the land that Dracula bought. So Renfield was on the ground floor and the study/bedrooms where everyone was staying was upstairs

message 14: by Nathaniel (new)

Nathaniel Darkish (njdarkish) | 4 comments I just barely finished reading A Lush and Seething Hell and cannot recommend it highly enough (especially the second of the two novellas in it). Outrageously good cosmic horror.

message 15: by Michael (new)

Michael Chappell (zata5665) | 2 comments I just realized I read Cameron's question wrong. You're asking about Harker not Renfield! My bad. I don't know, maybe Harker was already downstairs with Renfield?

message 16: by Alice (new)

Alice | 6 comments On the subject of Dracula . . . has anyone else read "Carmilla" (longish short story/shortish novella) by Sheridan Le Fanu? Although Dracula is a lifelong love, I just discovered Carmilla last year. It was published first, and seems to have served as source material for Dracula. But Carmilla is about a lesbian relationship, while Dracula is heteronormative--Bram Stoker seems to have used and expanded on the material in Carmilla, while taking all the lesbian parts out. I don't know . . . I still love Dracula (especially all the gorgeous romantic nature writing in it), but discovering Carmilla has changed the way I feel about the author a little bit.