The Three Pines discussion

Books > Glass Houses #13

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bloss ♡ (new)

Bloss ♡ (bloss) | 0 comments I just finished Glass Houses over the weekend (after a year of waiting, I finished it in 48 hours!). What did y'all think of this one?

message 2: by Bloss ♡ (last edited Oct 02, 2017 08:58AM) (new)

Bloss ♡ (bloss) | 0 comments ** SPOILERS: If you haven't read the book yet, don't read this section!**

I loved the cobrador as it made this, in my opinion, the spookiest Gamache book so far (which was great for fall reading).

I actually was surprised to hear that the "old" cobrador was actually completely fictitious! When I was reading about the island and the Spanish Inquisition, I made a mental note to look that up for further reading... but then I read the Author's Note!

I am curious to see what future books bring. On one hand, I am very impressed with the character development and how Louise has not allowed Gamache or any of the other characters to "go flat" thus far. However, given that Gamache had retired, I could buy his teaching at the academy (and thought that was a great post-career role for him!) but I'm not sure I could fully buy him as the leader of the entire Surete. With this, given what happens in #13, I cannot see a circumstance where he would be welcomed back from his suspension... not in any reasonable circumstance anyway. With this, I'm very curious to see where Louise takes this series. I admit I have a few theories!

Lastly, is anyone else really curious to know what Gracie is? I'm not convinced that it will ever be explained fully but I am so intrigued. When she was first introduced I thought she might be a ferret of some sort but now I'm not as convinced!

message 3: by Kat (new)

Kat (Katz5) | 25 comments Am just a smiling....

message 4: by Kat (new)

Kat (Katz5) | 25 comments And is that not the joy of this author? To take a topic and envision it differently.

As to Gracie, will simply be herself.

message 5: by Bloss ♡ (new)

Bloss ♡ (bloss) | 0 comments Hey Kat,

That is so true! I’m going to trust that Louise Penny has a plan for Gamache (and has had one for years!). After all, she heard the cobrador story many years ago and filed it away until Glass Houses! :)

message 6: by Diana (new)

Diana | 12 comments I enjoyed the book immensely. I also knocked it out very quickly. I admire this author even more. She just does not lose her quality.

message 7: by Bloss ♡ (new)

Bloss ♡ (bloss) | 0 comments I agree Diana, I can’t imagine it’s easy to keep characters fresh in long series but Louise has managed to do it! I’m pretty keen to see where she goes with our Three Pines friends next!

message 8: by Kat (new)

Kat (Katz5) | 25 comments I just finished re-reading "The Brutal Telling". Wow, not woo, this woman writes so well.

message 9: by Kat (new)

Kat (Katz5) | 25 comments I think that is what I offer you right now: Glass Houses is fresh in your mind, and so well created. Do you know it all?

Is this your first experience with Chief Inspector Gamache?

message 10: by Kat (new)

Kat (Katz5) | 25 comments Smiles...I had this weekend off and nothing to do. I went onto youtube. My intention was to learn to knit, though I got sidetracked. I found interviews with Ms. Penny.

May I just say this author is a delight!

message 11: by Reenie (new)

Reenie (reeniebell) | 68 comments Mod
I've just managed to get my hands on this one, thanks to the library, I can't wait to start it!

message 12: by Reenie (new)

Reenie (reeniebell) | 68 comments Mod
I'm only a few pages in and I love it. Gamache on the stand has me gripped, the dark character has me intrigued and the food descriptions have me hungry.

message 13: by Susy (new)

Susy | 3 comments Loved Glass Houses, another amazing book. She just gets better and better. I am going to see her in Cleveland next month, can not wait!

message 14: by Linda (new)

Linda | 21 comments Susy wrote: "Loved Glass Houses, another amazing book. She just gets better and better. I am going to see her in Cleveland next month, can not wait!"

I agree that each book is better than the previous one. Lucky you to see her next month.