You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Closed Discussion Topic > #1 Team: JUST US LEAGUE

Comments Showing 1-50 of 302 (302 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Almeta (last edited Oct 14, 2017 09:44AM) (new)

message 2: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 12962 comments You were right on top of that, Almeta!! Thank you. :) Now to come up with a name...anyone?

message 3: by Almeta (last edited Oct 02, 2017 05:38PM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10021 comments Kristie wrote: "You were right on top of that, Almeta!! Thank you. :) Now to come up with a name...anyone?"

lol! You probably noticed I have been champing a the bit!

message 4: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Oct 14, 2017 09:08AM) (new)

Kristie | 12962 comments These are the books I'm going to try to read. I don't know that I'll get through all of them. I have some traveling planned, so I hope to be able to listen to extra audios this time around.

Wonder Woman: Warbringer [Wonder Woman]
A Curious Beginning [Wolverine]
The Art of Hiding [El Diablo]
Psycho [Superman, Flash, Captain America? - not sure where it's set, looks like we could currently use it for Flash]
Wave [Storm]

I can change some of them up if I need to fill in other tasks. Also, I just added Wave because it is short and fills the Storm category. It wasn't originally in my plans, but I should be able to add it easily enough.

Edit: added
Relic [Enchantress]

message 5: by Almeta (last edited Oct 14, 2017 01:38PM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10021 comments Here's my worksheet. I have added those that I intend to get to immediately to the Spreadsheet.

X-Men
Wolverine - Read a book in the historical fiction genre
Sat 6 hrs The God of Small Things
or The Last Kashmiri Rose MEL9
or The Rat Catchers' Olympics PLY278

Storm - Read a book where a natural disaster is central
Sat 3 hrs The Tin Roof Blowdown
- Louisianna
Mon 5 hrs Artifacts - Florida
or Tornado Weather not nasty enough!
or Stormy Weather MEL14

Cyclops - MC requires glasses or is blind
Sun 7 hrs The Broken Teaglass
- Massachusetts
or Death Trance 298
Rogue - Read a romance Zack MCLS9
Beast - Read a fairytale retold Golden: A Retelling of Rapunzel MEL179

Professor Xavier - MC is a teacher or professor
Tues 3 hrs The Dante Club

or A Single Man Hoop5
or Miss Pym Disposes Own200

Magneto - Read a book with an anti-hero
Mon 4 hrs Wicked Gentlemen

Justice League
Superman - Read a classic
Sat 3 hrs Red Harvest

Wonder Woman - a female MC who can kick butt
Wed 7 Hrs Under the Jolly Roger:
Being an Account of the Further Nautical Adventures of Jacky Faber
or Gilded Needles Own342
Batman - book with a very wealthy MC
Fri 6 Hrs The Great Gatsby

or The Swimming-Pool Library 336
Aquaman - Book cover has water on it Fevre Dream 334
Flash - book that is >175 pages, but <250 pages
News of the World MEL209
or Golden: A Retelling of RapunzelMEL179
or The Amazing Mrs. Pollifax PLY7
or The Maracot Deep MEL200
Green Lantern - Book cover has a ring or other piece of jewelry on it
The Thief PLY7

Cyborg - Read a book with a cyborg, robot, or artificial intelligence
Tues 4 hrs I, Robot]

or Demon Seed

Avengers
Captain America - Book is set in the United States
Iron Man - MC is a scientist or science professor or is an inventor
Thur 6 Hrs A Night in the Lonesome October

or The Woman Who Walked Into the Sea PLY215
Hawkeye - Read a book with the word arrow in the title or an arrow on the cover or where a character uses a bow and arrow The Black Arrow Hoop8 or Arrows MEL6

✔Black Widow - Read a book with espionage
Fri 3 Hrs The Amazing Mrs. Pollifax
Thor - Read a book with an alien Hunter's Run Ply320
or Firefly Ply384
or Liquid Sky - not available

