Beyond Reality discussion

Ninefox Gambit (The Machineries of Empire, #1)
This topic is about Ninefox Gambit
Previous BotM--DISCUSSIONS > Ninefox Gambit -- Finished Reading **SPOILERS!**

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Candiss (new) - added it

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments If you've finished reading Ninefox Gambit by Yoon Ha Lee, this is the place to share your thoughts with the group.

Caution: There will likely be **SPOILERS** in this thread.

Rachel | 67 comments I loved this book and voted for it for the Hugo award.

Silvana (silvaubrey) I loved this book too and would have voted for a Hugo if I have the voting right :p

Currently reading Raven Stratagem.

Rachel | 67 comments Only costs about $40 to vote!!!

Silvana (silvaubrey) Rachel wrote: "Only costs about $40 to vote!!!"

Is that the non attending member fee? Do you get all the nomination package?

Rachel | 67 comments Non attending; you do get the package (helped me read the last few shorts/novelettes that weren't already available)
And, it means you can nominate for the next year!!
(This was my first year so I'm fired up about it)

message 7: by Chris, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Chris (heroncfr) | 545 comments Mod
Non-attending membership for Worldcon 76, San Jose 2018, is $50. Yes, you do get voting rights and it includes the nomination package. Note that in recent years this does not always include the full text of ALL nominated novels; some only provide an excerpt (it's up to the publisher). It has included full text of novellas, novelettes, and short stories. Here's a link to the membership page. http://www.worldcon76.org/membership/...

message 8: by Chris, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

As to Ninefox Gambit, I thought it was a creative book. I've read it for two other book groups, where it received generally good reviews. I admit, though, I had quite a problem getting into the book on the first read. There isn't a lot of explanation on the society and the calendrical "technology" until you're well into the story, and the lack of explanation got in my way. I found the book much more engaging on the second read since I had a better idea what was going on. I also liked Raven Stratagem, but was a little put out that it began with more background explanation. Where was that in the first book, where I needed it????

I did like the main characters and the political twists and turns.

Rachel | 67 comments I've always preferred books that jump right in and let you figure out the world by the little details, rather than outright explanations. Almost all TV/visual media is dumbed down for the masses- at least books can still give a challenge!!

Rachel | 67 comments Although I also admit that I have junk food books (like right now working on Kate Daniels and Rivers of London when I need junk food reads)

(Also so I don't sound like a total dick - I generally assume anyone reading in the genre is smarter than the masses 😁)

message 11: by Chris, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Don't worry, Rachel. I like a challenge, too (e.g., the Malazan group read!!). I just found Ninefox Gambit took longer than I would have liked to open up to me. But you're not alone, NG certainly has built quite a following!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Ninefox Gambit (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Yoon Ha Lee (other topics)