The Reading Challenge Group discussion

Monthly Theme Challenge 2017 > Halloween & Paranormal - October 2017

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Allison, Quest Hound (new)

Allison (rainy-day-reads) | 1298 comments Mod
We're reading spooky in October! Think Paranormal, Halloween, witches, cats, creepy, spooky, scary, gothic atmosphere... whatever puts you in the Halloween mood.

May shivers abound.

message 2: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

Rosemarie | 3830 comments Mod
The Turn of the Screw by Henry James

This is a very creepy story and I really didn't like it very much. Horror is my least favourite genre.

message 3: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (new)

Jenny Clark | 1535 comments Mod
At least it is one more off the Guardian list Rose! I read that a few months ago myself. I liked it, but then I also like horror :) Maybe something with a black cat for you next? Or reruns of Sabrina!

message 4: by Allison, Quest Hound (new)

I'm with you on horror, Rosemarie - not usually my thing!

I'm planning to read a humorous ghost cozy mystery and a paranormal for this month.

Dead and Breakfast (Merry Ghost Inn #1) by Kate Kingsbury Bone Crossed (Mercy Thompson, #4) by Patricia Briggs

message 5: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

I will find something less creepy, for sure.

message 6: by LindaH (new)

LindaH | 153 comments Thanks for the warning, Rosemarie. That was the very book I was going to read. I’m no fan of horror either. I’ll keep checking this thread for ideas.

message 7: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

Linda, The Turn of the Screw wasn't really horror, it was creepy. It was an unreliable narrator, so we are not sure what really happened.

message 8: by Glennis (new)

Glennis | 136 comments I've long wanted to see Bell, Book and Candle...since that's not an option, now seems a good time to read it. I also found The Phantom of the Opera at the Gutenberg Project, and a novel.... Playing Dead. Hopefully, I'll get through something by the end of the month!

message 9: by LindaH (new)

LindaH | 153 comments I appreciate the clarification, Rosemarie. I will give it a try after all.

message 10: by Paula (new)

Paula Bardell-Hedley (gaiabird) | 195 comments Count me in!

message 11: by Cindy (new)

Cindy  | 384 comments Count me in!
I am reading I Remember You: A Ghost Story by Yrsa Sigurðardóttir, The setting is in Iceland.

message 12: by Trisha (last edited Oct 05, 2017 12:57PM) (new)

Trisha | 796 comments I don't like horror either. If anyone is looking for something less scary, try one of these novels with some ghostly elements. Yesterday's Sun or Where I Found You, both by Amanda Brooke

message 13: by Paula (new)

Paula Bardell-Hedley (gaiabird) | 195 comments Rosemarie wrote: "The Turn of the Screw by Henry James..."

Excellent suggestion. I may very well go for it myself. Many thanks for highlighting this title, Rosemarie.

message 14: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

On the lighter side, I have finished The Canterville Ghost by Oscar Wilde.

message 15: by Paula (new)

Paula Bardell-Hedley (gaiabird) | 195 comments What did you think of it, Rosemarie?

message 16: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

It was a fun book. The ending was wonderful.

message 17: by LindaH (new)

LindaH | 153 comments I have finished The Turn of the Screw by Henry James. I liked it. The ambiguity is my kind of creepy.

message 18: by Paula (new)

Paula Bardell-Hedley (gaiabird) | 195 comments I'm reading The Turn of the Screw at the moment, Linda. Glad to hear you enjoyed it.

message 19: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 796 comments Rosemarie wrote: "On the lighter side, I have finished The Canterville Ghost by Oscar Wilde."

Thanks for the recommendation, Rosemarie.

message 20: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

You're welcome. The library copy I read had charming illustrations by Inga Moore.

message 21: by Paula (new)

Paula Bardell-Hedley (gaiabird) | 195 comments Rosemarie wrote: "It was a fun book. The ending was wonderful."

I see there is a free Kindle version of this title on Amazon.uk. Excellent! Thank you once again, Rosemarie.

message 22: by Allison, Quest Hound (new)

I read The Restorer, a suitably creepy story about a cemetery restorer who sees ghosts, and they're not friendly if they know you see them.

message 23: by Paula (new)

Paula Bardell-Hedley (gaiabird) | 195 comments Looks extremely creepy, Allison. I've never read anything by Amanda Stevens but I see she's published quite a few books. Is she an author you know well?

message 24: by Paula (last edited Oct 19, 2017 06:57AM) (new)

Paula Bardell-Hedley (gaiabird) | 195 comments I have just completed this title (don't think I'll fit any more spooky reads in this month):

The Turn of the Screw by Henry James (18/10/17)

message 25: by LindaH (new)

LindaH | 153 comments Paula, I found this review of an audible version of The Turn of the Screw to be helpful after I finished the book.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/22/bo...

message 26: by Paula (new)

Paula Bardell-Hedley (gaiabird) | 195 comments Many thanks indeed, Linda.

message 27: by Allison, Quest Hound (new)

Paula wrote: "Looks extremely creepy, Allison. I've never read anything by Amanda Stevens but I see she's published quite a few books. Is she an author you know well?"

This was my first by her, Paula. I'd seen a few good reviews about this series and decided this was a good time to try it. I do think I'll continue with the series.

message 28: by Cindy (last edited Oct 19, 2017 03:52PM) (new)

Cindy  | 384 comments Finished I Remember You: A Ghost Story. It was a good story to read for Halloween. The two stories going side by side was a little annoying.

My second book for this challenge is Sharing Her Crime. It is the oldest book on my Kindle TBR. This is a dark crime story. Starts on Christmas Eve. Old Madge Oranmore is devising a plan to murder her daughter-in-law and dispose of her granddaughter. It does have a witch in it, Miss Hagar

message 29: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 796 comments Finished The Canterville Ghost - Oscar Wilde. I hardly ever read ghost stories, only read this as it was a group challenge. I found it disappointing.

message 30: by Trisha (last edited Oct 22, 2017 03:29PM) (new)

Trisha | 796 comments I read The Turn of the Screw today. I didn't like it - didn't find it scary/creepy, just tedious & unbelievable. Sorry.

Thank you, Linda, for the link to the review which I enjoyed much more than the book!

message 31: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 796 comments I finished reading Rivers of London - Ben Aaronovitch, which a friend recommended. If you enjoy reading about ghosts, wizards & magic then you'd love this book. It's written well & has wonderful descriptions of London. The author has a good sense of humour too. But personally I don't like reading about ghosts etc, so was disappointed with the story.

message 32: by Dana (new)

Dana (danapd) I read The Dark Witch by Nora Roberts

message 33: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (bkind2books) | 810 comments Started this one in October, so I'm counting The Girl with All the Gifts as my read. It was definitely chilling.