Hulk - Read a book in the science-fiction genre
Sat 12 Uglies
or The Maracot Deep MEL200
or The Vagrant MEL400
or Doomsday Book MEL26
too long
Antman - Read a book with an animal MC or from an animal’s perspective
A Tail of Two Murders

SUICIDE SQUAD
Captain Boomerang - Read a book with a thief or where something is stolen
Sun 5 hrs The Crack in the Lens - Texas
Thur 7 Hrs The Thief

Deadshot - MC carries or uses a gun
Mon 5 hrs The Late Show
- California
or Mississippi Blood MCLS28
Enchantress - Read a book with an archaeologist or where someone finds an artifact

Harley Quinn - Story involves a mental institution / insane asylum / hospital for the mentally ill
Tues 5 hrs One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
or Four and Twenty Blackbirds 285
or Shutter Island MCLS10
Kantana - a book set in Japan or with a Japanese MC or author
The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet
Killer Croc - Read a book that takes place on or under the water
The Maracot Deep MEL200 or Fevre Dream 334 or Dead Calm 188

El Diablo - Book cover has fire on it.
Wed 3 Hrs Interpreter of Maladies

message 6: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 12962 comments I just bought Wave, so I will definitely get to it. I should be able to finish all the books I listed above. I have a few others tagged in case I have additional time, but that's not likely.

I just realized that I will lose 3 hours during the toppler. I am starting on the east coast and ending on the west coast, which is 3 hours behind us. So, instead of the toppler ending at noon for me, it will end at 9am. Such a bummer! I'll have to try to finish up Friday night instead of Saturday morning.

message 7: by TrudyAn (new)

TrudyAn | 1628 comments These are my books, in the order I plan to read them. I should be able to read at least the first three listed. After that, I can change the order if needed. I may not get to much more than three, because the first of the week will be busy for me (Canadian Thanksgiving plus other commitments).

Harley Quinn - Blue Asylum
Flash OR Captain America - The Motel Life
Wolverine - A Sunday at the Pool in Kigali
Killer Croc OR Aquaman - The Perfect Storm
Hulk - Nostalgia
Green Lantern or Wolverine - Muse

message 8: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments I know I'll read books that fit Cyclops and Rogue. Don't know if I'm supposed to, but I slotted myself into the spreadsheet for those two. Have to do more gophering to see what else I might read.

message 9: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10021 comments TrudyAn wrote: "These are my books, in the order I plan to read them. I should be able to read at least the first three listed. After that, I can change the order if needed. I may not get to much more than three, ..."

TrudyAn, I've added your first three to the spreadsheet. We can add any of the remaining three when time permits another one.

message 10: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10021 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "I know I'll read books that fit Cyclops and Rogue. Don't know if I'm supposed to, but I slotted myself into the spreadsheet for those two. Have to do more gophering to see what else I might read."

That's great jaxnsmom. Things are starting to take shape.☺

message 11: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14602 comments Hello team 1!!

Great to see this already so organized when waking up :D

I did some gophering in the past week and came up with the following books. I picked short ones or ones that I know I can read fast, because I won't have that much time for reading next week. I'm going to commit to one book, but if I can read the first two of my list I might be able to get 2 in.

Peach Cobbler Murder
JL - Wonder Woman
AV - Captain America
SS - Enchantress??

Where She Went
AV - Captain America
XM - Rogue

-----

The Sex Lives of Cannibals: Adrift in the Equatorial Pacific
JL - Aquaman

Sarah's Key
XM - Wolverine
JL - Wonder Woman??

The Mirror World of Melody Black
SS - Harley Quinn

message 12: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14602 comments I added Peach Cobbler Murder to the tracking sheet. I put it with Enchantress because the other two tasks if would work for are covered already. I'm not 100% sure if it will fit though. The MC's mom owns an antique shop, but I won't know until I read the book if it features in this one too.

Should I put the second one in as well or wait until I'm sure I can do 2?

message 13: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10021 comments Peggy wrote: "I added Peach Cobbler Murder to the tracking sheet. I put it with Enchantress because the other two tasks if would work for are covered already. I'm not 100% sure if it will fit though. The MC's mo..."

