Nightstand Hoarders discussion

Book Discussions > October 2017 - The Lighthouse Keeper

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Meghan (last edited Oct 02, 2017 06:06AM) (new)

Meghan Our October book will be "The Lighthouse Keeper" by Cynthia Ellingsen.

The Lighthouse Keeper by Cynthia Ellingsen

As you read, please feel welcome to update us on your progress, thoughts and questions.

*Please remember to hide spoilers - directions for this can be found in the yellow box that pops up next to your text box.

Happy Reading!

message 2: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekahmaria92) | 70 comments Oh my! It only took me two days to finish because I couldn’t put it down! I loved that the story line flowed a natural timeline (I’ve read a lot of books that hop timelines the last couple months). I also loved that it takes place on Lake Michigan. It was so easy to imagine the sand dunes, the small town, the lighthouse, and the feeling of community. I’m looking forward to what others think :)

message 3: by Kathy Szakatis (new)

Kathy Szakatis | 26 comments I enjoyed reading this book as it had all the components I like...mystery, suspense and love. The shipwreck/treasure hunting was exciting but thought of exploring a shipwreck is a little eerie to me. However, I can imagine the thrill for those explorers who like to dive. I liked the images of the beach, lighthouse and town. I was also glad the main character decided to take some risks and explore a different path for herself.

Side note: A few years ago, I spent a weekend as a lighthouse keeper with my husband and two friends at the DeTour Lighthouse off the coast of Drummond Island. The setting was different from the story...as this lighthouse sits several miles offshore and it had already been rehabbed. However, we were assigned chores and provided food/beverages for visitors. So the book brought back memories of some of the adventures we had that weekend.

message 4: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Pederson | 19 comments We ordered a Kindle so I could read this book and received it today! After a few painful hours of getting it set up, I am ready to read the October book!

message 5: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Pederson | 19 comments I got half way through this book and had to quit (although I skimmed to the end). I loved the story idea, but the one dimensional and repetitive writing style got in the way, so much so that I didn't care how it ended. But I am looking forward to reading Octobers "bonus" book!

message 6: by Meghan (new)

Meghan I have very mixed feelings about this one - Katherine, I also found the writing style to be repetitive.. And the main character to be one-dimensional. Sometimes I wanted to scream at her "just kiss him!" or "woman up!!!". I also had a hard time understanding why her parents were letting her deal with the whole thing.. why aren't you worried about this, parents?.......

I also had a hard time getting into the story - I kept thinking "why would lost silver from 100 years ago make a family lose their house, make a boyfriend break up with this girl, and make the girl lose her job.... really!??! And you're in a different state.. you're telling me everyone found out that someone a long time ago who might have been a criminal is related to you and everyone bails?......

That being said, I was very drawn in when they were diving for the treasure, when they were uncovering the mystery of the ship and of her ancestor - that part was cool.

See? Very mixed.. I don't know how to rate this one..

In other news (Kathy, you've inspired me) - I'm googling "Lighthouse AirBnB" .. ;-)

message 7: by brompton (new)

brompton brompton | 26 comments I think I'm going to skip this book. Not because I wouldn't be able to get it. But because another book (James Clavell's Shogun) has me and I feel like if I don't finish it as soon as, I'll die from curiosity... I'll get the book as soon as I have finished the one I'm reading now and follow up.

message 8: by brompton (new)

brompton brompton | 26 comments Ok, miracle happened and the day after I've commented, I finished the other book and started our monthly reading right away.
Now I'm almost halfway through and this is an OK read for me. The story is full of clichés I'm not fond of, no complex characters and I kind of know the ending already... After what I've been reading it's a nice book because I don't have to think at all, and I knid of enjoy that now. I have many more things to write but i'm in a rush now. I'll get back to it soonish.

message 9: by brompton (last edited Oct 27, 2017 02:43AM) (new)

brompton brompton | 26 comments So I'm back to it now... To me Dawn is someone I would never be... Very shallow, very predictable, trying to be complex, but she just can't be... And I agree with Meghan about many things. The parents don't care about the fact that their home might be taken from them, which is very irresponsible. However, I can't blame this Todd guy for breaking up with Dawn... She hid quite a lot of things from him. And yes it is very stupid that the day after everyone found out about her parents and great grandfather Dawn is broken up with and also fired from her job... And boom best idea: buy a light house, in the town where her parents whom she is ashamed of live... Besides really, after all the misfortune happens at the start of the book, the whole plot becomes predictable. She is ought to solve the problem and meet her prince charming by the end of the book. So though the idea is very good, to me it's clear the author is hoping to get her book made into a hollywood film as soon as. And to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if the casting was already happening.

message 10: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekahmaria92) | 70 comments I think that’s why I liked this book. It’s just a story. Nothing overly complex and it was a nice easy read.

However, I’m the type of person that likes everything I read. There are books that have taken me longer to get through but I’m never disappointed that I read a book :)

message 11: by brompton (new)

brompton brompton | 26 comments The book itself is fine and I do enjoy it honestly, after reading a few more complex books it is a refreshing feeling that I just read and don't have to think so much. I was quite happy to start it, and will finish it very soon too. But this won't be my favourite, nor a book I would re-read. That's all. I didn't mean to be offensive and hurt anybody with my criticism.