Lori Z
Connie
Jennifer
Vicki
Jannene
Fee
Lynn

message 2: by Jannene (new)

Jannene | 2768 comments Thanks Janice! I am on my iPad and it wasn't working.

message 3: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48023 comments At least now you can start chatting and planning. I'm sorry you're having problems.

message 4: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13267 comments I was just jumping on to do this! Thanks, Janice. :) Maybe it was just an iPad issue, Jannene. It can be weird sometimes.

message 5: by Jannene (last edited Oct 02, 2017 06:27PM) (new)

Jannene | 2768 comments X-Men
Wolverine - Read a book in the historical fiction genre
Storm - Read a book where a natural disaster is central
Cyclops - MC requires glasses or is blind
Rogue - Read a romance
Beast - Read a fairytale retold
Professor Xavier - MC is a teacher or professor
Magnito - Read a book with an anti-hero

Justice League
Superman - Read a classic
Wonder Woman - Read a book with a female MC who can kick butt
Batman - Read a book with a very wealthy MC, can be nonfiction about a very wealthy person
Aquaman - Book cover has water on it
Flash - Read a book that is more than 175 pages, but less than 250 pages
Green Lantern - Book cover has a ring or other piece of jewelry on it
Cyborg - Read a book with a cyborg, robot, or artificial intelligence

Avengers
Captain America - Book is set in the United States
Iron Man - MC is a scientist or science professor or is an inventor
Hawkeye - Read a book with the word arrow in the title or an arrow on the cover or where a character uses a bow and arrow
Black Widow - Read a book with espionage
Thor - Read a book with an alien
Hulk - Read a book in the science-fiction genre
Antman - Read a book with an animal MC or from an animal’s perspective

Suicide Squad
Captain Boomerang - Read a book with a thief or where something is stolen
Deadshot - MC carries or uses a gun
Enchantress - Read a book with an archaeologist or where someone finds an artifact or there is an antique shop
Harley Quinn - Story involves a mental institution / insane asylum / hospital for the mentally ill
Katana - Read a book set in Japan or with a Japanese MC or author
Killer Croc - Read a book that takes place on or under the water (Near water, such as on a beach, does not count)
El Diablo - Book cover that has fire on it

message 6: by Lori Z (new)

Lori Z | 1818 comments Thanks Janice! I was just getting ready to set up our thread and saw you beat me to it, lol.

message 7: by Jannene (last edited Oct 10, 2017 06:52PM) (new)

Jannene | 2768 comments We need a team captain and keeper of the spreadsheet.
Team name suggestions?

Books that I have that can fill slots. I try for three but typically do more. I will be on vacation part of that time.

**Edited to bold the books committed, others if time.**

✔️Wonder Woman or Dead Shot or Aquaman - The Girl In The Ice
✔️Captain Bommerang or Wolverine - SPQR I: The King's Gambit
✔️Captain Boomerang Deadshot or El Diablo - The Godwulf Manuscript (Spenser, #1) by Robert B. Parker
✔️Harley Quinn or Captain America or Captain Boomerang - The Lion, the Lamb, the Hunted book was based in Texas
✔️Green Lantern: Keeper of the Bride

El Diablo: Jeopardy in July
El Diablo or Wolverine: Pompeii: City on Fire
Aquaman: Blood Island
Captain Boomerang or Black Widow: Exit Strategy

message 8: by Lori Z (new)

Lori Z | 1818 comments Hi fellow teammates!
The first thing that came to mind for a team name was SuperReaders. Its all I got so far.

I usually commit to at least 3 books, but try for more.

