Jane Austen discussion

General Discussion > JASNA Annual General Meeting-- Anyone attending?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel, The Honorable Miss Moderator (new)

Rachel (randhrshipper1) | 674 comments Mod
The annual general meeting of the Jane Austen Society of North America is this coming weekend. Is anyone here going to be there? I'll be arriving there on Thursday and I can't wait!

message 2: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 123 comments That sounds so fun, but my niece is getting married this weekend, so I can't make it. Take lots of pictures!

message 3: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 582 comments Not this year. Huntington Beach doesn't appeal to me and we're short staffed at work so I must stay. I can't wait to read about it. I enjoyed last year's AGM and can't believe it's been a year already.

Next year in Kansas City, possibly, if I can get there from here and have the time to spare but probably not since there is an Archives conference I should go to in DC. Summer will be easier to get away.

POSSIBLY I can attend in Williamsburg in 2019. I've been dying to go back and I can stay with my cousin in DC overnight and take the train down the next day so it's a little easier to get there than flying to Norfolk or Newport News.

message 4: by Rachel, The Honorable Miss Moderator (last edited Oct 09, 2017 05:24PM) (new)

Rachel (randhrshipper1) | 674 comments Mod
Well, I'm back and the AGM was fantastic! First, the resort was gorgeous-- huge and right next to the beach. The main speakers--Gillian Dow and Devoney Looser-- were wonderful. They were fascinating and funny. All the breakout sessions I attended were excellent too, very insightful and interesting. My favorite was Monica Alvarez' presentation about perceptions about Mr. Darcy over time. It was great to listen to Whit Stillman talk about his work too. Overall I LOVED it and can't wait to go next year.

message 5: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 475 comments Thanks for the report, Rachel. Glad it went so well! One of these days I’ll get to one . . .

message 6: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 582 comments Thanks Rachel! Glad it was fantastic.