Our Shared Shelf discussion

Miscellaneous > Las Vegas

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pam (new)

Pam | 1080 comments Mod
https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/las...

Thoughts and prayers for those harmed in this senseless act of violence.

message 2: by Phoebe (new)

Phoebe | 54 comments Unfortunately, I don't think this is going to stop for a while and it's awful. How people get pleasure out of it I don't know

message 3: by Catherine (new)

Catherine As someone who is not from America but sees this on the news all too frequently I wonder why this happens. What kind of headspace must you be in to so this? I hope the families of the victims and the nation can heal from this travesty.

message 4: by Soscha (last edited Oct 02, 2017 12:29PM) (new)

Soscha Something to keep in mind: an analysis of mass shootings over the last 6 yrs shows 54% were either directly connected to or shooter had prior history of domestic violence.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-d...

message 5: by MeerderWörter (new)

MeerderWörter | 2388 comments Tragic, really tragic. The only thing one can do right now, if you live in Las Vegas, the Southeast, to donate blood. That is how you can help.

But let's not forget that this wasn't the biggest bloodshed on American soil.

message 6: by David (new)

David Larkin | 49 comments When i was a police officer in San Diego, I did a study on the mass shootings throughout the US, I covered cases from 1980-1994 when my daughter was born, and more than a hundred different people. I found a surprising and frightening commonality. In every single case, those men (and in a few cases women) had been on Ritalin to 'treat' their ADD/ADHD. What's more, in most of those cases, this dangerous drug was prescribed not by doctors after a case study, but by teachers who didn't want to deal with the natural exuberance of children. In most cases, the child grew up with firearms in their lives, but little to no moral training. Perhaps that is where we should look.
David Larkin

message 7: by Ross (new)

Ross | 1444 comments This is horrifying and fascinating teachers allow to prescribe power drugs to children on the basis of there observation alone.

Have there been any studies on the long term effects if such drugs taken so young when the brain is still developing.

message 8: by MeerderWörter (new)

MeerderWörter | 2388 comments Emma wrote: "David wrote: "When i was a police officer in San Diego, I did a study on the mass shootings throughout the US, I covered cases from 1980-1994 when my daughter was born, and more than a hundred diff..."

Me as well. Nothing better than some hard facts.

message 9: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 82 comments david, I am interested in this research. I had never heard that connection before.

message 10: by Lasse (new)

Lasse | 16 comments I hope, it will end someday. All that kind of terrorism. The world must stand together and help.