Beyond Reality discussion

Ninefox Gambit (The Machineries of Empire, #1)
This topic is about Ninefox Gambit
Previous BotM--DISCUSSIONS > Ninefox Gambit -- Roll Call and First Impressions **NO SPOILERS!**

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Candiss (new) - added it

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments Please let us know if you are reading, or plan to read, Ninefox Gambit by Yoon Ha Lee.

Please, **NO SPOILERS** in this thread.

message 2: by Suzanne (new) - added it

Suzanne | 98 comments I'm going to try to get this one in - I keep hearing about it, and it'd be more fun to read it with a group!

Silvana (silvaubrey) Hexarchate faction cheat sheet (just in case anyone needs it)
http://www.yoonhalee.com/?p=836

Travis Foster (travismfoster) Definitely planning to read this asap.

message 5: by Haaze (new)

Haaze | 4 comments It has a very unusual and enigmatic culture, which makes one want to find out more about it. Just one more chapter. One more....

message 6: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob | 15 comments I'm coming late to this one and am about halfway through and I still can't decide if I like it or not. The writing is great, Lee definitely has a great way with words and the dialogue, despite the techno babble comes across as realistic. The plot is quite intriguing as well.

But, it seems so empty. The world is interesting but is so limited, there are only two characters who have made an impression, the rest are interchangeable. The location is a generic spaceship / galaxy but there's no impression of the scope of anything.

I'm thinking this may end up being a great, well written idea that just ends up coming across as sterile. I'm sure I'll finish this one but not sure if I'll continue.

Rachel | 67 comments Huh - it’s so funny how different things seem to different folks. I loved the book and complex world.
I can tell you that there are new POV characters in the second that I found quite well done.

Silvana (silvaubrey) I can see why some would call it sterile. I just got really captivated with the setting and interaction between all this factions and the two MCs. I guess those are enough for me.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Ninefox Gambit (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Yoon Ha Lee (other topics)