Beta Reader Group discussion

Critique Partners and Swaps > YA Fantasy Novel CP

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Morgan (new)

Morgan | 8 comments Hello everyone!

My name is Morgan, and I'm looking for someone to offer big picture edits and feedback on my YA fantasy/science fiction novel, complete at 100,000 words. I'm looking to cut it down to about 95,000. Here's a blurb:

"Four teenagers with control over various natural elements must travel to the end of the universe to retrieve The Verity Archive, a book that contains the truth behind every secret in the universe."

I've critique partnered and beta read before, and I'm typically pretty fast about getting chapters back. I'd prefer to work with another YA novel; I don't mind science fiction, fantasy, or contemporary. If you're interested, message me or reply to this thread and we can talk further. Thank you!

for_books'_sake Hi Morgan,
My name is Sophie and I'm also looking for a CP. I'm really intrigued by the concept of your story from what you've said in the blurb. I have done a lot of critiquing before and will give extensive and fast feedback.
My WIP, Dreamweaver, is YA paranormal romance with a murder mystery subplot and at the minute is looking to be between 50-60k (I'm still editing the last third). I write in extremely short chapters (around 1000 words each) and would be looking to swap work a handful of chapters a time.

Here's the blurb:

When you spend your life inside dreams, sometimes you forget to live them.
17 year old Georgina has always known seeing fairies is a curse - one that’s stolen half her family’s sanity. She’s determined the fae won’t get inside her mind. Protecting it might be harder than she thinks, though.
Nor is a Dreamweaver, destined to spend his immortal life feeding on the desires of others. Trapped in the shadow of two worlds, he has the power to grant any dream except his own. Until he meets her.
But where dreams go, nightmares are never far behind…

If you're interested my email is closeyoureyesandtakealeap@gmail.com

Cheers. :)

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Mahon | 10 comments Hi Sophie & Morgan!
I'm looking for a handful of CPs [this is my first time looking..eep!]. But your two manuscripts seem to be in the same line as mine. Mine is WIP. I'm half-way done with the last edit before I send it out to betas, and would love to know if you guys would be interested! It's jumps around 82k - 95k words long.

I was thinking of doing this chapter-by-chapter through Google Docs.

Blurb:
Katie had a normal life, until one trip home from a Halloween party lands her in the dark world of werewolves. No longer knowing herself or the world around her; how far will she fall?

If either of you are interested my email is sarah-louise-m@hotmail.com

Thanks!

message 4: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 11 comments Hi Morgan and everyone!

If any of you are still looking for CPs, I'd be happy to swap chapter by chapter if you're interested in a teen fantasy novel at 50k.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Sarah wrote: "Hi Sophie & Morgan!
I'm looking for a handful of CPs [this is my first time looking..eep!]. But your two manuscripts seem to be in the same line as mine. Mine is WIP. I'm half-way done with the la..."

Sarah, I'm interested in swapping crits. My novel is complete at 80k, and has a samurai-revenge vibe. Let me know if you are interested!

message 6: by Kirk (new)

Kirk | 128 comments Hi Morgan (and everyone else),

I'm currently looking for beta readers and critique partners, too. My unfinished manuscript is around 90k words (although I hope to chop that down) and it's a dystopian sci-fi story. Here's a rough, placeholder blurb:

"The world has reached new levels of mass overpopulation, and as the number of people continues to grow, the food supplies reach a critical low. When a corporation offers a solution to the epidemic, the world turns a blind eye to what it is they're really consuming, posing the question; what lengths will humanity go to to survive?"

It sounds very Solent Greenish, but I think (or hope) I have an original story. Anyhow, if you or anyone reading this happens to be interested, I'm not looking for a line or copy editor at this point. Right now I want to focus on getting a broader view and get the skeleton of the script solid with regards to character, plot, and pacing, and I can offer the same for your script.

For beta swaps or critique partners, genres I enjoy are:

Children's
Crime
Fantasy
Horror
Mystery
Science Fiction
Thriller
Young adult

I'm not too keen on romance or erotica, so I don't feel like I could give an accurate critique if that's your genre.

Private message me if you're interested.

I hope to hear from one of you soon.

All the best,

Kirk