I'll start with:
Captain America: Murder Packs a Suitcase
Cyclops: The Lady in the Car with Glasses and a Gun
Storm: The Children's Blizzard

Depending on time:
Flash: Texas Lullaby
Rogue: Cowboy Dad
Hulk: The Accidental Time Machine

Looking forward to toppling with you all!

message 9: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Burton Hi everyone

I'm a very slow reader so I'm only going to be able to contribute 1 book Live to Tell by Lisa Gardener

message 10: by Carol (last edited Oct 03, 2017 06:08AM) (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 401 comments I will commit to 2 books, 1 will definitely be Katana, and will do my best to get in a 3rd if the fates smile on me. Books I'm considering:

Divining Women by Kaye Gibbons (works for Captain America and Flash)
The Gourmet Club: A Sextet by Jun'ichirō Tanizaki (works for Katana and Flash)
The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea by Yukio Mishima by Yukio Mishima (works for Katana and Aquaman)
Embers by Sándor Márai (Flash)
The Madonna of Notre Dame by Alexis Ragougneau (Flash)
Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe (Superman)
Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton or Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote (both work for Captain America and Superman) (my editions have more than 175 pages, but finding them in the GR list will take some time)

message 11: by Vicki (new)

Vicki | 999 comments Hi teammates

I have two books I'll be reading for certain:
Superman- Flowers for Algernon
Magneto, Flash, or Antman?- Hide the Elephant

I'm still trying to gopher up some more

message 12: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Burton Lori that sounds like a great name!

message 13: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments Maud's Line is historical fiction.
Can also read a classic

message 14: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 2596 comments Hello All

I will commit to three books at the moment (but will try to do more) and from my month's tbr I can easily do the following tasks:
Katana - Read a book set in Japan or with a Japanese MC or author
Antman - Read a book with an animal MC or from an animal’s perspective
Rogue - Read a romance 
Hulk - Read a book in the science-fiction genre 
Wolverine - Read a book in the historical fiction genre
Beast - Read a fairytale retold
Batman - Read a book with a very wealthy MC
Flash - Read a book that is more than 175 pages, but less than 250 pages 
Captain America - Book is set in the United States

The top one (Katana) I would like to definitely be put down for, but otherwise I'm happy to be directed to whatever task is best for the team

message 15: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 2596 comments Lori Z wrote: "The first thing that came to mind for a team name was SuperReaders. Its all I got so far. ."

I like it, the only other thing that comes to mind at the moment is Triple Threat.

message 16: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18170 comments Hi teamies. Good to see you're getting started with planning etc.

I like the name SuperReaders. Can our tag line be "Book addicts and proud"?! (Borrowing and adapting a line from xmen there).

I am away the first weekend friday to sunday. I will still be reading, just not online.

I cannot commit to doing any organising or team captaining this time around as my head isn't exactly with it this week what with what's happened. So if we could have a volunteer for team captain, one for spreadsheet that would be fab. Any takers?

I have done some gophering. Most of my books fit for the Hulk task. I don't know what I'm going to feel like reading yet so if I could have that task it would give me plenty of flexibility. Not sure how many books I'll get read. Perhaps I can read more than the 1 but I don't know yet. I might just have to fill in the gaps. Sorry I cannot be of more help.

message 17: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Hi Team 3!

I like "SuperReaders" as a team name too.

I will commit to two books, but I might be able to squeeze in a third depending on how things go.

My options are:

Wolverine - The Horseman or The Gustav Sonata
Rogue - When a Scot Ties the Knot
Aquaman - Beside The Ocean of Time
Flash - The Bird Tribunal
Captain America - Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe

message 18: by Vicki (new)

Vicki | 999 comments Well if no one else is so inclined, I can make a spreadsheet and keep score. It won't be the prettiest spreadsheet but it will be serviceable.

Also SuperReaders sounds good to me too!

message 19: by Lisa (last edited Oct 03, 2017 10:36AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Vicki wrote: "Well if no one else is so inclined, I can make a spreadsheet and keep score. It won't be the prettiest spreadsheet but it will be serviceable.

Also SuperReaders sounds good to me too!"