Some fun reading there Peggy.

Just put those books that you are confident will be read, on the spreadsheet.

message 14: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10021 comments Anyone have an idea for a team name?

WE NEED AN IDENTITY!

message 15: by Almeta (last edited Oct 03, 2017 03:49AM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10021 comments One for the Books
One Side of the Story
The Only Ones
One More Time
One and All
First Things First
Caped Crusaders
Super Hero Sidekicks
Toppler League
Just Us League

message 16: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments Just Us League is clever. I vote for it.

message 17: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments Can't believe I'm on the same team as my sister! And what a great team we have!

I'm posting from my phone. Will see where my 11 books will fit best. I'm only reading 4-5 though. Will update this evening.

message 18: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14602 comments I like it too :) I like a name that has some sort of superhero feel to it.

message 19: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 12962 comments That one is clever. I agree, that's the one.

message 20: by KimeyDiann (new)

KimeyDiann | 2174 comments I like Just Us League too! I agree, we need a superhero themed name to match the toppler theme and that one is perfect!

I can usually read two books, I don't want to commit for anything more than that. I've just skimmed through the criteria at this point so I don't know what books I'll be going for yet.
This is a busy week for me so I'll update as I have time.

message 21: by Almeta (last edited Oct 03, 2017 12:21PM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10021 comments Okay Just Us League it is for now. We can change it when more team members join in....and someone comes up with THE GREAT NAME!

message 22: by Tejas Janet (new)

Tejas Janet (tejasjanet) | 3513 comments Oh, I was going to suggest a name... Wonder Word Book Crushers or some such, but that's okay. I can get behind Just Us 😋

message 23: by Cherie (last edited Oct 03, 2017 05:34PM) (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19594 comments hahaha - great team name!

message 24: by Anne (Booklady) (last edited Oct 03, 2017 06:14PM) (new)

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo (wwwgoodreadscomAnneMolinarolo) | 1282 comments Glad to be with you again, Kristie :)

Almeta, Debra, TJ, JMom! Great to be on the same team, finally!!!!

I've Gophered and:

X-men
Professor Xavier - MC is a teacher or professor The Professor's House

Justice League
Aquaman -water on cover Oracle Night by Paul Auster
Batman -MC Maxim de Winter is wealthy Rebecca
Green Lantern - Book cover has a ring or other piece of jewelry on it = Locket The Girls In The Water (Detectives King and Lane, #1) by Victoria Jenkins

Avengers

Hawkeye - Read a book with the word arrow in the title or an arrow on the cover Hood (King Raven, #1) by Stephen R. Lawhead
Black Widow - Read a book with espionage Portrait of a Spy

I've marked them on the Spreadsheet. I may be able to do 1 more, Almeta. I read fast, ask Kristie - she knows :D
I'll do the short ones first :)

I can't do Aliens at all :(

message 25: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 12962 comments Glad to be on your team again too, Anne. :)

message 26: by Debra (last edited Oct 16, 2017 02:36AM) (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments EDITED 10/14

I've committed to the following 5 books, so far. Thinking I might get to a very short 6th.

The Hungry Tide for Suicide Squad, Killer Croc - takes place on or under the water
Alternate tasks:
Justice League, Aquaman - water on cover
Batman - Read a book with a very wealthy MC, can be nonfiction about a very wealthy person
At home

Tesla's Attic for Avengers, Iron Man - MC is a scientist or science professor or is an inventor... or Avengers, Hulk - Read sci-fi genre
At home

Violet Eyes: A Retelling of The Princess and the Pea for X-Men, Beast - Fairy tale retold
At home

The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea for Suicide Squad, Katana, set in Japan/Japanese author
At home

Darkly Dreaming Dexter for X-Men, Magneto - MC is an anti-hero
At home

Alien for Avengers, Thor - book with an alien
At home
-----------------------------------

Others I could possibly read:

Dead Poets Society for X-Men, Professor Xavier - MC is a teacher or professor
ALTERNATE TASK= Justice League, Superman - Read a classic
At home

