Play Book Tag discussion

Midnight at the Bright Ideas Bookstore
Archive: Other Books > Midnight at the Bright Ideas Bookstore, by Matthew J. Sullivan- 5 Stars!

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joi (last edited Oct 02, 2017 12:35PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3822 comments This was an unexpected fabulous read!! I thought given the title and the loose knowledge this was going to be a cozy bookstore mystery. Little did I know, it was more of a crime-based who-dunnet, with the bookstore just being the setting. I think the 5 stars is a little guilty pleasure rating, more entertainment value, and a surprise. But I really enjoyed the ride!

This follows Lydia, a bookseller at the Bright Ideas Bookstore. There are two plotlines that have to do with Lydia and her surroundings (the book definitely makes me want to go to Denver, and uses its location almost as a character). The first follows Lydia finding a "bookfrog" (store loiterer with a good heart) hung himself in the third floor. In his pocket was a picture of Lydia and her friends as a child. Why does he have this? What is the connection? Why is Lydia being bequeathed all his belongings after he dies? The second plotline follows Lydia's past, and how her big secret is coming to the light years later.

This has lots of humor despite the crime and darkness of death within its themes. There isn't too much "bookism" in it, but you can tell its written for book lovers given the scenery and references. This book definitely has a genre-identity crisis. Being part mystery, part family themes, part who-dunnet, part humor. But these are all things I love personally. There were some super surprise familial themes (view spoiler) that pulled my heart, and bumped this to 5 stars for me. I read the last 250 pages in one sitting, so I'd definitely call it a page turner. Might not be the world's "finest literature" but definitely worth recommending!

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 8855 comments I have this out from the library, and I can't wait! Beautifully written review.

message 3: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments Awww....this looks like an enjoyable cozy mystery for the coming winter months!

Ladyslott | 1880 comments It was quite good although I too was expecting something completely different based on the title.

message 5: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7202 comments Joi wrote: "This was an unexpected fabulous read!! I thought given the title and the loose knowledge this was going to be a cozy bookstore mystery. Little did I know, it was more of a crime-based who-dunnet, w..."

Before I read this, because there is a Lydia in my extended family and I don't want another Lydia like that in Pride and Prejudice or the TV show Revenge (very different Lydias) is this Lydia likable and overall a good/decent person?

message 6: by Joi (last edited Oct 02, 2017 02:14PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3822 comments Nicole R, I don't think it may be as "cozy" as expected, but I think you'll enjoy!

Karin, I think Lydia was likable. She has her flaws, but the book does a good job of explaining why she feels and thinks how she does. She was pretty rational, and definitely a good person. Nothing like Lydia from P&P, haha. Although pretty different, I think if you like the Tara French series, you'd probably like this. Maybe for if your in the mood for a mystery.

message 7: by annapi (new) - added it

annapi | 5069 comments This sounds interesting!