It would be great if you could do the spreadsheet, Vicki. Thanks for offering :)

message 20: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18170 comments That would be awesome Vicki. Thank you. It doesn't need to be pretty. It just needs to have all the tasks listed down one side, team members across the top (or the other way around) and then we can mark off which person is allocated which task. Once read, the points can be added. Don't forget we gain bonus points when a whole section is completed too so. Once you've compiled it, if you post a link in the thread we can then all access it to ensure we're down for the right tasks etc.

message 21: by Jannene (new)

Jannene | 2768 comments Vicki wrote: "Well if no one else is so inclined, I can make a spreadsheet and keep score. It won't be the prettiest spreadsheet but it will be serviceable.

Also SuperReaders sounds good to me too!"

Thanks Vicki! Normally Sarah or I volunteer but it sounds like we both are tied up. Could I make a request that we get a link to it? Some of us (me) have OCD tendencies and look at it to see what is left to cover. A few of mine can fall into two categories.

message 22: by Jannene (new)

Jannene | 2768 comments Sarah wrote: "That would be awesome Vicki. Thank you. It doesn't need to be pretty. It just needs to have all the tasks listed down one side, team members across the top (or the other way around) and then we can..."

Looks like you are stuck with me again! I think that is three times now. Every time I sign up for the week long toppler.

message 23: by Lori Z (new)

Lori Z | 1818 comments Thanks Vicki, for volunteering as scorekeeper!

message 24: by Vicki (new)

Vicki | 999 comments Here is the Spreadsheet

So far I've put an x for all the possibilities people have mentioned for each book into one column to easier see the groupings but it looks like way more books than we've actually selected.

We can definitely trim some Flash, Superman and Captain America to their other possibilities.

Can anyone's Hulk books be turned into Cyborg or Iron Man?

I'll try to put x's into everyone's column for their picks

message 25: by Lori Z (new)

Lori Z | 1818 comments My Hulk book, The Accidental Time Machine may work for Iron Man. It sounds like the MC becomes an "accidental" inventor. I could double check with Kristie, and if she approves we can switch it.

message 26: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Burton The book I have planned is under Harley Quinn. Just wondering the could someone tell me if Lisa Gardener's Live To Tell would fit in that category? One of the main characters work in a pediatric mental facility but it's not the main plot. Does that count or does it have to take place in the whole book?

message 27: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18170 comments I know we were on the same team last time Jannene but couldn't remember about the time before.

Thanks for the spreadsheet Vicki. Looks great.

I am planning on reading The Forever War first I think. It fits for Hulk for sure. It might fit for Thor too as it mentions alien race but I'm not sure if we get to see any of them yet until I start reading. It could also work for Deadshot as it's a military book and he's bound to have a gun of some kind. But again I won't know until I start it.

If I finish that one, I have some other options too from the following:
Madness - Superman, Harley Quinn ? (256pg)
Cobweb Bride - Rogue (293pg)
The Left Hand of Darkness - Hulk (304pg)
Sarah's Key - Wolverine (305pg)
Flowers for Algernon - Superman, Hulk (311pg)
The Last Colony - Hulk (320pg)
The Magician's Lie - Wolverine (320pg)
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - Harley Quinn (325pg)
Ship Breaker - Hulk (326pg)
The Quantum Thief - Hulk (336pg)
The Golden Man - Hulk (336pg)
Three Parts Dead - Wonder Woman (336pg)
The Far Time Incident - Prof X, Iron Man (342pg)
Dark Matter - Hulk (342pg)

Sorry I cannot be clearer on how many I will read and what I can commit to now. As much as I want to get involved and take up a number of tasks, I don't want to put any undue pressure on myself.

message 28: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18170 comments @Jennifer - best to ask in the main thread if Kristie thinks it will work. I'm guessing it needs to be the main setting. Something like One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

message 29: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments The spreadsheet looks great, Vicki!

I will probably start with The Bird Tribunal (Flash) or When a Scot Ties the Knot (Rogue).

message 30: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 2596 comments I will definitely be reading for the category Katana - Read a book set in Japan or with a Japanese MC or author

As I'm the only one down for Batman - Read a book with a very wealthy MC, I will definitely read that one too.

Vicki - I notice that Prof X doesn't have someone down for it. It wasn't in my original list but put me down for it as I've found a book that I can read.