To Sir, With Love also for X-Men, Professor Xavier - MC is a teacher or professor
ALTERNATE TASK = Justice League, Superman - Read a classic
At home

The Secrets of Vesuvius for X-Men, Storm - Natural Disaster
At home

The Accidental Time Machine for Avengers, Iron Man - MC is a scientist or science professor or is an inventor.
At home

The Lady in the Car with Glasses and a Gun for X-Men, Cyclops - MC requires glasses
At home

Steppenwolf for Justice League, Superman - Read a classic
At home

Missing in Mudbug for X-Men, Rogue - romance genre
At home

Nine Princes in Amber for Avengers, Hulk - Read sci-fi genre... or for Justice League, Flash - more than 175, less than 250 pages
At home

Josie and Jack for Avengers, Captain American - set in USA
At home

Bloody Jack for Suicide Squad, Killer Croc - On or under water
At home

The Art of Purring for Avengers, Antman - MC is an animal
At home

Vermilion for X-Men, Professor Xavier - MC is a professor
At home

The Gourmet Club: A Sextet for Suicide Squad, Katana - set in Japan/Japanese author
At home

Eliminated from my original list:

Chaos in Mudbug again for X-Men, Rogue - romance genre
At home
Have to read another Mudbug book in series before this one. No time left for that.

The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making for Justice League, Flash - more than 175, less than 250 pages
At home
Changed my mind about this one.

The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat and Other Clinical Tales for Suicide Squad, Harley Quinn - set in a mental institution.
At home
This one won't work for the task.

A Drink Before the War for El Diablo - Book cover has fire on it.
Not turned back in at library, yet.

message 27: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments Great to see you Anne! Welcome! We've got an awesome team!

message 28: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10021 comments Debra wrote: "Ok, I put 5 books on the spreadsheet, filling all available holes for the first go-round with each group of tasks. However, I'm not sure I will complete 5 books. Plus 3 of them are coming via our i..."

Great list Debra.

Since you are unsure of delivery, I moved Aliens and The Lady in the Car with Glasses and a Gun to the second set of tasks.

There are still some team members who have yet to check in. It is likely that they can fill those two spots with confidence.

message 29: by Almeta (last edited Oct 04, 2017 06:12AM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10021 comments Based on everyone's response so far it looks as though we will at least have four Superhero crews covered.

We will get twenty points for each troupe section whose deeds are completely accomplished. So IF you see a blank and have a book that will fit, claim that space. Don't panic about it. We have team members who are willing to read for the blank space as we near the end of the week.

Remember we get points for every book, so if you have a book that you want to read that would fill a slot, READ IT! It won't matter in which set of four tasks it ends up landing. AND you will have read a book that you wanted.

Oh, who am I kidding...LET'S WIN!☺

message 30: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10021 comments Debra wrote: "Ok, I put 5 books on the spreadsheet, filling all available holes for the first go-round with each group of tasks. ...."

I have The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea on my TBR and stare at it every once in a while. I loved the movie, However, I am sure it was "Westernized" and so not likely to follow the book. I'm reluctant to take the chance. If you DO read it, I will be very interested in what you think of it.

message 31: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments Thanks, sis. Regarding the sailor book, I just realized that it's THAT movie! Wow... yes I'm sure it doesn't resemble the book much.

message 32: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 12962 comments I started Relic today for the yearly challenge, as it's set in a museum and right in the beginning of the book they found an artifact. I put it aside and will restart it for the toppler for Enchantress.

I'm not sure what to listen to now for the next couple of days. lol I think I may take a nap instead. I'm fighting off a bit of something with a sore throat. Maybe if I sleep more now I can sleep less later?

message 33: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10021 comments Kristie wrote: "...I'm not sure what to listen to now for the next couple of days. lol I think I may take a nap instead. I'm fighting off a bit of something with a sore throat. Maybe if I sleep more now I can sleep less later? .."

