Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

A Morbid Taste for Bones (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #1)
This topic is about A Morbid Taste for Bones
Archive - Group Reads > Morbid Taste for Bones, A - October 2017

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chava (new)

Chava | 2788 comments This is the discussion thread for A morbid taste for bones. Your moderator is Paul

Betsy | 9141 comments The first in the wonderful Brother Cadfael series. I read this many years ago, and although not my favorite, it does give Cadfael a good introduction.

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 45 comments Excellent, I hope everyone enjoys this. And I hope I do too, i'd better get reading it.

Check in if you're reading this, planning on reading it, or with first impressions.

Please mark spoilers, of course; we don't call 'em 'whodunnits' for nothing....

message 4: by Kathleen (new) - added it

Kathleen Daly | 142 comments Il be reading it. I was always a fan of the show here in the U. S. I tried The Fourth Monkey earlier last Mosander found to violent and switched my vote to this So yea Paul for the suggestion.

message 5: by Mackey (new)

Mackey (mackeylee) I actually had this downloaded for another group so I'm in!

Tonya Mathis | 74 comments I've read and watched the series. I own both. I'm in.

message 7: by Icewineanne, Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Icewineanne | 654 comments Mod
I loved the tv series but just couldn't get into this book so i never continued reading. Perhaps i should try again with the group.

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 45 comments Tonya wrote: "I've read and watched the series. I own both. I'm in."

I had completely forgotten about the TV series. With the great Derek Jacobi! And a quick search reveals that it is on youtube...

message 9: by Icewineanne, Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Paul wrote: "Tonya wrote: "I've read and watched the series. I own both. I'm in."

I had completely forgotten about the TV series. With the great Derek Jacobi! And a quick search reveals that it is on youtube..."

Paul, so glad you mentioned that it's available on youtube. It's been years since I've seen it.........I'm going to watch it again!

message 10: by Lisa (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa Sorey | 16 comments I've not yet read this author. I'm always happy to try something new. And I had no idea the books had been made into television shows! Thanks for exposing me to new things!

message 11: by Ninna (new) - added it

Ninna | 32 comments I've never read a Cadfael book yet but it's been on my list! I will join you guys on this one. Fun to know about the TV series...I may check that out too.

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 45 comments I finished yesterday, and will write a full review (if I can find time) in due course.

For those yet to start, or just begun, I did find it a slow start - quite old-fashionedly wordy and descriptive, but quite well enough written (in both prose and character) to keep me engaged - although don't expect instant action or a bad guy stepping through the door with a gun (or a disgruntled villein with a pitchfork, for that matter).

However, I did find it a very well written novel (it was well into the author's career) and a well constructed mystery, with excellent texture from the setting.

I look forward to reading others' takes, and discussing finer detail.

message 13: by Mackey (new)

Mackey (mackeylee) Paul wrote: "I finished yesterday, and will write a full review (if I can find time) in due course.

For those yet to start, or just begun, I did find it a slow start - quite old-fashionedly wordy and descript..."

Thanks Paul. I'm about 25% of the way through. Hopefully I'll finish soon. I received two new books today and I'm trying not to open them until I finish.

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 45 comments Mackey wrote: "I received two new books today and I'm trying not to open them until I finish. "

So many books, so little time...

Tonya Mathis | 74 comments I finished a couple days ago. Ellis Peters is one of my favorite authors. Susanna Gregory too, I enjoy monastic medieval mysteries. The time period, language, the '"town v/s gown" situations. The serene beauty of the church, hours and prayers that happen in the slow times between death and mayhem makes for an interesting contrast.

message 16: by Lisa (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa Sorey | 16 comments I'm 23% through the book. It is slow going. I've been struggling with whether or not to put it down or not.

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 1198 comments I know what you mean Lisa, I'm having the same trouble and I'm 20% into it.

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 45 comments Lisa wrote: "I'm 23% through the book. It is slow going. I've been struggling with whether or not to put it down or not."

I'd recommend sticking with it. While I wouldn't say that it speeds up, exactly, things do happen, but the plot itself does take some time to kick in.

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 1198 comments The book is quite good. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It does pick up it's pace.

message 20: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | -5 comments I've enjoyed several of these books as well as the tv series (which is probably what led me to the books). I recently decided to read through the whole series as I have only read a few here and there. I have the fourth book St. Peter's Fair ready to go. One thing I really like about goodreads is the ability to look up books in a long series and learn the correct order. I don't know why so many of these books don't have that on the inside or the cover.

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 45 comments Patricia wrote: " One thing I really like about goodreads is the ability to look up books in a long series and learn the correct order. I don't know why so many of these books don't have that on the inside or the cover.."

Yeah, it is annoying when series aren't clear of the order. It doesn't always matter, but some of us prefer to read in order in any case - even if there is no direct linkage, you do tend to get progression of the characters as it goes.

I also use a site called FictFact to track my series. It's pretty useful for many reasons, not least that I get alerts when new books are added to a series.

https://www.fictfact.com

message 22: by Icewineanne, Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Paul wrote: "Patricia wrote: " One thing I really like about goodreads is the ability to look up books in a long series and learn the correct order. I don't know why so many of these books don't have that on th..."

Thanks for the link Paul. I’ve been using fantastic fiction & the killing me sites to check the order of books in a series. I have tons of books & often forget where i left off in a series. This should help immensely :)

Moonlight | 12 comments I read this book several years ago. I really liked it, enough that I finished reading the rest of the series. The movie was good too.

Pamela Mclaren | 184 comments I've read nine of the 21 books in the series and found them all interesting once I got used to the pace and the lingo being used. Peters developed strong realistic characters, especially Brother Cadfael. As you go along in the series his background as a former solder and the Benedictine world is fleshed out even better.

Brother Cadfael's worldly knowledge — although useful as it was in this story as he serves as a translator — occasionally gets him in trouble and the seeming contradiction between the secular and the spiritual worlds forms a central and continuing theme of the stories. I wonder how unusual it is for soldiers to turn to the religious life.

And what an unusual tale about religious relics — a strange custom and I believe unusual that one town would negotiate with another for them. In reading Wikipedia about the series, apparently this is a fictionalized account of the "translation of Saint Winifred" from the saint's abbey to Shrewsbury.

All in all, I found this to be a very good read.