Those 3 I'll guarantee to read and then get back to you if I find I have time for more

message 31: by Vicki (last edited Oct 04, 2017 10:54AM) (new)

Vicki | 999 comments These are my more definite picks

Pretty sure i will get these 3:
Magneto: Hide the Elephant
Black Widow: The Alice Network
Beast: The True Story of Hansel and Gretel -audio

If I still have time:
Cyborg: The Clockwork Dynasty
Superman or maybe Antman: Flowers for Algernon
Ironman: How to Tell Toledo from the Night Sky-audio (i'm still trying to find something shorter though)

message 32: by Ava Catherine (last edited Oct 04, 2017 09:41AM) (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments I can read Curses! for Enchantress.

SuperReaders is a fabulous name!

message 33: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Burton I'm going to read Live to Tell (Detective D.D. Warren, #4) by Lisa Gardner for the Harley Quinn task

message 34: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments I have found a book for Hawkeye: Robin: Lady of Legend

message 35: by Vicki (new)

Vicki | 999 comments I just found a great looking book that will work for either Wolverine, Cyborg, Hulk, Ironman, Enchantress... maybe more?

The Clockwork Dynasty by Daniel H. Wilson The Clockwork Dynasty

message 36: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18170 comments Don't forget that a book can only be counted for one task. But it's great the book can fit so many tasks as it can be moved around to maximise points if needed.

message 37: by Vicki (new)

Vicki | 999 comments Yup. I think I will try to squeeze it in for Cyborg.

So far the only category that has never been mentioned by anyone in Killer Croc. X-men should be completed once with a few peoples first pic books. We can complete the same groups more than once I believe.

message 38: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18170 comments Yes we can complete the same sections more than once and we don't need to cover all of the sections if we don't want to.

message 39: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18170 comments We have another team member just added. Welcome Annerlee! Good to have you on our team.

message 40: by Annerlee (new)

Annerlee | 2699 comments Hi folks. Looks like I'm on the best team!
Looking at the spreadsheet, it seems we're missing Thor (alien) and killer croc (water), so I'll pick up those 2 if you like. I may read more, but not promising just now.

message 41: by Annerlee (new)

Annerlee | 2699 comments Unless there are other categories to pick up. ?

message 42: by Fee (new)

Fee | 232 comments Hallo SuperReaders,

you already mentioned so many interesting books. I still need some time to choose my books but i plan on reading two or three. Very excited for the toppler. :-)

message 43: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Welcome, Annerlee!

Hi Fee! Good to have you on our team. Looking forward to seeing what books you choose.

message 44: by Vicki (new)

Vicki | 999 comments Awesome, I've added you to the spreadsheet.

If you're looking at the spreadsheet I put a large X for the books people think are certain and little x's for all the other books we want to read if we get to them. But we've all mentioned more books than we can read in a week so no one should count on those little x's.

message 45: by Ava Catherine (last edited Oct 04, 2017 01:12PM) (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments Connie (Ava Catherine) wrote: "I have found a book for Hawkeye: Robin: Lady of Legend"

You can count on me for this book (post 34) and the book in post 32, too.

message 46: by Jannene (new)

Jannene | 2768 comments Edited message 7 with the book commitments. A few fit into two categories so we can fill where needed. I am driving 6-8 hours to our vacation site (then back) so I am depending on my audiobooks.

message 47: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Burton I can also read a book for Deadshot

message 48: by Lori Z (new)

Lori Z | 1818 comments So Kristie approved my Hulk book of The Accidental Time Machine can be used for Iron Man, so if that's where its needed we can use it.
I also have a book for Killer Croc and could drop Flash, if needed, however, I don't know if I'll get it read. Guess we'll see how the week goes. Fingers crossed.

message 49: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18170 comments So do we have any sections looking like they will be completed at this stage? We should perhaps focus on that one first.

message 50: by Ava Catherine (last edited Oct 05, 2017 11:06AM) (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments I can read a book for Killer Croc (takes place on water): The Voyage by Philip Caputo.

« previous 1 3 4 5