Yes, Yes! You must conserve your strength for the coming week. Need a sleep mask? ☺

message 34: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Peggy wrote: "I added Peach Cobbler Murder to the tracking sheet. I put it with Enchantress because the other two tasks if would work for are covered already. I'm not 100% sure if it will fit though. The MC's mo..."

I'm pretty sure the antique shop doesn't have anything to do with the mystery in this one.

message 35: by jaxnsmom (last edited Oct 04, 2017 08:05PM) (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments I put myself in some more slots in the spreadsheet. As of now I'm in the following spots:

First round
X-Men
- Cyclops
- Rogue
Avengers
- Thor
Suicide Squad
- Deadshot

Second round
X-Men
- Rogue
- Beast
Avengers
- Ironman

Third round
X-Men
- Wolverine

Don't know if I'll be able to read any other books, but will see what's needed as time passes.

message 36: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14602 comments Jmom, it might be enough if it features in the story.

Kristie, for the enchantress task, does the book have to be set in an antique shop or is it enough if the mc visits an antique shop or a character owns an antiques shop?

message 37: by Tejas Janet (new)

Tejas Janet (tejasjanet) | 3513 comments Hey, Team "Just Us" League. Looking forward to getting started soon! I've signed up for 6 books and tasks. Probably my max unless i can kick it up a notch or two.

message 38: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 12962 comments Peggy, the task just states that there is one in the book. So, if there is a visit to a an antique shop, it would fit.

message 39: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14602 comments Thanks! :)

message 40: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments Kristie, please rest and do stress-free stuff. We want you well for the Toppler, and just because!

message 41: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments Great to see you T.J. and everyone I didn't say hi to in the beginning. We have such a great, powerful team!

I'm with Almeta; let's go for it! Kick butt like all super superheroes do!

WIN! WIN! WIN!

message 42: by Debra (last edited Oct 05, 2017 06:15AM) (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments I just updated my message 25 and added another cozy mystery/romance book I could knock off as quickly as the other one.

message 43: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 12962 comments Debra wrote: "Kristie, please rest and do stress-free stuff. We want you well for the Toppler, and just because!"

Thanks, Debra! I'm sure I'll be in perfect condition for the toppler. Fortunately, I have a lot of audios. So, even if I have to rest, I can still listen. :)

message 44: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments Sounds like the ticket, Kristie!

message 45: by Marcus (new)

Marcus | 623 comments Hey guys: pretty excited for the toppler. I am traveling a lot this week which is good (sitting on planes) and bad (driving) for reading time but I'll do my best. Here are my tentative plans and we'll see how far I get:

1. The Flash: A River Runs Through It
2. Captain America: The Monster Hunter Files
3. Wolverine: The Green Count
4. Aquaman: Blue at the Mizzen
5. Wonder Woman: The Core
6. Hulk: Red Mars

message 46: by Marcus (new)

Marcus | 623 comments Realistically, I'll probably get the first two and maybe the third

message 47: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10021 comments Marcus wrote: "Realistically, I'll probably get the first two and maybe the third"

Nice mix of reading Marcus.

I added your first two to the spreadsheet. We can add the rest as you are more confident about getting them done.

message 48: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10021 comments By-The=Way

Any time that you want to switch to a different book...please do. Just make sure that the abandoned one comes off the spreadsheet.

message 49: by KimeyDiann (new)

KimeyDiann | 2174 comments When I started gophering the other day I way trying to find something for the open tasks and slotted Quite Contrary in for X-Men - Beast - Fairytale retelling.
It looks like the first round of books are already fully slotted, but I'll slip it in on one of the sequels.

I haven't decided on an audiobook yet. Looks like we still need an anti-hero book, any suggestions?

message 50: by Almeta (last edited Oct 06, 2017 04:13AM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10021 comments KimeyDiann wrote: "I haven't decided on an audiobook yet. Looks like we still need an anti-hero book, any suggestions?"

Johannes Cabal the Necromancer
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Darkly Dreaming Dexter
The Talented Mr. Ripley
The Maltese Falcon
Caught Stealing

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7